Switch from EDIS to Direct Coil Control

A general forum and a place for initial or prospective users. See Manuals/Documentation
Click here to enter
Contact a Forum Administrator
If unsure where to post, post in this sub-forum.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

flosho
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Switch from EDIS to Direct Coil Control

Post by flosho »

I've been running EDIS with my car the last year and a half, using the EDIS control module, but I would like to get into flat-shift/launch control and I've read it is not easy/possible with EDIS. Therefore, I'd like to know what is all involved in the switch from EDIS to Direct Coil Control?

I purchased my MS1 unit pre-built and set up for EDIS control, will I have to add a vb921 driver? Then also remove the EDIS control module which the pip/saw are wired into, and wire those directly to the relay board?

MS1 v3 w/edis4
81 931
-ms1 v3 w/edis

"It's not cobbled, its CUSTOM!"
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: Switch from EDIS to Direct Coil Control

Post by Matt Cramer »

You'll need to add two direct coil control drivers - VB921s have been out of production for a while; we're using BIP373s for now. We have an article on multiple ways of dealing with Ford crank triggers here that covers mods needed:

http://www.diyautotune.com/tech_article ... erview.htm

You'll want the mods and settings in "Direct Coil Control Distributorless Ignition on a Megasquirt-I V3.0 or V3.57 Board".
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
flosho
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by flosho »

d***, so it looks like I have to uninstall all the EDIS modifications, build the VR circuit, and then do the direct coil mods/jumpers,and buy an additional BIP373.

Then I have questions about the mods for EDIS say "remove c30". Then I would have to find the component needed for c30 and add it back in for direct coil?

Also, how is everything affected wtih the Relay board?

Does anyone/shops allow people to send them an already built board and let them modify it?
81 931
-ms1 v3 w/edis

jsmcortina
Site Admin

Post by jsmcortina »

flosho wrote:d***, so it looks like I have to uninstall all the EDIS modifications, build the VR circuit, and then do the direct coil mods/jumpers,and buy an additional BIP373.

Then I have questions about the mods for EDIS say "remove c30". Then I would have to find the component needed for c30 and add it back in for direct coil?
C30 is only required for triggering off the coil-negative so you are safe to omit it, plus it is in the hall/opto input circuit which you won't be using.
Also, how is everything affected wtih the Relay board?
There are spare connections running there (I believe) so it should be a matter of wiring the drivers to the required pin and you'll be ok.
Does anyone/shops allow people to send them an already built board and let them modify it?
If you were in the UK, I would!

Maybe Peter Florance? (VA)

James
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

My Success story: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 04&t=34277
MSEXTRA documentation at: http://www.msextra.com/doc/index.html
New users, please read the "Forum Help Page".
flosho
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by flosho »

I ordered 1 BIP373, and I have a VB921 already installed. Should I uninstall the VB921 and replace it with a BIP373? or can I use one of each?
81 931
-ms1 v3 w/edis

flosho
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by flosho »

had to make a digi key order so I'm just going to order another BIP373...

This board was configured for EDIS and it does not have a VR circuit. So I ordered the components for the VR conditioner circuit.

I'm assuming I must UNINSTALL the jumpers related to the Hall Sensor (edis) circuit including:

Jumper XG1 to XG2 on the bottom side of the PCB, near the 40 pin socket,
Jumper OPTOIN to TACHSELECT on the bottom side of the PCB, near the DB37 connector, opposite the heat sink.
Jumper TSEL to OPTOOUT on the bottom side of the PCB, near the center.

My XG1 does not have a jumper to XG2. My XG1 is jumpered to TACHSELECT

Other jumpers already installed by builder(not me):

IGN to Q6 with a resistor that is also soldered to the bottom side of Q6 and goes to +5v above proto area
S12C to D1 which has a jumper installed across D1 on the top side
TSEL to OPTOOUT
JS11 to 5v+ above proto (launch control)
81 931
-ms1 v3 w/edis

elutionsdesign
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by elutionsdesign »

If you're not comfortable doing it you can send it to me, I've done many. You can PM me for more information.

Scott
Graduate of EFI University.

I build, repair, install and tune Megasquirt systems in North Dakota and beyond!
flosho
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by flosho »

I've decided to move forward with the mods. Still waiting for the two BIP373 to come in

I ordered a space VR sensor pigtail and the DIY shielded wire setup.

For wiring this up. I've got:

VR sensor (White/Positive Signal) to PIN 15 on Relay Board
VR sensor (Green/Negative Signal) to PIN 14 on Relay Board

I'm still going to use the EDIS4 coil pack I have.

The ignition coil plug has 3 connectors 1 is Coil A and 3 is Coil B and the center wire goes to the EDIS control Module(Which goes to switched 12v+).

I wired the 3 connector coil plug with the center wire directly to a switched 12v source and

Spark A goes to pin 36 of the DB37, which traces to Terminal 11 on the relay board so the wire for Coil A on the ignition coil connector (wire 1) goes to the relay board at terminal 11.

Spark B goes to pin 31 of the DB37, which traces to Terminal 10 on the relay board so the wire for Coil B on the ignition coil connector (wire 2) goes to the relay board at terminal 10.

Does this stuff sound correct?

So I removed the EDIS control Module.
81 931
-ms1 v3 w/edis

elutionsdesign
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by elutionsdesign »

Sounds correct for the wiring external to the controller.
Graduate of EFI University.

I build, repair, install and tune Megasquirt systems in North Dakota and beyond!
flosho
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by flosho »

Got everything put together.

When I installed the jumper from TSEL to VROUTINV, I used "VROUT" because in the Megamanual it had that and in parentheses VROUTINV.

I configured all the settings accroding to distributorless settings here: http://www.diyautotune.com/tech_article ... erview.htm

None of the LEDs on my MS unit lit up so I changed "Set Spark Output to yes" and changed to "No" and then the two ouside LEDs would light.

Unfortunately they I did not get an RPM signal in MSDroid.. But now I'm thinking I might have the VR sensor wires hooked up backwards (Positive to Terminal 15 on Relay, Negative to Terminal 14).

Will do some testing tonight.

Might want to move this thread to troubleshooting ms1
81 931
-ms1 v3 w/edis