Anyone running E85 fuel?

A general forum and a place for initial or prospective users. See Manuals/Documentation
Click here to enter
Contact a Forum Administrator
If unsure where to post, post in this sub-forum.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

gui67
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Re: Anyone running E85 fuel?

Post by gui67 »

Thanks,
When I looked to buy a new one 2 years ago, it was much more expensive (the older bigger models).
I ended buying one from a flexfuel Taurus in a junk-yard.
Do the new GM have the same signal as the old ones? They are much smaller and should be easier to integrate in the car.
The old were Siemens I think, these are from Continental?
Rick Finsta
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by Rick Finsta »

Mine is from Continental, Hecho en Mexico. I got the version with the shorter inlets/outlets and then the Russel AN adapter fittings. Now I've just gotta run a wire to the DB37 and plumb in a couple of splits into my fuel return line.

Does everyone put these back by the tank? I was considering mounting mine to my front motor plate and having it just after the regulator but it might be easier to plumb in the trunk by the fuel cell.
piledriver
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by piledriver »

Continental bought Siemens.

Just goes anywhere in the return line.
Always doing things the hard way, MS2 sequential w/ v1.01 mainboard, LS2 coils. 80 mile/day commuter status.
hardline
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by hardline »

I have mine in my pressure line, because I do not have a return line. I have mine mounted as close as possible to the fuel rail.
2000 ZX2 : Sequential COP, MS3 + MS3X + TinyIOx, PWM Returnless Fuel, Flex Fuel, Variable Geometry Intake Manifold, Garrett GTX2863R .82AR housing @ 15 psi
mr_minnis
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by mr_minnis »

Has anyone seen any of these flex fuel sensors that also report fuel temperature ?

Based on how I read the options on the MS3X for Flex fuel input the Temp Sensor can be Flex fuel input. I did some searching around and found a proprietary, spendy system that converted it to an analog out.
88 Stang LX Vert. 3.73s and MS3x, D585 Coils AEM EPM
hardline
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by hardline »

All of them as far as I know report fuel temperature.
2000 ZX2 : Sequential COP, MS3 + MS3X + TinyIOx, PWM Returnless Fuel, Flex Fuel, Variable Geometry Intake Manifold, Garrett GTX2863R .82AR housing @ 15 psi
mr_minnis
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by mr_minnis »

hardline wrote:All of them as far as I know report fuel temperature.
oh really. That is pretty cool then. Thanks for the information. Guess I have my next project all ready to go then :RTFM:
88 Stang LX Vert. 3.73s and MS3x, D585 Coils AEM EPM
Rick Finsta
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by Rick Finsta »

Wasn't it something like frequency was % ethanol and duty cycle was temperature? I thought I saw something on Jean's forum once about this.
piledriver
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by piledriver »

Rick Finsta wrote:Wasn't it something like frequency was % ethanol and duty cycle was temperature? I thought I saw something on Jean's forum once about this.
That is correct.
Always doing things the hard way, MS2 sequential w/ v1.01 mainboard, LS2 coils. 80 mile/day commuter status.
Jamdun17
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Jamdun17 »

Reviving this thread for a question on wiring in the continental flex fuel into MS3 Pro. I have wired it like so V-out (sensor signal) to digital switched in 1, VCC connected to switched 12v source and GND to GND. Is this correct or do I need a pull up circuit on the signal wire as shown in continentals' diagram?

piledriver
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by piledriver »

The dedicated flex input has a pullup built in.
Feed it swicthed 12v, good ground, run the fuel return line through it and hook to the flex input on the MS3X, configure/go.
I'm not sure it will take high fuel pressure, it's not terribly thick plastic.

I'm back to running E10 over the winter, was having overcooling issues with E85.(usually E70 here, even in summer)
At least its all set up and flex% table blending works automagically now, even for cranking.