Converting from Edelbrock ProFlo to MS2

A general forum and a place for initial or prospective users. See Manuals/Documentation
Click here to enter
Contact a Forum Administrator
If unsure where to post, post in this sub-forum.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

shadow
MS/Extra Newbie

Converting from Edelbrock ProFlo to MS2

Post by shadow »

Hi all, I'm in need of some advice. I have been running Edelbrock ProFlo 3500 on my SBC 350 V8 and it uses a converted dizzy with a Hall effect sensor with 8 shutters. My old ECU used the smaller shutter than the other 7 to determine cylinder 1 at 10dec tdc. Does the MS2 need this? how does it know where to fire the 1st bit of fuel.
This brings me on to the fuelling. My old system was semi sequential, 2 pairs of injectors fired in relation to the Hall effect sensor. MS2 has 2 feeds to 4 injectors each side. does this mean its 1 squirt big on all 4 injectors at the same time per rev, or 4 small squirts 4 times per rev?

Phil at ExtraEFI has been a great help.

Reason for changing is its a pain to get tuned. cant get idle right and under 2.5K revs its too rich, I hate the intermittent power loss to the handheld module, a pain when trying to make changes.The proflo hand-held tuning module isn't known by rolling roads, where as the MS is fairly better known, also it has better idle and low rev control. Just need to get my head round the thing!

Lots to learn.

Cheers in advance,
Steve
wes kiser
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: Converting from Edelbrock ProFlo to MS2

Post by wes kiser »

In practical terms when discussing a V8, MS2 will not be sequential, and will be fired bank to bank. Becuase of this there really is no need to treet the short vane (this is effectively ford signiture PIP) any differently. You will still be able to make the engine run SUBSTANTIALLY better than it does with the current controlller.

If it were mine, I would likely install an MS3 with MS3x expander. You get a good deal more capability for a relatively small price increase. This would allow you full sequential, as well as many other useful feature.
86 Rx-7, swapped to 2.3 ford turbo (BW EFR 6758), ms3/ms3x sequential fuel /waste spark, ls2 coils
88 Tbird 2.3t, Microsquirt Module (PIMP), TFI ignition
shadow
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by shadow »

Thanks for the reply.

So should I replace the guts of the HEI dizzy to its standard state, remove the hall effect bits and wire it up as VR?

As for bank firing, is it 1 big squirt of 4 at the same time or 4 smaller squirts.

I have an MS2. so upgrading in the future is a possibility?
wes kiser
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by wes kiser »

Yes, you can upgrade to MS3 later for the cost of the daughtercard.

I would keep the distributor as is. Don't those systems come with some form of CDI box as well? What board version is your ms2 mounted on? (likely v3.0 through hole or v3.57 surface mount)?
86 Rx-7, swapped to 2.3 ford turbo (BW EFR 6758), ms3/ms3x sequential fuel /waste spark, ls2 coils
88 Tbird 2.3t, Microsquirt Module (PIMP), TFI ignition
dontz125
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by dontz125 »

MS2/Extra can do semi-sequential with a V8; you need to modify the processor card and main board (easier on a V3.0 than a V3.57) to get the 3rd and 4th channels.
Temporarily shut down - back soon!
QuadraMAP Sensor Module -- PWM-to-Stepper Controller -- Dual Coil Driver
Coming soon: OctoMAP Sensor Module
TTR Ignition Systems
shadow
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by shadow »

V3 board. It was built by ExtraEFI and he was very helpful getting me the correct unit.
It's just the fact that I'm trying to splice it onto the old proflo loom where there was a different setup.
The injectors as I said are paired in firing order. I have 2 banks to work with. Do I splice them to the first 4 injectors in order then same with last 4, or wire one bank of 4 to the left and the same to the right for the other bank?

What about the injector firing? Is that 1 big squirt on all 4 per bank once per rev?
dontz125
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by dontz125 »

You can fire as many squirts per rev as your injectors are capable of putting out, bearing in mind opening time. Note that your low-speed / part throttle performance will be affected by incorrect opening time values more than top end, which is why fewer squirts is often better than more.

You can wire your injectors all 4 to the left on one channel and all 4 to the right on the other if you like; I've seen comments that alternating them back and forth gives good success. Don't ask me for too many details - I'm a bike guy! :lol:
Temporarily shut down - back soon!
QuadraMAP Sensor Module -- PWM-to-Stepper Controller -- Dual Coil Driver
Coming soon: OctoMAP Sensor Module
TTR Ignition Systems
shadow
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by shadow »

Only reason I'm thinking about wiring it as firing order pairs is that is how the loom is at the moment. So that would be ideal for keeping it tidy.
So should the short shutter wheel have no ill effect on the performance?
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

shadow wrote:Only reason I'm thinking about wiring it as firing order pairs is that is how the loom is at the moment. So that would be ideal for keeping it tidy.
So should the short shutter wheel have no ill effect on the performance?
Nope, just got to get the right triggering edge.
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
shadow
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by shadow »

Nice one, Thanks all!

Now to figure out the software part... :shock: :RTFM:
geoturbo
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by geoturbo »

So just wondering how the conversion from proflo..to me gas quiet went?

I have the pro Flo 3500 as well and want to convert over to megasquirt. Im wondering what extra modifications and sensors you had to purchase to make it work with the edelbrock pro Flo 3500 system.

thanks
Ollie8974
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by Ollie8974 »

What sensors do you have now. Most EFI systems have the same sensors.
Check the Manuals link at the top of the page .
geoturbo
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by geoturbo »

It's the edelbrock pro Flo 3500 speed density system. 1 bar map sensor, hall effect hei distributor, IAC..sensor. TPS, AIT sensor, water temp sensor..

I think I read somewhere that the IAC system was not compatible but I am not too sure.

All help is greatly appreciated.
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Post by jsmcortina »

geoturbo wrote:I think I read somewhere that the IAC system was not compatible but I am not too sure.
Looking at the ProFlo manual online, the idle valve looks very similar to a Ford 2-wire PWM valve. These are supported by all Megasquirts (with internal mods on some DIY versions) - see the manuals.

James
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

My Success story: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 04&t=34277
MSEXTRA documentation at: http://www.msextra.com/doc/index.html
New users, please read the "Forum Help Page".
geoturbo
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by geoturbo »

Thanks for the quick reply.

so pretty much from what i understand all I'd have to do is splice the old ecumenical off and splice in the ms l2..using all my current hardwareparts.

What about the map sensor I will be running turbos so would I have to swap it out for a 2 or 3 bar. Or can i use the one that is integrated in the megasquirt?
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Post by jsmcortina »

geoturbo wrote:What about the map sensor I will be running turbos so would I have to swap it out for a 2 or 3 bar. Or can i use the one that is integrated in the megasquirt?
It depends on what ECU you are going to buy.

Microsquirt uses an external MAP sensor (just the same as the ProFlo) so you'd want to exchange it for a 2 or 3 bar.
Megasquirt1/2/3 use an internal MAP sensor which is 2.5bar unless you upgrade it, you would run a hose from the manifold to the internal MAP sensor.

James
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

My Success story: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 04&t=34277
MSEXTRA documentation at: http://www.msextra.com/doc/index.html
New users, please read the "Forum Help Page".
geoturbo
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by geoturbo »

As of now i am running the car with the pro Flo and an fmu with the turbos on a 350 engine.

The system itself is a crutch and the fmu is a bandaid.

So which system would best be suited for my application. Microsquirt or Ms1..or Ms2..

I want timing and fuel map control for my car to adjust the timing and fuel on boost settings.