Timing advance with engine RPM

A general forum and a place for initial or prospective users. See Manuals/Documentation
Click here to enter
Contact a Forum Administrator
If unsure where to post, post in this sub-forum.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

BottleFed70
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Timing advance with engine RPM

Post by BottleFed70 »

Hi guys,

Can anyone tell me why nobody has their spark timing advance all the way up to redline? I always see timing graphs that show the timing to be "full in" at between 3000-4000rpm.

Wouldn't it make sence to have the timing advance all the way up to 6000rpm?
1970 Ford Mustang
MSII, v3.0 PCB, v2.36 firmware, Megatune 2.25
pete
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by pete »

You want all your timing in as soon as the motor can accept it. You'll find that each combo will be able to take a diffferent amount of advance and the amount of advance the motor can take will not increase above ~3500 RPM. This is at WOT.

So in short. If you get best power with 35 degrees at 3500 RPM you won't get any more power with 40 degrees at 6000RPMs. Why this is I don't know but this has been shown over and over on engine dyno's and at the track.
BottleFed70
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by BottleFed70 »

pete wrote:You want all your timing in as soon as the motor can accept it. You'll find that each combo will be able to take a diffferent amount of advance and the amount of advance the motor can take will not increase above ~3500 RPM. This is at WOT.
For the most part I think I know what I want my timing to be. My gueation was about why "If you get best power with 35 degrees at 3500 RPM you won't get any more power with 40 degrees at 6000RPMs" is true. My initial thought would be that "the higher the rpm the more ignition advance you need. I was wondering why this isn't the case.
1970 Ford Mustang
MSII, v3.0 PCB, v2.36 firmware, Megatune 2.25
bluetrepidation
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by bluetrepidation »

Cylinder pressures are so high above 3500 RPM that the fuel burns much must faster so more timing is not needed. The increase in pressure kinda does the advancing for you if you get what I mean.

A.J.
1999 Saturn SC2 1.9L DOHC 4 cyl NA
MS II Blue Processor w/ 2.686t5 Beta Code
V3 PCB
MegaTune 2.25
Innovate LC1 WB O2 Sensor
OBD I Saturn Wasted Spark DIS
w/ Cooling Fan and IAC
Jarmo
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Jarmo »

I have usually gained a few hp on top rpm by pulling a degree or two from max ignition advance after peak power. (NA rally motors)
pete
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by pete »

I found this
http://www.jcna.com/library/tech/tech0013.html

Seems there are many factors, which makes sense, but for higher RPM's it seems increased VE requires decrease in timing for a given RPM. Seems like if your VE is steadily increasing with RPM it stand to reason you won't need any more advance.