new extra board with short!

A general forum and a place for initial or prospective users. See Manuals/Documentation
Click here to enter
Contact a Forum Administrator
If unsure where to post, post in this sub-forum.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

tk_tech
Helpful MS/Extra'er

new extra board with short!

Post by tk_tech »

hey everyone i just finished my extra 2.0 for the ms2 3.0 board and have gone through it several times, i seem to have a short in the 5v circuit some where any help trouble shooting it would help.

also the pin assignments are very confusing, i am still learning, but just a little confused.

sean
md95
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by md95 »

This happened to me several years back with a 2.2 board..Had a direct short to ground on the 5 volt regulator circuit. It turned out that one of the PCB through hole's was connected to ground, which wasnt supposed to be. I found it by holding the PCB up to a bright light, and looking at each component hole in the entire 5 volt circuit path. I spotted a defect where the metal of the hole was touching the ground plane. Take note that any PCB hole that is connected to ground, should have 4 "slashes" that come out of the hole like an "x" so to speak, so check it over carefully. Other than that, look for a glob of solder that may be shorting as well. Other than that, its rather difficult to trouble shoot without actually looking at it...You will have to do some careful inspection and go over every hole and trace in the 5 volt circuit path.
-Matt-
1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse RS 420A Turbo- MS2 Extra- 2.1.0 Release
1992 Plymouth Laser RS 4g63 AWD Turbo MS2 Extra- 3.0.3s
tk_tech
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by tk_tech »

thats exactly what i am looking for right now nothing so far. i just thought there might be weak spot some one new about. thanks i'll keep looking
tk_tech
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by tk_tech »

thanks all fixed up

sean