Newbie Here -98 MR2 3sgte with pics!!!

A general forum and a place for initial or prospective users. See Manuals/Documentation
Click here to enter
Contact a Forum Administrator
If unsure where to post, post in this sub-forum.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: Newbie Here -98 MR2 3sgte with pics!!!

Post by Matt Cramer »

You'll need to upgrade the firmware to get the Gauge and Setting Limits feature - it was added in 3.3.0.
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
benckj
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by benckj »

Got ya, figured you must be looking at different version.

Managed a few driving sessions last night and am dialling in tune using VEAL. I have some long twisty mountains to cross on my way to track so may give me some roads to pull redline and get upper cells of table computed. Wish my laptop battery would hold in longer so I could carry on. Small inverter in the mail.

Jim
Toyota MR2 98 3sgte
MSPNP2 with 3.57 mainboard
Innovate WB O2 & soon to be external GM 3 bar MAP
FTDI USB interface on SD Android 5.1 head unit
TD05SL2-18g with external WG
HKS EBC running 17psi boost.
A2W IC with WI 50/50 meth/water
benckj
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by benckj »

Just a quick update in case others are watching.

Managed to use VEAL on the road to the track and on the track itself for couple of runs. Made a little difference to car running smoother but did not perform any better than stock ECU on the track. Need to work on turbo spool time and try to reduce lag. There are a few things I can adjust including cam gear position, ignition and fueling at low revs.

Been working on getting my tablet sorted so I can monitor gauges while driving rather than carting around a large laptop. Found out tablet will not act as a USB Host so cannot use directly through RS232 connection in cab. Bought a Bluetooth adaptor and installed in cab on 232 cable but then found out my tablet did not support BT! Back to the drawing board now as I look for another small tablet with proper hardware to run Shadow Dash and connect to MS.
Toyota MR2 98 3sgte
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

Keep in mind the biggest power gains are going to come through tuning the spark table rather than fuel. You'll want to dyno tune the spark table for best results.
benckj
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by benckj »

Thanks Matt. Need to throw it on the rollers yet but wanted to get the basics tone and eliminate the over furling issue I had on stock ECU. That part is done so now I can continue.

Jim
Toyota MR2 98 3sgte
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

Sounds like a plan!
benckj
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by benckj »

Posting up latest msq tune file after completing dyno run which was used to set up knock control and check O2 data. Tuner did spend some time adjusting AFR table and using VEAL to tune engine. Spark table adjusted to try and bring turbo on spool quicker but didn't really make a difference. Need to get a better turbo set-up and gather some low end torque. Not very drivable with the lag.
Toyota MR2 98 3sgte
zvargulis
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by zvargulis »

Thanks for the update! What sort of numbers is the dyno putting out?
What was the decision to move away from the ct20b?

FYI I have started a thread here, just finished assembling my unit.
http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 94&t=63792

Cheers
Josh.
-------------------------------------------------------------
MR2 3SGTE Gen 3
MS3X DIY, DIY BOB
benckj
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by benckj »

Reason for replacing CT20b was to experiment with other more modern designs. Figured it was good time to replace while it was still intact and worth something. Unfortunately I installed a laggy t3t4 turbo which was not what I expected. Dyno numbers are low but primary reason for throwing on rollers was to get knock and AFR table dialed in. Now I'm researching turbo design so I can get a system which spools quickly but doesn't die like the C20 did.

The other thing which worried me was the ceramic turbine. As I planned to increase boost and run hard through rev range reports indicate turbine failure which can destroy engine. While it can be replaced with a steel wheel often this involves as much money as an aftermarket turbo would cost. Only real saving is the custom supply lines for oil & coolant plus exhaust flange adapters.

Very close to getting a new turbo now but trying to match inlet outlet requirements so installation is straight forward. Lots of combinations out there that have different pros & cons. Watch this space!

Jim
Toyota MR2 98 3sgte
zvargulis
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by zvargulis »

I always think a GTX3071R would suit the gen3 3sgte with some 268 Cams. I think that is where I am heading once i can have good control of the engine and have flex going.
Im also going to be spending some time in the states in January and am thinking of taking my ct20b with me to have ATS Racing have its way with it, they can beef it up a bit with some billet components.
-------------------------------------------------------------
MR2 3SGTE Gen 3
MS3X DIY, DIY BOB
benckj
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by benckj »

I've been looking at the GT2860RS which is smaller than the 3071. The other turbo is made by Masterturbo being a R474. Really good specs and half the price. Made in Brasil but very high tech.

If you want to rework the Ct20 contact CRW in California. They supply a billet wheel & turbine. Proven performance but would max out just over 300whp. I hope to achieve same but be able to push harder.
Toyota MR2 98 3sgte
benckj
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by benckj »

Just as a quick update to this thread;

I decided to go with a Kinugawa TD06SL2-18g (8cm) running an extended tip billet wheel and high flow 9 blade turbine with internal wastegate. Masterpower didn't have anything close to this size which used an internal WG. Bought whole kit including V band flange and water/oil lines for under $1,000USD. Working on installing this gem and will re-tune once I have car road worthy.
Toyota MR2 98 3sgte
jsdevel
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by jsdevel »

benckj wrote:Wideband is still reading on high side and noisey. Gauge is rock solid so can only assume I'm getting induction noise on cable.
benckj wrote:Think I made some progress. Eliminated the serial lines not required and joined the ground wire off O2 controller to the chassis near gauge. Had some problems then connecting onto TS but managed to connect after restarting program several times. This seemed to settle down noise for some reason even though its not best practice. Set up cal as Custom WB using 6.3 at low value and this brought it very close to gauge reading.

benckj, I'm having noise issues with my LC2 wideband controller as well. Did I read correctly in this thread that you were able to eliminate said noise by grounding the LC2 close to the controller on the chassis?
benckj
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by benckj »

Originally I grounded everything to common point by MSPNP but this caused excessive noise. I then used an extra ground wire to the Innovate controller located in glove box and this significantly reduced the sensor noise in TS.

Jim
Toyota MR2 98 3sgte
jsdevel
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by jsdevel »

Check out the noise I'm getting from my LC2 https://youtu.be/aMzkowv9awg. Is this what you saw? I can hear it on an AM radio.