Possible coil problem?

A general forum and a place for initial or prospective users. See Manuals/Documentation
Click here to enter
Contact a Forum Administrator
If unsure where to post, post in this sub-forum.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

N1XRR
MS/Extra Newbie

Possible coil problem?

Post by N1XRR »

Hey everyone

I've got a MS1 v2.2 with MSnS-E version 029q2. I'm running a '88 RX7 turbo engine following Muythaibxr's example. Right now, the car starts up perfectly from cold, up until about 170 degree's. I have noticed until 170 degree's the leading plugs fire about 5 deg BTDC VERY consistantly (very little jitter, maybe 1 degree max). Above 170 degree's the spark gets very erratic, to the point where it might fire at 5 deg BTDC once every 10 revolutions. As a result, the cranking rpms is slow and it just won't start. I have a shielded wire running from the CAS, and have checked the signal, and it is nearly perfect, even while hot. I only get a variation of about +/- 20rpms while cranking.

I suspect the coil I'm using is getting too hot and is having problems, but wanted to know if anyone else has experience similar problems with thier coils.

Also note, when the car is running and at temp, it has absolutely no problems making a nice clean spark.

Any ideas?
dooveeboy
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by dooveeboy »

Yeah I'd say your on the money !
I would swap the coils over and see if the
secondrys get as unstable ?
And you will feel the one get hot if its buggared.
Shout yourself a new pair and some leads to match.
Your Rota will love you for it ! 8)
Ms1 v2.2 board, Running Mt 2.25 fuel only .Squirting my 308ci powered 76 LX Torana with Mustang 5.0HO injectors and Dry 600cfm Holley carb throttle body. Have a look ?http://www.msefi.com/viewtopic.php?t=19937
BottleFed70
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by BottleFed70 »

You might also want to try turning down the dwell. Too much dwell makes for a hot coil..combine that with a hot engine compartment and you could have problems.
1970 Ford Mustang
MSII, v3.0 PCB, v2.36 firmware, Megatune 2.25