Jaguar V12

A general forum and a place for initial or prospective users. See Manuals/Documentation
Click here to enter
Contact a Forum Administrator
If unsure where to post, post in this sub-forum.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: Jaguar V12

Post by racingmini_mtl »

knastenrad wrote:With a MS3X , 36-1 triggerwheel and LS2 coils in wastespark , i do not need a cam sensor right?
just set the :
"Number of Cylinders" to 12
use the 6 first spark outputs
and wire 2 and 2 coils(the ones that are at TDC at the same time) to the spark outputs?
Correct.
jbperf.com Main site . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . jbperf.com Forum
knastenrad
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by knastenrad »

great!
helping a buddy in the planning here to convert the stock EFI to MS3X :)
prof315
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by prof315 »

I'm getting ready to install an MS3/3X on a 92 XJS and was wondering if anybody has pictures of how they are setting up the 36-1 trigger wheel on the crank pulley. I've got a couple of different ideas of my own but would just like to see what other folks are doing.

Thanks!

Jeff
Linfert Performance/321 Motorsports
SCCA 2019 SM National Champion Crew Chief
SCCA 2023 FP National Champion Tuner/electrical engineer
100s of MS systems built installed and tuned
Support the developers!
Marek
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by Marek »

Dear Jeff,

See http://www.msruns.com/viewtopic.php?f=92&t=22941
and
http://www.jag-lovers.org/snaps/snap_vi ... 1352157009
plus my other photo albums on the jag-lovers site

I have since changed my cam sensor for a standard Ford VR sensor and machined the crank pulley with 35 teeth instead of using a trigger wheel. I did this to get the trigger "wheel" closer to the block and so the bracket holding the VR sensor would have less opportunity to flex.

You setup will be no doubt be different as you will have a different combination of belts which you need to avoid.

kind regards
Marek
prof315
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by prof315 »

Thanks got some good ideas

Jeff
Linfert Performance/321 Motorsports
SCCA 2019 SM National Champion Crew Chief
SCCA 2023 FP National Champion Tuner/electrical engineer
100s of MS systems built installed and tuned
Support the developers!
Graham
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Graham »

Hi, I'm new here so please don't shout at me if I say something silly!
I have a V12 E type which I would like to MS so looking for any information which will make my journey easier, I have a set of pre HE manifolds with injectors and throttle bodies as a start to the project which I am currently refurbishing, don't yet know the condition of the injectors but I may be advised to change them any way for something different?
The other area I've been looking at is mounting the trigger wheel and pick ups, now I know everyone seems to mount them at the front pulley but has anyone thought of adapting a distributor to mount them, yes I know it turns at half speed but surely 2 missing teeth 180 degrees apart would take care of that, they'd be in a more protected environment and less likely to be damaged by the belts?
Looking at previous posts it looks like The MS is developing so that less additional parts will be required to complete a working system on the V12, is this right or am I reading too much into the comments?
Any way that's it for now.
Regards
Graham :RTFM:
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

Graham wrote: The other area I've been looking at is mounting the trigger wheel and pick ups, now I know everyone seems to mount them at the front pulley but has anyone thought of adapting a distributor to mount them, yes I know it turns at half speed but surely 2 missing teeth 180 degrees apart would take care of that, they'd be in a more protected environment and less likely to be damaged by the belts?
It can be done but is less accurate. There are several OEM systems that did something like this - usually with a "dual wheel" mode and no missing teeth. (Example: The Nippondenso CAS)
Looking at previous posts it looks like The MS is developing so that less additional parts will be required to complete a working system on the V12, is this right or am I reading too much into the comments?
These have been done for a while - bank to bank ones have even been done with MS2. MS3 can run full sequential on a V12 with either add on injector driver mods or MS3-Pro.
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
DaveEFI
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by DaveEFI »

Perhaps the main reason for using a crank trigger is the signal is extremely accurate, and consistent. A dizzy usually has a chain drive somewhere which can stretch and gears which have backlash.
Have you asked Trigger Wheels in the UK about fitting a wheel and trigger to your Jag V-12? I'm willing to bet several have done just this.
Rover SD1 3.5 EFI
MS2 V3
EDIS
Tech Edge O2
London UK.
Graham
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Graham »

Thanks a lot for the quick replies, just the kind of constructive information I was looking for, my question about alternative trigger wheel position was purely from a bit of lateral thinking.
Can someone maybe point me in the direction of more info re injector drivers so I can do some more reading and whats MS Pro?
Thanks
Graham
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Post by jsmcortina »

Graham wrote: whats MS Pro?
See http://www.msextra.com/products2.html

James
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

My Success story: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 04&t=34277
MSEXTRA documentation at: http://www.msextra.com/doc/index.html
New users, please read the "Forum Help Page".
Graham
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Graham »

Just spent a couple of days reading up about MS3Pro, what a piece of kit!! all I could wish for and more, letter to santa in the post, still got quite a shopping list before I can make a start.
Thanks
Graham
MLBS3V12
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by MLBS3V12 »

Hi Graham,

what about your project?
Keep us informed!
I'm restoring an E Type S3. I've bought a EFI XJS V12 and I'm interested with information on the use of Megasquirt for this engine.

Cheers
Graham
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Graham »

I'd thought about getting a HE V12 engine from an XJS and just swapping it in but then decided I'd like to keep as much of the car original so decided to do an EFI conversion instead, other projects are taking priority just now but research is still going on in the background.
Graham
evildrome
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by evildrome »

@ Tobmag

Would very much like to see your (or anyone's) standard advance map for pre-HE V12.

Tried to PM you but no details shown. Could be because I'm an newb or could be you haven't entered any.

TIA,

Wilson Logan.

www.xj12l.com
jhkm12345
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by jhkm12345 »

Subscribed. about to begin the same... with 6 liter motor from a 95 xjs along with 4l80e gearbox. going into a 1963 Mk10 sedan.
Building my shopping list now.

for simplicity sake and to keep the budget under control, I plan on keeping the twin coil fixed distributor in place and installing a 36-1 trigger wheel in place of the original (damaged) trigger on the front crank pulley
any thoughts on that combo?
dontz125
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by dontz125 »

jhkm12345 wrote:Subscribed. about to begin the same... with 6 liter motor from a 95 xjs along with 4l80e gearbox. going into a 1963 Mk10 sedan.
Building my shopping list now.

for simplicity sake and to keep the budget under control, I plan on keeping the twin coil fixed distributor in place and installing a 36-1 trigger wheel in place of the original (damaged) trigger on the front crank pulley
any thoughts on that combo?
Do a bit of reading on Dual Dizzy mode; you'll need two high-energy coil drivers (BIP373 or similar).
Temporarily shut down - back soon!
QuadraMAP Sensor Module -- PWM-to-Stepper Controller -- Dual Coil Driver
Coming soon: OctoMAP Sensor Module
TTR Ignition Systems
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Post by jsmcortina »

The 4L80E can be controlled by a Microsquirt. See http://www.msextra.com/doc/trans/index.html

James
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

My Success story: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 04&t=34277
MSEXTRA documentation at: http://www.msextra.com/doc/index.html
New users, please read the "Forum Help Page".
tobmag
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by tobmag »

Hi.

No problem I can share my maps. Just PM me a email adress.

I would remove the dizzy as I have done on my XJ12 pre-HE and run wasted spark.

Its not a dual dizzy as on BMW but a dual coil kind of thing.....

In my XJS Im running a MS3 and a GPIO with megashift code to control the transmission

Br//Tobmag
AdeV
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by AdeV »

Hi,

New here, I've been looking for Jag V12/Megasquirt info for some time, this thread still seems to be about the most comprehensive....

I'm beginning a build of a pre-HE racing engine. Base motor is a 5.3, but I'll probably end up using a 6.0 block/crank/rods, custom pistons, pre-HE heads, steel liners. Bore will be 96mm to give me a ~7 litre motor... On the top, I've thrown away the Jag inlet system and am using BMW independent throttle bodies (from an M3, 2 sets), mounted on custom adapter plates that I've designed/machined myself. I plan to run COP (using Mazda RX8 coils, they seem to be the lowest profile COPs I can find; I may use a "coil near plug" setup with short leads) and fully sequential injectors.

I already have an MS3 + MS3X which was originally going to go on a Lexus V8, but will now be used in the Jag project instead.

Theoretically, I should be able to get 700bhp out of this thing. I'll be happy with anything over 500, and over the moon if I get over 600; and probably in a LOT of trouble if I get over 650 :)

The engine is going into a Jag XJS, which is already stripped & in the process of being de-rusted, prior to re-assambly as a race car. I have an old Indy car clutch I'll be using (4.5" 4-plate), custom 2-part flywheel, original auto box flex plate, probably a Tremec 5-speed box, standard XJS diff. I plan to have a lot of fun in this thing, and I've got about 2 years of my original 3 year timetable left to build it...

The whole Megasquirt thing is new to me, so any help I can get using it, I will take. For example; I can obviously use any trigger wheel I like, so what would the suggestion be - 12-1 seems a bit coarse, but 60-2 seems a bit fine? 36-1 maybe? I should be able to fabricate my own cam sensor wheel/sensor bracket, so no worries there, is there any point in having 2 cam sensors (as with the Lexus, for example)?

Anyway, I'll have a million questions, I'll probably start a new thread for those, I just wanted to chime in here to say there's another V12 on the go :)