Can I run ignition control only?

A general forum and a place for initial or prospective users. See Manuals/Documentation
Click here to enter
Contact a Forum Administrator
If unsure where to post, post in this sub-forum.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

andy1303
MS/Extra Newbie

Can I run ignition control only?

Post by andy1303 »

Hi,
Please humour me on this newbie question, but I want to slowly migrate over to full fuel injection/programmable ignition and megasquirt seems the ideal way to go. However, due to my circumstances/abilities it seems to make most sense for me to to control the ignition first. It's my understanding this will make the most difference to my engine. Since I haven't jumped straight in yet, I'd assume I'd be using a V3 megasquirt, and I want to use edis or just the edis coil pack if this is possible.
I'm running a 2.2 vw aircooled type 4 engine currently on carbs/dissy and a very hot cam that doesn't give me much bottom end torque.
So firstly is it possible to go ignition only, and secondly does anyone have any hints or pointers?
Thanks

Andy
woh
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by woh »

Yes, you can do ignition only. Just don't connect the injectors.

MSI v3 with MSnS-extra firmware is a good place to start. You can always upgrade to MSII later if needed.
andy1303
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by andy1303 »

So I don't need to do anything like put a resistor across the injector outputs? Might sound silly but in my head the logic follows it makes the ecu think the injectors are actually there?
and can I just hook up the relevant bits? Can I control the coil pack direct or do I have to use the edis controller?
Thanks

Andy
woh
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by woh »

No, you don't need to do anything with the injector side.

You can run an EDIS and associated coil pack, or just the coil pack itself. You will have to have a toothed wheel on the crank.

Check out the success stories for similiar setup and/or give some other people a few days to answer that have experience with the VW engine.
pete
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by pete »

I just got my Mustang up and running with a 2.2 board and EDIS, no fuel. Can't see any difference in EDIS4 and EDIS8. It's working well but I have not set the timing table yet. I'm using the default table.

Just follow the instructions here
http://megasquirt.sourceforge.net/extra/index.html

With the latest Mega tune the screens are a bit different than in the instructions but they still apply. Also I found the coils I was using are not laid out the way the instructions say. Just make sure you understand which primary wire is hooked to which lead on the EDIS 4. The trigger leads are on the outside and correspond to the plug wire terminals. I wired it the way the drawing shows and it was backwards for the firing order labeled on the coil packs.

I too was worried about running with no injectors. Once I got up and running I noticed the injector duty cycle pegging at 100%. Don't know if that is a problem or not but I set the rev limiter to fuel only and set the hard limit to 250 RPM. That way fuel is always cut when the motor is running.

Make sure you set this page jsut like how you see it here.

It will run if you don't but the advance will not be stable. I also found the fixed angle setting was not changeable. The only reason I tried to change it was I was trying to test if Multi Spark worked. It doesn't work with my EDIS 8 module.