New member here saying hello

A general forum and a place for initial or prospective users. See Manuals/Documentation
Click here to enter
Contact a Forum Administrator
If unsure where to post, post in this sub-forum.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

WillExoIX
Master MS/Extra'er

New member here saying hello

Post by WillExoIX »

Hello all,

My name is Will, I'm 29. I Like to mess with electronics and anything mechanical. I have been working on vehicles with my father since I was 7 years old. In high school I did part time Vo-tech classes for electronics. Recently I went to school for Electronics Engineering, but was unable to finish due to financial situations.

I recently finished a standalone install of a MS1 V3.3 unit. I purchased it unassembled to save a little cost. Little hiccups here and there, but nothing major. Thanks to help from Dave(Project89 on the thirdgen.org site, which I am also a member of with the same username), Its running pretty good on a 1989 2.8L V6 Camaro RS. Next up for the car Is a turbo setup, which now I am in the stage of accumulating the small stuff for. I already have the turbo, headers and the IC.

Dave is helping me to get the base tune nailed down, Well he is doing the tuning at this point, but I am picking a little up here and there. I also am learning how to tune so I can make changes myself. Currently I have MSExtra firmware on my MS, using GM HEI ignition. I have also installed a Launch control/antilag circuit in the proto area, along with a momentary BOOT jumper switch, that can be accessed through a hole drilled in the MS case. I also have miscellaneous electronics components, including small boards that I can mount in the MS case for further circuitry that I may add at a later date.

I hope to be able to get help from this forum, and to provide help to others where my experience may be helpful to them.
Thanks for taking the time to read my first post, and I'm looking forward to being a part of this forum!
Megasquirt 2 V3.0 Running Msextra 3.4.2. in a 1989 Camaro RS .48AR/60mm Turbo 3.4L/700R4
Boost control, Fan control, Stepper IAC, Launch/Antilag, Working on the GMDIS, and Methanol injection
elturbonitroso
Master MS/Extra'er

Re: New member here saying hello

Post by elturbonitroso »

welcome to the ms community .
elutionsdesign
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by elutionsdesign »

Welcome, your projects sound like fun.
Graduate of EFI University.

I build, repair, install and tune Megasquirt systems in North Dakota and beyond!
WillExoIX
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by WillExoIX »

Thank you guys! I can never leave anything alone, I have to tinker with everything, lol
Megasquirt 2 V3.0 Running Msextra 3.4.2. in a 1989 Camaro RS .48AR/60mm Turbo 3.4L/700R4
Boost control, Fan control, Stepper IAC, Launch/Antilag, Working on the GMDIS, and Methanol injection
blowncbr
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by blowncbr »

Hi all,
Newby in Australia, by the nic of Tiny, with an upcoming need for knowledge of EFI setup, sensors,etc & at 60, learning takes a while.
At the moment I have a land speed race bike, Honda CBR250r , fitted with draw thru Aisin AMR300 supercharger which is teaching the drawbacks of draw thru setup.
I'm using Methanol now, but once the following project happens, I'll use VP gas and an ice intercooler
Future plans include replacing the Supercharger with a turbo, using (probably) Minisquirt & a single throttle body, oh. and a 3rd wheel
Tiny
elutionsdesign
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by elutionsdesign »

Welcome Tiny, that sounds like another cool project.
Graduate of EFI University.

I build, repair, install and tune Megasquirt systems in North Dakota and beyond!
blowncbr
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by blowncbr »

elutionsdesign wrote:Welcome Tiny, that sounds like another cool project.
My brain has kinda fried just deciding what I need at this stage, luckily, my son has the smarts with all electrickery, and mates with megasquirt experience, too bad they live 300 miles from me though :roll:
Tiny
stan.distortion
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by stan.distortion »

Hi, I'm a noob in Ireland about to replace the K-Jetronic on a 924 with an MS 1 or 2, not decided which yet as I'm still looking for a supplier for kits and which version mainly depends on whether they will accept Bitcoin. Still getting to grips with the docs though so its all up in the air for now :)
FastenSeatbelt
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by FastenSeatbelt »

Hi all! New member here, from Oshawa (near Toronto), Canada...

I just purchased a MSII v3.0, un-assembled, and a few other bits and stuff...will be putting it in a 1996 Mustang, stripped down, full roll-cage, Ford Racing (SVO) 351W shortblock, Performer RPM intake (multiport EFI), Victor Jr aluminum heads, BBK throttle body. I bought the car last year, and managed to get a couple of laps in at Mosport (car is awesome mechanically), but there are all sorts of problems because the wiring is just a complete mess (car was originally a 6-cylinder)...the computer (from a 1993 5.0, I think) has a piggyback chip or something in it...the OBDII connection wont work, there are bits of wiring harness that are not connected, there is even speaker wire connecting various components :-)

So...I have decided to replace the computer and ALL wiring, start from scratch, as it were...

I am excited to start assembling my Megasquirt...it just shipped today!!

I will no doubt have some questions as I have never soldered a connection in my life :-)

Cheers

David
91DakBuilder
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by 91DakBuilder »

Hi All My name is Frank or Jay (long Story) and I'm new to the MS forum, but not to MS. I've been building my MS3 for a little over a year now (another long story). Finialy in the finishing stages. I was an Electronic technician in the US Navy and am a Network Engineer, so I opted for the unassembled version as I have ample soldering experience. My first project with MS3 is a build for my 02 Dodge Dakota 3.9l v6. Mods are a M1 intake modified for EFI, 24# FMS injectors, Headers anda Powerdyne S/C. After reading several of the post here I'm actually considering toying with swapping to a COP ignition system. I'll go down that road after I get the truck running on MS, and driving well. The second project will be a 63 Dodge Dart with a Gen III 5.7l Hemi running MS3 for everything. I look forward to learning as much as I can on this site and sharing what I've learned thusfar. This EFI bug is running wild in my brain :yeah!:
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

Welcome! I've got an early A-body myself, although instead of an engine swap, I'm turboing the original engine.
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
R100RT
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by R100RT »

Matt Cramer wrote:Welcome! I've got an early A-body myself, although instead of an engine swap, I'm turboing the original engine.
And how is that project coming along Matt?
1983 BMW R100RT Motorbike
Turbocharged - Water/Meth
Sequential Ignition & Fuel
"Perky Sleeper" that excites bike enthusiasts once discovered (or being passed)
Newest project - 1995 BMW K75 is V3 Microsquirt, "Turbocharger - Of Course"
91DakBuilder
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by 91DakBuilder »

Thanks Matt, I've been following along with your build. I like what you've done to the Slant 6, Quite impressive IMO. By the way thanks so much for all of the help with my build thusfar. You've really helped me increase my knowledge of EFI tremendously.
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

R100RT wrote:
And how is that project coming along Matt?
Been kind of held up lately. Bought an older Chevy truck for my wife to use for running some errands, and found it had a cracked engine block. So naturally I decided it needed an LS motor swap.
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
91DakBuilder
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by 91DakBuilder »

Matt,

It seems you are a true gear head like the rest of us here lol