board modification help needed for v2.2, msI, dizzy mode.

A general forum and a place for initial or prospective users. See Manuals/Documentation
Click here to enter
Contact a Forum Administrator
If unsure where to post, post in this sub-forum.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

Bimmerjim®
Helpful MS/Extra'er

board modification help needed for v2.2, msI, dizzy mode.

Post by Bimmerjim® »

hi, im trying to find out what board modifications need to be made to the ms v2.2 board to run spark. right now the car runs on fuel only. we are trying to use a 60-2 wheel, fixed dizzy and a single coil. we are running msns extra, im not sure of the version right off hand but i can find out.

iv looked at http://megasquirt.sourceforge.net/extra/setup-msns.html but the directions have changed since last time i looked at that site (quite some time ago) they dont seem to refrence what board mods need to be made to the v2.2 board, it only refrences what changes need to be made to the v3 board. that i can tell...

if someone could be so kind as to give me the step by step what needs to be jumpered/removed/part added.. and mabye a few pictures that would be greatly apreceated.
1989 BMW 325i, custom fab turbo.
V3 MS2 extra, 36-1 wheel + VR, Ind coil control/Wasted spark, IC, BC, FC, LC.
MSI Wind, Win XP, 10", 1.6 ghz, 2gb ram (2.3 lbs) + usb to db9
killerbee
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by killerbee »

If I understand correctly you will need LM wheel decoder board and one VB921 and use stock distributor and coil ... why you not go wasted spark distributorless mode it will cost 12$ more for onother 2 vb921 and it works great on M20B25 turbo engine - now I drive with only 14psi of boost and make 12.0@132mph on street tires with 2.6sec 60ft :idea:
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Post by jsmcortina »

I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

My Success story: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 04&t=34277
MSEXTRA documentation at: http://www.msextra.com/doc/index.html
New users, please read the "Forum Help Page".
Bimmerjim®
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Bimmerjim® »

killerbee wrote:If I understand correctly you will need LM wheel decoder board and one VB921 and use stock distributor and coil ... why you not go wasted spark distributorless mode it will cost 12$ more for onother 2 vb921 and it works great on M20B25 turbo engine - now I drive with only 14psi of boost and make 12.0@132mph on street tires with 2.6sec 60ft :idea:
my car is msII ecu on a v2.2 board. edis6, m20b25 turbo.

the car im working on is a friends NA m20b27 super eta with an i cam, i springs, etc. fuel is working now, but he dosent want to go edis coilpack like i have. were just looking for a simple way to controll spark using the parts hes got.

nice times. need traction?:lol: i get a 1.6 60 ft on stock suspention (heated springs) with some 8.5x23" M&H slicks. geeze, at 132mhp, youd probibly be a high 10 with traction! :lol:
Last edited by Bimmerjim® on Fri Aug 18, 2006 6:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bimmerjim®
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Bimmerjim® »

im staring at these diagrams...

im not seeing a diagram that directly tells me what board mods to make... im using a v2.2 board and msI ecu. all the documentation seems to explain what to do on a v3 pcb.

bah. my brain is going to melt. i just want to use the stock 60-2 wheel, and single coil to fire the fixed dizzy.

but, from what im reading it say i need to use three LED outputs, using a VB921 circut (as posted above) and this: is a vb921 curcut right?

sorry im just not getting it. i think i need a VB921ZVFI fett. can i get some of those from digikey? remove the r57 to ground jumper (if there is one) put a 330 ohm resistor inline from the ign in (witch comes from r36) ... then the fet has one gorund(3), one in from the ign in (1), and one ign out (2). i dont get what the other two boxes represent with the ign out. (igbtout) and (ign) i dont see how this conects to any of the three led's for spark out.. do i need to build 3 vb921 curcuts?

can someone dumb this down a little for me? :lol:
killerbee
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by killerbee »

I think you need to build first :

LM1815 wheel decoder :

Then you need 1 VB921 :

Attach it to SPARK A :

Then setup the wheel decoder and fire the coil with distributor ...

Another setup is to add 2 more VB921 - it is easy using the picture above attach them to SPARK B and SPARK C get one edis 6 coil or like mine 2 EDIS 4 coils or other and be distributor less :idea:

Here are photos of mine setup :

LM board and 3 VB921 board :

The megasquirt with DB15 controller for VR , SPARK , LAUNCH , NITROUS , TACHNOMETER .... :

my engine and 2 coils (not mounted on picture now sits perfect on aluminium piece behind engine ) from edis 4 I use 6 outputs and have 2 spare :

Bimmerjim®
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Bimmerjim® »

first off, nice setup.

secondly...
i might as well be trying to read chineese. this just dosent make sense to me. if someone gives me instructions, (insert peg A into slot B) i understand, iv built many many MS v2.2 borads... but i cant read curcuts like that. if there were instructions like: you need these digikey part numbers blah blah blah.. and then step one, conect this part to this part, step two conect this to this, id be able to do it.

man, does anyone build and sell the anything like that?

would we be better off just geting a v3 pcb and msII? there has to be an easyer way than this. the ms is running fuel only. the problem right now is we have removed the afm, so the factory motronic ecu is running on flat timing. its not advancing.
killerbee
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by killerbee »

It will be easier to get MS1 ver 3 and when there is MS2 extra only change the processor ...
I can send you pictures of my board but will not undestand from them ...

hmmmmmmmmmmm let me think ....

you can use this board :

http://www.glensgarage.com/catalog/mega ... -p-48.html

but you will need to build VB921 board again

Best way maybe is to get MS1 V3
koopa53
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by koopa53 »

I’m new to MS spark and have just finished modifying a 2.2 board to run wasted spark on a 3.0L Alfa V6 using a 60-2 wheel, dual 02 sensors, 3 X VB921 drivers, VR crank sensor, etc. I was previously running fuel only (8X8) with stock dizzy.

MSNS Extra, 029q2

Like Bimmerjim, I found all this was a bit overwhelming to start with, but yesterday turned the key for the first time and got the engine to fire and idle for short periods. Lots of tuning and spark/fuel set-up to go. I’ll need some help here. :)

I mounted the VB921’s and the VR sensor circuit on some pro board and fitted them into a small project box. The extra O2 circuit and tacho modification circuit were done on the 2.2 board. Bimmerjim, your project sounds similar to mine and I have more photos of the process and may be able to help with details of the other board mods I made.