TBI/EDIs conversion question

A general forum and a place for initial or prospective users. See Manuals/Documentation
Click here to enter
Contact a Forum Administrator
If unsure where to post, post in this sub-forum.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

truckmike
MS/Extra Newbie

TBI/EDIs conversion question

Post by truckmike »

hello all.
i am planning on doing a TBI conversion to my 86 mazda b2000. i am planning on getting MS-1 on pbc version 3.0 (from sparkandfuel) as i plan on adding a turbo at some point (to this motor or the next.)

my second planning question:

my current engine setup has the CMP built into the distributor (a hall effect sensor,) and i was wanting to do an EDIS setup. i know that both MS-1 (what i'm planning on getting for turbo control) and MS-2 can handle an EDIS setup, but would i need to install a different CMP on my camshaft sprocket, a CKP on my flywheel/crank pully, or would i have to leave my stock distributor in it's place?

all ideas will be considered. i am hoping to get rid of my distributor to reduce the stress on my camshaft, but if i have to keep it then i will.
PSIG
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by PSIG »

truckmike,

EDIS needs to trigger from a 36-1 trigger wheel you can adapt. Your distributor and cam sensor may be deleted if used for nothing else like driving the oil pump. :RTFM: Read-up on it here and be sure to follow all the sub-links as you go:
http://megasquirt.sourceforge.net/extra ... uneed.html

David
truckmike
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by truckmike »

thanks for the input. question #2-2. would i need to weld the 36-1 wheel onto my crank pully, or is there another method recomended?
PSIG
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by PSIG »

truckmike,

There are many ways to get 35 teeth onto the flywheel, crankshaft, balancer, crank pulley, etc. Most use a bolt-on adapted Ford wheels from various models. Many use aftermarket ones made for MSers. Others drill holes for steel pins or bolts. Do a search on here as well as Google and eBay for options.

David