New MS3 or stick with old MS2?

A general forum and a place for initial or prospective users. See Manuals/Documentation
Click here to enter
Contact a Forum Administrator
If unsure where to post, post in this sub-forum.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

Jim Blackwood
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Re: New MS3 or stick with old MS2?

Post by Jim Blackwood »

Figures. I've already got the COPs but they are not logic level. Guess I should investigate the drivers guys have been building.

JB
thebrelon
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by thebrelon »

Newbie in the planing phase...
Jim Blackwood
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by Jim Blackwood »

Looks good, thanks.Depending on what options I have with cases, I may consider installing the drivers inside the main case with a ground plane between them and the other boards. I may need one or more other ground planes in there anyway.

JB
thebrelon
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by thebrelon »

you may also consider the I/O Xtender board, that's another way to do the same thing with additional features...
http://www.jbperf.com/io_extender/index.html
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Post by jsmcortina »

The IO-Extender is good if you need more inputs and outputs than the MS3X can offer, but do remember that it cannot be used for fuel or spark control.

James
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

My Success story: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 04&t=34277
MSEXTRA documentation at: http://www.msextra.com/doc/index.html
New users, please read the "Forum Help Page".
racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by racingmini_mtl »

As James mentions, the IOx (or any other CAN device) cannot be used for fuel or spark control or for any input or output which depends on engine position due to the CAN bus latency.

Jean
jbperf.com Main site . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . jbperf.com Forum
thebrelon
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by thebrelon »

right. I misunderstood a point. sorry messing up... :oops:
Jim Blackwood
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by Jim Blackwood »

It's OK, I'd already picked up on that requirement. Hence the coil drivers.

Attached is the current spreadsheet with all the hardware and connections. It's pretty elaborate and I'm not completely familiar with all of the equipment yet, so some of it is incomplete. I've been working on the transmission section very intensively for the last two days. In a week or so I hope to sort out the rest of it. So any suggestions of better ways to do things is appreciated.

JB
racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by racingmini_mtl »

Jim,

One comment about your pin assignment for the IOx: the ADC pins on the IOx are not directly compatible with EGT thermocouples. You need to have an amplifier circuit such as the ones I have put on the logger board which stacks on top of the IOx board and has its own connector for the EGT probes.

If you already have some sort of interface between the EGT probes and the IOx that gives a 0-5V output then your pins assignment is fine. Otherwise you need to make some adjustment.

Jean.
jbperf.com Main site . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . jbperf.com Forum
Jim Blackwood
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by Jim Blackwood »

Thanks, I'll have to look at what Bill Jacobson did for that.

JB
racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by racingmini_mtl »

Bill got the IOx plus a logger board with 8 EGT amplifiers.

Jean
Jim Blackwood
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by Jim Blackwood »

OK, I'll look at that and add it to the spreadsheet. Thanks. Do you have a link to the logger?

JB
racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by racingmini_mtl »

I don't have a page up for it yet but there are quite a few posts on the subject on my forum. The one giving the most information is probably this one: http://forum.jbperf.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=105

And you can also have a look at Bill's results: http://forum.jbperf.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=327

Jean
davcol
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by davcol »

O.K. i am thinking of upgrading from MS2 to MS3 , with all my modifications that i have to the board to run the existing ms2 board like the jumper from s12 to JS9
and the modification to the ms2 chip and installing jean sequential injection board , the modification for sequential spark ignition , can i just unplug ms2 and plugin ms3 with no problem?
m2 extra v3.57 3sgte full sequential injection V1.1A P&H Board
full sequential spark low current c.o.p.
holset turbocharger
racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by racingmini_mtl »

davcol wrote:O.K. i am thinking of upgrading from MS2 to MS3 , with all my modifications that i have to the board to run the existing ms2 board like the jumper from s12 to JS9
and the modification to the ms2 chip and installing jean sequential injection board , the modification for sequential spark ignition , can i just unplug ms2 and plugin ms3 with no problem?
The MS3 also needs the s12 to JS9 jumper and the MS2 modifications disappear when you remove the MS2. However, the MS3 is not compatible with the connections for the 4 injector channels used for sequential injection on MS2. So you will need to remove the connections between the 4-channel driver board and the MS board.

If you go with the MS3X then you simply use it for sequential injection. If you only have the MS3, you can connect the 4-channel driver board to the J1 header on the MS3 (use pins 1,2,3,4)

Jean