a couple quick & easy questions.

A general forum and a place for initial or prospective users. See Manuals/Documentation
Click here to enter
Contact a Forum Administrator
If unsure where to post, post in this sub-forum.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

64Vair
Helpful MS/Extra'er

a couple quick & easy questions.

Post by 64Vair »

First question, does anyone know which wire, (blue or white), is the + wire on a Ford crank trigger sensor? I am going to use that as my VR, and need to know.
Next question, actually 2, is what do PIP and SAW mean? I know they are acronyms, I think SAW has something to do with using the last trigger signal for the next event.
Thanks!
Tom
PSIG
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by PSIG »

Hey Tom -

I don't recall and don't have a connector on the shelf at the moment, but the sensor contacts are (+) or the left and (-) on the right, when looking into the sensor with the 3 locating nibs on the sides and bottom. The (+) would go to MS DB37 pin 24, of course, whatever the wire color. You can easily verify with a voltmeter if you wish.

PIP and SAW are used by EDIS to send and receive signals through MegaSquirt. PIP is Profile Ignition Pick-up where a VR signal is decoded from the toothed wheel and sent to MS once for each coil firing event, i.e. every 180° for a 4-cylinder and every 90° for an 8-cylinder. The signal is processed by MS and sent back as the Spark Angle Word to tell EDIS when to fire relative to the PIP, causing the coil to fire the wanted advance in degrees.

If that explanation is clear as mud, read more about it here:
http://www.megamanual.com/ms2/EDIS.htm
David
64Vair
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by 64Vair »

Thank you for your help! Perfect, that is what I needed to know. As it turns out, it is the blue wire that is +, and that would match a diagram I found on this site, (was if I was looking at the top or bottom of the sensor on the diagram, or if the + and - were placed "in place" etc.
I am cutting all but three teeth off the crank trigger, and will run it into my 7 pin GM HEI module. I know I can eliminate the module, but I would have to undo mods I had to do to use the 7 pin module, plus the car is working great now, so I just want to get the more stable signal from the crank.
Thanks for your help, MUCH appreciated!
Tom