Microsquirt on a 93 94 95 96 Subaru 6/7

A general forum and a place for initial or prospective users. See Manuals/Documentation
Click here to enter
Contact a Forum Administrator
If unsure where to post, post in this sub-forum.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

l337h4l
MS/Extra Newbie

Microsquirt on a 93 94 95 96 Subaru 6/7

Post by l337h4l »

I am looking at purchasing the MicroSquirt for a naturally aspirated 2.2ltr Subaru engine. I have tried searching and found lots of good information but its so scattered. I have read for about a week before posting to catch myself up on some of the information.

I have basically matched all the pins from my Engine to the Micro but concerns I have not figured out are.

Ignition... I realize is a 6/7 crank trigger. The stock Subaru drives out 2 ignition signals to the ICM/Ignitor on the firewall (with the exception of 1996 WRX). IGN1 goes to Cyl 1 and 2, IGN2 goes to Cyl 3 and 4

Micro documentation says they are controlling opposite cylinders? Is this just programming in the firmware flash to fix? with Wasted spark? I am concerned with ignition on a intake stroke.
module inputs IN1+IN3 to MicroSquirt® ignition output IGN1 (Ampseal pin#12 - white), and
module inputs IN2+IN4 to MicroSquirt® ignition output IGN2 (Ampseal pin#11 - white/red)

I have many other questions but instead of flooding one post I will continue use this thread. I catch on very quick so bear with me and if you know of a good thread I have not found for Subaru link me too it.

I purposely made the thread title year specific for future searchers, "Subaru" turns up too much or not enough. I would like to document step by step 100 % everything on this build to help future Subaru enthusiasts.
bubba2533
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Re: Microsquirt on a 93 94 95 96 Subaru 6/7

Post by bubba2533 »

I am running a MS3/x on my 97 Impreza.

I can most likely help you out on some questions you have.

What exact model are you working on? Also, where are you located?

Here is my build thread http://msextra.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=104&t=40305
97 Subaru Impreza 2.2L - MS3 w/ MS3/x
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

l337h4l wrote:I am looking at purchasing the MicroSquirt for a naturally aspirated 2.2ltr Subaru engine. I have tried searching and found lots of good information but its so scattered. I have read for about a week before posting to catch myself up on some of the information.

I have basically matched all the pins from my Engine to the Micro but concerns I have not figured out are.

Ignition... I realize is a 6/7 crank trigger. The stock Subaru drives out 2 ignition signals to the ICM/Ignitor on the firewall (with the exception of 1996 WRX). IGN1 goes to Cyl 1 and 2, IGN2 goes to Cyl 3 and 4

Micro documentation says they are controlling opposite cylinders? Is this just programming in the firmware flash to fix? with Wasted spark? I am concerned with ignition on a intake stroke.
module inputs IN1+IN3 to MicroSquirt® ignition output IGN1 (Ampseal pin#12 - white), and
module inputs IN2+IN4 to MicroSquirt® ignition output IGN2 (Ampseal pin#11 - white/red)
You would pair it same as stock - IGN1 to cylinder 1 and 2, IGN2 to cylinder 3 and 4.
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
l337h4l
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by l337h4l »

bubba2533 wrote:I am running a MS3/x on my 97 Impreza.

I can most likely help you out on some questions you have.

What exact model are you working on? Also, where are you located?

Here is my build thread http://msextra.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=104&t=40305
bubba2533 I hit you up in RS25.com :) its TFEChris I am in Cleveland 3 hours from you. Took your recommendation to sit down and learn some fun.
2.2ltr Phase2 EJ22 block SOHC heads. Currently on a 1.8ltr ECU

Doing some reading

Also the http://www.microsquirtmodule.com/ basically a wire yourself version of the sealed http://www.microsquirt.info/ except (except ignition drivers, which are logic-level output only) I have to look into this logic level output. But I assume it works.
l337h4l
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by l337h4l »

Matt Cramer wrote:
l337h4l wrote:I am looking at purchasing the MicroSquirt for a naturally aspirated 2.2ltr Subaru engine. I have tried searching and found lots of good information but its so scattered. I have read for about a week before posting to catch myself up on some of the information.

You would pair it same as stock - IGN1 to cylinder 1 and 2, IGN2 to cylinder 3 and 4.
Well there are only 2 Ignition outputs to the ICM I assume you pair it through the software?
looking for the software download now.
bubba2533
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by bubba2533 »

Ok, well I'm glad you took my advice.

The software does pair them. This type of ignition system is called "wasted spark".

It is a setting in TunerStudio (This is the tuning interface which goes onto your PC).

Here is the website http://www.efianalytics.com/TunerStudio/

There is also a sub-forum here for it.
l337h4l
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by l337h4l »

So which one?... Recommendations? Not afraid of soldering
http://www.microsquirtmodule.com/ basically a wire yourself version of the sealed http://www.microsquirt.info/
I assume the except ignition drivers, which are logic-level output only are what the subaru use sending the signal to the ICM or ignitor... YES?

I plan on adding
Battery Voltage Input Protection
and
Reference Voltage (Vref) Protection Circuit for TPS/MAF
bubba2533
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by bubba2533 »

Our stock ignitor is expecting a logic level signal.

So either microsquirt will work as far as the ignition part.

I am wondering, why you would like to use the microsquirt compared to a standard Megasquirt 2?
l337h4l
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by l337h4l »

bubba2533 wrote:Our stock ignitor is expecting a logic level signal.

So either microsquirt will work as far as the ignition part.

I am wondering, why you would like to use the microsquirt compared to a standard Megasquirt 2?
Really only need wideband, fuel and ignition timing on the car. No boost or anything else. Also want it all to fit in the ECU case without an issue desoldering the ECU plug from the factory PCB
l337h4l
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by l337h4l »

Currently tearing down the entire Chassis Harness to the bare minimum. As for a full race car no need to waste weight with all the accessories
l337h4l
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by l337h4l »

Starting to install and the microsquirt documentation designates the 12v in should have 2a fuse and each injector output should have 5a fuses. The vehicle already has a 15a fuse between the main and ECU. Should these fuses still be installed?
l337h4l
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by l337h4l »

So all wired up but I think I have something messed up.
I upgraded the Microsquirt to 3.2.1 connection is good here is my first configuration/tune

Naturally aspirated EJ22
GM AIT and GM MAP
6/7 trigger
Stock injectors I can not locate a CC rating everything from 220-280 CCs pops up on Google

It is not running yet I would like some info from Subaru guys. Attached is my wiring drawing ECU pinouts ect... I have mounted everything inside the stock ECU case and used extra Air Conditioning pins and Automatic transmission pins moved over to the "C plug" to run the extra wiring to keep it clean in the harness.

1: The ignition outputs for the Microsquirt can directly drive the coils. So the stock wiring for the Subaru runs from ECU to Ignitor, I think it may be a bad Idea to drive the ignitor and have to go directly to the coils instead.

2: Subaru guys is it possible to run the stock coolant temp instead of a GM one?

3: MAF sensor? I purchased a GM MAP anyways but just asking

4: Pin 29??? use or not?

Take a look tell me what you think
l337h4l
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by l337h4l »

Drawings are really though to find Subaru does not sell paper books from what I can find.....
Look over the Setup tune please?
EJ241.msq
Subaru Wiring Diagrams_Page_01.jpg
Subaru Wiring Diagrams_Page_02.jpg
bubba2533
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by bubba2533 »

l337h4l wrote:So all wired up but I think I have something messed up.
I upgraded the Microsquirt to 3.2.1 connection is good here is my first configuration/tune

Naturally aspirated EJ22
GM AIT and GM MAP
6/7 trigger
Stock injectors I can not locate a CC rating everything from 220-280 CCs pops up on Google

It is not running yet I would like some info from Subaru guys. Attached is my wiring drawing ECU pinouts ect... I have mounted everything inside the stock ECU case and used extra Air Conditioning pins and Automatic transmission pins moved over to the "C plug" to run the extra wiring to keep it clean in the harness.

1: The ignition outputs for the Microsquirt can directly drive the coils. So the stock wiring for the Subaru runs from ECU to Ignitor, I think it may be a bad Idea to drive the ignitor and have to go directly to the coils instead.

2: Subaru guys is it possible to run the stock coolant temp instead of a GM one?

3: MAF sensor? I purchased a GM MAP anyways but just asking

4: Pin 29??? use or not?

Take a look tell me what you think
1. Keep the stock ignitor. I don't think the microsquirt is capable of firing the coils directly.

2. Yes, use the Saab (Bosch) coolant setting for the stock sensor.

3. I am not yet doing it, but it is possible to use the stock MAF. I will be trying this in the future.

4. Don't know what your refering to.

Also, I used 280cc for the injectors.
l337h4l
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by l337h4l »

I had fuel but now I do not smell it anymore when cranking Injector pulses when cranking no longer show up... :?
The motor runs fine with a stock ECU I do not have time until Friday or Saturday to get back in the garage.

Question #4
Pin29 SPARE ADC Can be used for external baro MAP sensor. Orange/Green

http://www.microsquirt.info/uswiring.htm
From the documentation:
IMPORTANT! You can directly drive a maximum of one coil per ignition driver with MicroSquirt! This is because the coil driver (the VB921) can only sink enough current for one coil. That one coil can be a double ended 'wasted spark' type coil for two cylinders/coil, and it will be fine. But you CANNOT 'direct drive' two separate coils in wasted spark configuration driven directly off of one ignition driver (see below).
bubba2533
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by bubba2533 »

Ok. Well i have been running with using the ignitor for a while now with zero problems except for setting it up with the wrong spark output setting, which fried my ignitor. So it's up to you if you want to use the ignitor or not.
l337h4l
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by l337h4l »

bubba2533 wrote:Ok. Well i have been running with using the ignitor for a while now with zero problems except for setting it up with the wrong spark output setting, which fried my ignitor. So it's up to you if you want to use the ignitor or not.
Yeah I am afraid my ignitor is fried at the moment but I have 4 extra used ones. Can you direct me to your ignition settings? or take a look at my tune a few posts up
bubba2533
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by bubba2533 »

I think you are trying to turn on too many features at once. You need to start out with the basics and work your way to turning on additional features.

Trying to do too much at once will make you pull your hair out.

I am running a MS3X so my ignition output is set to Normal (going Low), but I think your output might be different. I would ask someone (a dev) in a PM or maybe someone will know thats reading this if the microsquirt's outputs are opposite the MS3X or if they are the same.

I've turned off all the features in this MSQ that I think you should not worry about just yet. Just try to get it to idle and run under some free reving throttle.

If this was me I would run waste gate boost until you get a decent base tune also.

Edit: Also, I noticed your req fuel was different when I calculated it with 2.5l, 280cc injectors, 4 cylinder, 14.7 afr. I got 15 and it was like 7.4 or something. Oh and I think you might want to try alternating the injection events.
l337h4l
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by l337h4l »

Thanks its a steep learning curve from the other EMS I am used too that you just choose the engine and everything is preprogrammed.

As for boost This is a NON Turbo car
bubba2533
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by bubba2533 »

Oh, well then I'll change come more and upload it again. What is your max RPM or Rev limit?