MS2 DIS Saturn files for OBD1 code2.6

A general forum and a place for initial or prospective users. See Manuals/Documentation
Click here to enter
Contact a Forum Administrator
If unsure where to post, post in this sub-forum.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

S.Bretz
Master MS/Extra'er

MS2 DIS Saturn files for OBD1 code2.6

Post by S.Bretz »

Waring....Beta code use with cuation. I don't know how well, knock retard will work, but everything esle seems fine on a SATURN...fueling and timing wise.

I edited the .ini file for you guys. Try setting the dwell time to .01ms.

The OBD1 ICM does the dwell on its own. I wasn't sure what the MS would do if you set it to zero so that is about as close as you can get without hitting zero...i did this because I know some entries of Zero, will result in something like a 13...not good. I ran it at 1ms and its fine. If you run into probelms at .01ms, try slowly increasing it to 1.0. I don't recommend anythign over 2ms, as your ICM may last only a few days/50miles.
Lordprimate
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by Lordprimate »

Did you fry an ICM .. going over 2ms of dwell time... Did you have running problems...

at first i was only running 8ms.. the max allowed by MT config file...

then i edited it to allow 25 ...

didnt really notice a differenct in functionality... and its been running for quite a while at 25ms... the ICM isnt fryd(yet)

ill give it a try... just to see...

And how did you edit the INI file.... I mean what did you edit and why?
MS-II Blue V3 PCB
MT 2.25 Final Release w/ MS2/Extra 2.0.1 Firmware
In a 1.9L 93 Saturn SC2 w/ GM DIS.....

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/741154
tebriel
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by tebriel »

primate,
you definetly don't need that high of a dwell. sam was running that at first, and found his spark duration was too large also. here's the thread on PR.net: http://www.plastikracing.net/phpbb/view ... 7&start=45

look for the long post :)
-teb
Lordprimate
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by Lordprimate »

werd,

well , i am about to flash 2.686t6 into the MS2...

i got the latest INI file... what was changed in S.Bretz INI ...

ill go ahead and set the dwell time to .01

i know i read about the ICM controling the dwell ... never occured to me to turn MS control to zero...

OH yea ...

and it just hit my eyes that you also changed the Spark Duration to under 2ms as well..

so thats both Dwell and Spark duration that need to be changed... ?! werd
MS-II Blue V3 PCB

S.Bretz
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by S.Bretz »

Yes...set spark duration to 1.5ms 2 works too. Its name/title is decieving. Youwould think that saprk duration is how long outry to hold the spark during arch, but it is the null time between when the spark stops and when the next "start charge" event happens.
S.Bretz
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by S.Bretz »

Update. I was running the dwell at .01, and MT read it a Zero.

It also seems that in my case the ICM looses timing control when the dwell is set to .2ms or less. It ran fine at .3, but I left it up at .5ms. Its seems to be strong and I'm getting not break up probelms at all.

So... lets say this.... start your dwell OVer like at 1ms or 2ms, and slowly turn it down. I just stepped down .1ms at a time until the spark changed. I turned it to .2 and the car died in traffic....YAY. I turned it back to .5ms and it ran strong the rest of the way home.

Also, with all the ICM's have had in the last 6 monthes, not 2 of them liked the same numbes....true I was off by ALOT on the dwell and SD times, but I would expect everyone elses to like a few more or less dwell time....just play with it and you should get a good setting after a few trys.
Lordprimate
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by Lordprimate »

Well i burned in the 2.686t6 beta and got the latest ini. file...

i dropped my Spark Duration time down to 2 and then while driving (not because of problems just to see) i dropped it to 1.5..

i dropped my Dwell Duration time down to 1(i tried .01 and it said it wouldnt allow it (i guess thats what you modded in your ini file Sam.))

but i have been driving it and it feels stronger in the midrange then it did before... dont know why?

it idles much better

over all im very pleased with the new code... I have Very consistant startups... No tweeking with the IAC steps at all... Just VE tuning so far...

now i just have to tweek the X-Tau table a bit to catch the lean dips during hard shifting... and all will be good

Good job, EVERONE, who contributed to the code ... Nicely done...
MS-II Blue V3 PCB

S.Bretz
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by S.Bretz »

Yes...thank you everyone. I'm so very happy with the MS2 right now....and so happy that I finally got the timing ish figured out. I just ordered a fidezna cam gear to bring the exhaust adv back to stock (maybe +2 or 3 to help spool), and another muffler so the LS1's can hear me coming as easily...plus it will kill the reat of the turbine whirl (i love that noise...it just throws off the sleeper :twisted: ).

I'm so pleased right now. I might have to make Melissa sleep on the floor( but not after some IDB of cousre) so the MS2 and I can cuddle tonight.
bluetrepidation
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by bluetrepidation »

I've been running 25 ms dwell for a long time now with no problems. What are you trying to accomplish here?

A.J.
1999 Saturn SC2 1.9L DOHC 4 cyl NA
MS II Blue Processor w/ 2.686t5 Beta Code
V3 PCB
MegaTune 2.25
Innovate LC1 WB O2 Sensor
OBD I Saturn Wasted Spark DIS
w/ Cooling Fan and IAC
S.Bretz
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by S.Bretz »

This is not one of the best dyno's but it has the most drastic drop in power...due to the wrong settings on the timing....plus in the last 6 monthes, I have been threw 4 igntion control modules...I don't feel like going to the junkyard every 1.5 monthes to pull an ICM....it was getting old.

You can see a huge loss in power between 6800-7200rpm.....plus, it always pulsated under high boost..it felt like it was skipping along. YOu can see this in the jagged HP line when it comes up to full boost. We thoug it was the AE toggling on and off, so we turned that off (hence the lean a/f during spool)

One the better runs, when it didn't dip as bad, the A/f where higher..in the hihg 11's to mid 12's under full boost....the more it broke up, the richer it got and the higher the EGT's. EGt's woud stay in the 1300 MOST of the time...then clim to 1450-1500 during the "bad" spot...then come back down after 7200.
bluetrepidation
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Well I'm running a NA engine here so it must not be as noticeable. When I get some time I'll tinker with these settings again like you are suggesting and see if I can notice a change. Very interesting though.

A.J.
V3 PCB
MegaTune 2.25
w/ Cooling Fan and IAC
tebriel
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by tebriel »

well i have no real noticable problems running spark.
i guess the only thing would be low throttle, low rpm cruising, a little misfire. but not totally sure. it could be the acc settings fing with me or something.

otherwise it rocks hardcore! i think i have like 30* advance at 18psi. :)
-teb
S.Bretz
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by S.Bretz »

That's just wrong...your gonna blow yourself up. :lol: Are you sure you are using 93?
bluetrepidation
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Yeah anything above 28 at WOT on my NA engine and it pings. I am using lowest grade pump gas as well though.

A.J.
V3 PCB
MegaTune 2.25
w/ Cooling Fan and IAC
bluetrepidation
Experienced MS/Extra'er

I also messed with the settings like you suggested and noticed no change fyi.

A.J.
V3 PCB
MegaTune 2.25
w/ Cooling Fan and IAC
tebriel
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by tebriel »

yeah it's 93, and no pinging here, i check the plugs after every time driving it and there's never been any sign of detno. i do also have low compression though :)