Please post your Coil On Plug ( COP ) Success

A general forum and a place for initial or prospective users. See Manuals/Documentation
Click here to enter
Contact a Forum Administrator
If unsure where to post, post in this sub-forum.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

azaad
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Re: Please post your Coil On Plug ( COP ) Success

Post by azaad »

katok wrote:Toyota 4age 16v (Coil on plug -wasted spark mode)
-MS2 extra V3
-36-1 wheel
-C.O.P.from Toyota 1SZ-Fe engine
-running dwell -2.6ms

are you using 330/660ohm with a 2N4033 transistor per COP or 330/660ohm with (2) 2N4033 to drive all 4 COPs?
azaad
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Re:

Post by azaad »

242ATL wrote:Yup. got it working. Had wasted spark with the toyota COP's for a while, worked great, finally got the sequential COP working just the other day. Posted all the pertinant info in the my success story. http://www.msruns.com/viewtopic.php?t=22411

cheers!

Mike

PS... thanks all you MSEXTRA code people for making this such a cool/fun project!

Can u drive 2 of 1nz coil off 1 2n4003 transistor?, or I have to wire 1 2n4003 per cop

Rgds.
Azaad
mr_minnis
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by mr_minnis »

88 Ford Mustang that was speed density from factory.
Now running MAF as fuel, % baro as spark
d585 coils and AEM EPM
MS3X
TS 2.6
FW 1.3
88 Stang LX Vert. 3.73s and MS3x, D585 Coils AEM EPM
joeyb
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by joeyb »

SRT4 motor with COP on injector. Running 33lb injectors on 8lbs of boost.
16vboost
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by 16vboost »

VW 16v Scirocco with VW logic level COP. I added a pair of TC4427 FET drivers to the (old) JBperf board. I'm running these in wasted spark mode because I'm also running stepper IAC, fan, tachout, and boost control. I had constant sync loss and misfires before I added the capacitor in parallel with the power lines as shown. This is with the same setup that had zero sync loss when driving the stock coil and dizzy. I now have about 4 sync losses on a 20 minutes drive but can't feel them. Plugs are now back to .035" gap and running 210 kPa of boost with no problem. Also running sequential injection.

-Alex
forcedfedmopar
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by forcedfedmopar »

COP 2.5l 8V mopar
36-1 crank trigger
1 tooth cam sensor in modified distributor
LS coils.
Ms3x 3.57
krisr
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by krisr »

Pontiac 400 V8
36-1 trigger, modified mallory distributor for cam
LS coils
Siemens 60lb/hr injectors
MS3 v3.0 w/X expansion and IOX

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jailgNdoa54
Sydney, Australia
1971 Holden Monaro HQ
MS3X Sequentially fuelled 400 Pontiac
whittlebeast
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by whittlebeast »

Here is my setup using the coils that come from DIY. I use the stock Honda dizzy with the advance plate welded and three of the four trigger points ground off for cam pickup. It all works great off my MS3X board. The dizzy is just a dust cover at this point.

Dwell 3ms
Spark 1ms

I ran them up to about 15000 RPM on the test mode throwing about 3/8" spark as a test and all was good. Scary but good....

http://www.nbs-stl.com/CRX/CRX%20Ignition.jpg

Here is my race car wiring diagram.

http://www.nbs-stl.com/CRX/Civic%20CRX%20Wiring.jpg

Andy
Roofy
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Roofy »

2005 Sunfire Ecotec 2.2 DOHC. I am using the LSJ 2.0 Cobalt SS Supercharged COP ignition coils. The car originally had the "Cassette waste spark" ignition with the single coil pack and module on the valve cover. It's a version of the SAAB setup. I modified the Cobalt cam sensor to fit in place of the power steering pump originally located on the intake cam. Set to "poll level" settings and running full sequential fuel and spark.

3.0ms dwell, 1 ms spark. Siemens 60# injectors. Have some tuning and wiring bugs to work out, but it runs pretty good!

I also integrated the MS3PRO into the factory wiring harness and retained full OEM pcm and BCM functions. Used some no longer needed fuse box spots on the car and retained factory power for the box, so I didn't need to add any extra relays or anything to the harness.
williambavila
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by williambavila »

here are ls coils on a 87 Buick Grand national. This is my build with the ms3pro ultimate
jsimmons
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by jsimmons »

I would like to share my experience with ford coyote coils thus far. I have a 2013 coyote running on ms3pro with cams enabled. Im using 2 quad sparks to run all 8 coils. So far everything has been flawless. I started out on gas and moved to methanol about a month ago. So far i have no issues lighting off methanol at around 5.0-5.2 afr (naturally aspirated) ive seen afrs down to the 4.0s and there was naturally a rich miss fire at those afrs n/a. Im not sure how far i can take these coils but seem to be able to fire methanol with no issues at this point. Im also running the stock coyote spark plug.
Tyler Townsley
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Tyler Townsley »

Car: 1965 Fairlane
engine: 2001 Lightning s/c 2 valve.
S?C 2008 Mustang
Coils: Ford Dumb coils with quad spark
Standard setup, MS3 xtra
Lots of learning but finally running but needs road tuning.
lugbolt
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by lugbolt »

I know this is an old thread and forgive me for reviving it. I'll add mine.

1975 Ford Maverick 438" windsor-based. Methanol injected (Ron's), so I am not using any fuel control built into the MS3X. Just running spark. Sequential, using a cam sync from price and a crank wheel from DIY. VW 4 tower coils, one on each side. Engine is mounted via motor plates so I just made a bracket to mount the coils down on the original engine mount pads, out of the way, near the oil pan. Had some issues getting it figured out but I finally got it and it runs well. It's not any faster than it was with the distributor/msd setup, but it starts and idles a whole lot better. I haven't been able to get it to the track to play with it either.