No Spark Msns-E help needed.

A general forum and a place for initial or prospective users. See Manuals/Documentation
Click here to enter
Contact a Forum Administrator
If unsure where to post, post in this sub-forum.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

Cdn20valve
Helpful MS/Extra'er

No Spark Msns-E help needed.

Post by Cdn20valve »

Hey guys, my MS was running flawlessly until last week. We had a rainstorm, and it shorted something out. Spark would work inermitently. Until a few days later. It completely stalled out and won't restart.

I replaced almost every component in the ignition system, and rewired my MS, removing and bypassing the relay board. No change. Still no spark.

Set-up MS 2.2 MSnS-E.
VW 16v
Bosch Ignition Module

Board modifications: 1)Remove Jumper between XG1 and XG2, (it may already be removed)
2)Jumper D8 (if it's not already done)
3)Connect jumper JP1 pin 8 (the pin farthest away from the JP-1 label) to pin 24 of the MS header.
4)Connect the -ve (negative) pin of D17 (LED 17) to XG13
5)Jumper X11 to XG1

Link to thread used to for board mods... with pics...
http://www.ottawa-vdubbing.com/forums/p ... hp?t=15948

I have tach in MS, but no tach on dash: signal is from coil (-).
Hall sender has 5 volts, and is sending 5 volts to MS. However MS pin 31 is a steady 5 volts. Should it not be grounding out for signal? I think I burned something on the board, but i have no idea what.

Thanks guys.
Cdn20valve
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Cdn20valve »

I have my MS wired as per this diagram.

Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

Try taking a data log when you try to start it. Is any signal (RPM, etc.) missing?
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
Cdn20valve
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Cdn20valve »

Matt Cramer wrote:Try taking a data log when you try to start it. Is any signal (RPM, etc.) missing?
Rpm works in megatune.
Maglin
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by Maglin »

Did you ever clean off the flux on your MS? I mention this cause this happened right after a rain storm and the humidity would have been pretty high. It's possible if their was flux still on your board it soaked up enough water to finally start causing some shorting issues. Try cleaning the MS with acetone if you never cleaned it. It will clean it right up. Take out the processor first though. And blow out the MS when done with compressed air. You might not think their is much flux their but a look under a magnifying glass before and after and you'll definitely see the difference.
Jeremiah
93 5.8 LX Mustang - MSIIextra
92 Eagle Talon TSI AWD Turbo - MSIIextra
Cdn20valve
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Cdn20valve »

Maglin wrote:Did you ever clean off the flux on your MS? I mention this cause this happened right after a rain storm and the humidity would have been pretty high. It's possible if their was flux still on your board it soaked up enough water to finally start causing some shorting issues. Try cleaning the MS with acetone if you never cleaned it. It will clean it right up. Take out the processor first though. And blow out the MS when done with compressed air. You might not think their is much flux their but a look under a magnifying glass before and after and you'll definitely see the difference.
The board looks pretty clean. No water got unto the board itself, it was the relay board that got wet.
Maglin
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by Maglin »

I wasn't talking about the board getting wet. I'm talking about flux soaking up moisture from the air. But if your relay board got wet you could have shorted something out. Have you tried you MS on the stim to see if all the output and inputs are functioning properly?
Jeremiah
93 5.8 LX Mustang - MSIIextra
92 Eagle Talon TSI AWD Turbo - MSIIextra
Cdn20valve
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Cdn20valve »

Maglin wrote:I wasn't talking about the board getting wet. I'm talking about flux soaking up moisture from the air. But if your relay board got wet you could have shorted something out. Have you tried you MS on the stim to see if all the output and inputs are functioning properly?
Yes all outputs and inputs working correctly on the stim. LED is flashing with RPm etc...

I've traced the problem to the board, I'm really lost as to what to test/replace. I've got access to a second unnasembled MS kit. I'm not sure what components to test/replace on the board...
TT350chevelle
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by TT350chevelle »

What pin are you using for ign out? You show the wiring diagram to pin 31 but the instructions (the link posted) talks about pin 29 ??

Brad J.
Homebuilt twinturbo 68 Chevelle
MS 1, MSNS-Extra, Fuel and Spark.
Full street,3820lbs,10.46@133.66
Cdn20valve
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Cdn20valve »

TT350chevelle wrote:What pin are you using for ign out? You show the wiring diagram to pin 31 but the instructions (the link posted) talks about pin 29 ??

Brad J.
I'm using 31 for output. That is probably my problem. lol.
Gokart
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by Gokart »

Pin 3,4,5&6 are for the IAC's input and should not be grounded. Does that have effected your setup?
Cdn20valve
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Cdn20valve »

Pins, 3,4,5,6 are not grounded on my setup. I can't wait to get home andswap pin 31 for 29.
Gokart
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by Gokart »

Since you mentioned that you jumped X11 to XG1, you should connect it to pin 25.
Pin 29 is X13.

Please revise the schematic and have it handy for reference.
TT350chevelle
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by TT350chevelle »

Did you built the LED test light? Very handy little tool for checking for the correct output and pin.

Brad J.
Homebuilt twinturbo 68 Chevelle
MS 1, MSNS-Extra, Fuel and Spark.
Full street,3820lbs,10.46@133.66
Cdn20valve
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Cdn20valve »

Did not build the LED test light yet. I should do it!

That fixed the problem. Car started last night!!!