EDIS with non-Ford coilpacks yes or no?

A general forum and a place for initial or prospective users. See Manuals/Documentation
Click here to enter
Contact a Forum Administrator
If unsure where to post, post in this sub-forum.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

People16vT
Helpful MS/Extra'er

EDIS with non-Ford coilpacks yes or no?

Post by People16vT »

hello im asking myself a question

can i use a VW 2l8v mk4 engine who is using VW coilpacks with the Ford EDIS module and controll??

the thing is that im using stock vw 2l 16v plug wires and the ends dont fit the Ford coilpack but would fit directly on the vw coilpack ...didn't tried yet but looks like it would plug in good

any advices?? if the coil's impedences are nearly the same i guess it would be okay ?? or the motorcraft module would only be able to operate the Ford EDIS coilpack??

thanks
VW 2.16vT MS in progress
Minami Kotaro
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by Minami Kotaro »

You should be able to fit the EDIS coil ends on your existing plug wires. All you need is a crimping tool. :D
1967 VW Beetle
2276 cc
v3.57 board, MSNS-e 029v, EDIS
Check out my ongoing story.
renns
Site Admin

Post by renns »

A wide variety of coilpacks have been used successfully with the EDIS module, from memory: Mazda coil packs, Ford COP units, and BMW COP units. The EDIS module has built-in current limiting, so your max spark energy will be determined by coil inductance. A few people have done the math and bench-testing. Data was posted here in the past, but much of it was in the MSnSEDIS section of the forum that has not reappeared since the hacker strike hit msefi a few weeks back. In the end, it's the on-car testing that really determines suitability. Give it a go, and report back here.

Roger.
1979 Mazda RX-7, running MSnSExtra hi-res 09c for fuel and spark control on a turbocharged, intercooled, and (of course!) injected 13B rotary.
renns
Site Admin

Post by renns »

Lance,

You are right! I did a search, and found my old post from way back entitled "EDIS Coil Compatibility":

http://www.msefi.com/viewtopic.php?t=6177

Thanks,
Roger.
1979 Mazda RX-7, running MSnSExtra hi-res 09c for fuel and spark control on a turbocharged, intercooled, and (of course!) injected 13B rotary.
thedge
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by thedge »

Lance wrote:Roger,

Just to clarify, the MSnEDIS forum was merged with the MSnS-E forum, and the posts were transferred there. So they should still exist for the most part, and were not lost in the hacker attack.

The MSnEDIS software used to be something separate from MSnS-E, but that was quite a while ago. And we had a lot of people posting MS-II EDIS questions in that forum too, which was confusing for everyone.

So now there's just the MSnS-E and MSnS-E development forums.

Lance.
Actually I have a question along those lines. This is the only forum ive ever encountered that actually dumps posts. Why the whole thing of removing posts after they havent been posted to for a while? Seems counterproductive to me since so much information is lost even though it is still relevent to current code...
1986 Porsche 944 Turbo
2.7 liter MID sleeved big bore, Wossner pistons, Vitesse Stage 2 turbo, coilovers, various weight deletes, and loads of other stuff.