Alternative to VB921 (9 amp capable) OR Two VB921s per coil?

A general forum and a place for initial or prospective users. See Manuals/Documentation
Click here to enter
Contact a Forum Administrator
If unsure where to post, post in this sub-forum.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

thedge
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Alternative to VB921 (9 amp capable) OR Two VB921s per coil?

Post by thedge »

Im currently using Electromotive XDI coilpacks. In a blurb about the XDI system it says that it charges the coils to 9 amps/its coil drivers are 9 amp units. It goes on to say that the ouput is up to 150mJ for 2ms+.

Im thinking it would be worthwhile to try to duplicate that if possible. So is there a better VB921/similar that is capable of 9+ amps? Or....

Can I use a pair of VB921s to drive each coil, and wire the VBs up as if I was doing wasted COP? That is, two VBs, 680 ohm resistors running off each spark output, but instead of four coils for four VBs, have two coils for four VBs? I would then scope out dwell in the standard way with both VBs going through a single 0.1 ohm resistor to ground.

That should prevent each one from going into current overload, and let me charge the coils to their full potential. Is there a downside to this that im not thinking of?

And heres a pic of the coilpacks in action. I accidentally knocked one of the copper wires away and saw that it could do this, so I took both of them off and took a pic. Yes I know spark length isnt a real measure, but this is a d*** cool pic and goes well with the DANGER HIGH VOLTAGE sticker on the coilpacks 8) 8)

1986 Porsche 944 Turbo
2.7 liter MID sleeved big bore, Wossner pistons, Vitesse Stage 2 turbo, coilovers, various weight deletes, and loads of other stuff.