VW ABF Distributor setup

A general forum and a place for initial or prospective users. See Manuals/Documentation
Click here to enter
Contact a Forum Administrator
If unsure where to post, post in this sub-forum.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

AfricanDubber
MS/Extra Newbie

VW ABF Distributor setup

Post by AfricanDubber »

Hi,

I use V3 MS II with direct coil control enabled on the board. The code version is 2.36, Megatune 2.25. and the car is a VW 16V ABF.

I have thoroughly researched the mods suggested for VW. I trigger from the hall, with a 12V pull up and I have tach signal as evidenced by Megatune. I have a problem, however, setting the correct trigger offset using a dizzy from a CIS-E 16V. I cannot get the engine to run with the 60 degree suggested by many as the "correct" offset angle. I would appreciate assistance on this setup. The car runs but it is hard to start and timing appears to be way too advanced.

Also, with the pull up circuit install in the hall signal, woul you still get the ignition LED to work? I tried moving the dizzy around but never succeeded to get get the LED to work, to verify the trigger signal.

Sorry for this long post. But I really need some help.

AfricanDubber.
jassem99
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Re: VW ABF Distributor setup

Post by jassem99 »

AfricanDubber wrote:Hi,

I use V3 MS II with direct coil control enabled on the board. The code version is 2.36, Megatune 2.25. and the car is a VW 16V ABF.
The ABF dizzy only has one window so its not possible to obtain the necessary signal from it unless you want to run fuel only. To run ignition you'd need to get your rpm from the crank sensor or swap the 1-window dizzy with a 4-window one. Or convert it to a 1-window one if you prefer.

Basil
Mk1rocco
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Re: VW ABF Distributor setup

Post by Mk1rocco »

jassem99 wrote:
The ABF dizzy only has one window so its not possible to obtain the necessary signal from it unless you want to run fuel only. To run ignition you'd need to get your rpm from the crank sensor or swap the 1-window dizzy with a 4-window one. Or convert it to a 1-window one if you prefer.

Basil
I thought that too when I first read his post but then realized he said he was running the distributor from a CIS-E 16v which has 4 windows.
AfricanDubber
MS/Extra Newbie

ABF ignition setup.

Post by AfricanDubber »

Guys,

I switched to the CIS-E dizzy because I realize the ABF only had one window. With the CIS-E dizzy, however, I can't set the trigger angle to 60° and get the car running. Here is how I proceeded:

- Turn the engine to cyl 1 TDC
- Turn Rotor in dizzy to face notch.
- Set trigger angle to 60
- Set spark table to a fixed 25 (my car idles at 2000 around 50 Kpa - big cams)

With these settings, the car won't start or will start with way too much advance. One thing I noticed was that the hall sender connector sits at apprximately 270 ° instead of being downward as it does with 16V engines. This makes makes me think the ABF positions the dizzy at a different angle than the KR or the ABA. Any thoughts.

Basil, would you elaborate more on using the crank mag sensor on the ABF. I read people had a lot of problem triggering with this sensor not knowing whether it was a hall or VR signal. Remember I am doing this straight from MS II V3, no extra code here.

Thanks.

AfricanDubber
Mk1rocco
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Mk1rocco »

The ABF is also equipped with a 60-2 trigger wheel and a VR crank sensor so one of your ignition options is to use that for your timing signal instead of the distributor. Look HERE for more details concerning that. I'm planning to use MSnS on a similarly equipped VW block (ABA), I plan to use the stock trigger wheel and VR sensor and eliminate the distributor altogether using instead wasted spark coil packs.
AfricanDubber
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by AfricanDubber »

Mk1Rocco,

Thanks for the info. I guess using MS II and V2.36 I don't have access to the wheel decoding algorithm yet. So, with my current setting, the mag sensor is not an option for now, right?
Mk1rocco
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Mk1rocco »

I'm not at all up to date on MS II firmware, but I thought wheel decoder was an option, a quick look at the MS II manual revealed THIS.
AfricanDubber
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by AfricanDubber »

MK1Rocco,

This is MS II V2.6+, not yet released to the public. As I am just starting with MS, I decided to stick to the most recent released version, V2.36 (which does not have wheel decoding, I think).
AfricanDubber
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by AfricanDubber »

Anyway, just blew up the VB921 trying to figure out the correct trigger angle :x . The battery was low while I was turning the dizzy by hand to determine the input capture. I guess the lesson learned is NEVER do this with a low battery. I am perplexed, however, with the dizzy I had ( VW part 027 905 205P, Bosch 0237 521 010). When the engine is at TDC and the rotor facing the notch, the trailing edge of the sensor faces the hall magnet. My understanding of the instructions for the VW is that it should be the leading edge of the window that should face the magnet. If that's the case, thay may be an explanation of my triggering difficulties.

I'd really appreciate if someone who've done this before could look at this and clarify it for me. I know there are many of you out there who have done this (or know how to do it) with basic MS II. :(
AfricanDubber
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by AfricanDubber »

As the VB blew up (my fault), I have modded the board to forego the IGBT circuitry and trigger from JS10 -- IGN. I'll have to use a module then. I have looked and looked at the suggested mods for VW and all I see are for V2.22 or V3 MSI applications. if anyone has a successful a V3 MSII install they can share, that would be most welcome.
corsa_A
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by corsa_A »

I was having ms2 on vauxhall 16v engine. You can use your dizzy with 4 windows hall input and dumb 124 bosch module with one standard coil. In my setup evrithing was fine.
AfricanDubber
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by AfricanDubber »

I used the ABF coil/ignition combo. The car starts erratically and when it starts it's really advanced (over 50 degrees at 2000 rpms). When I try to change the trigger offset, it dies and then it becomes impossible to restart.

One thing I realiwed by disconnecting the dizzy and and turning it manually is that the OEM spark is much hotter. Spark produced by MS is erratic duering cranking and sometimes shorts to the dizzy :?

Corsa_A, Can you post your MSQ, please?