"MS4" wishlist thread

A general forum and a place for initial or prospective users. See Manuals/Documentation
Click here to enter
Contact a Forum Administrator
If unsure where to post, post in this sub-forum.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

mr_minnis
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Re: "MS4" wishlist thread

Post by mr_minnis »

dontz125 wrote: ?? Oil pressure & temp, fuel temp don't use VR conditioning circuits. They use ADC filters.
oh my mistake. I thought you meant ADC. I'd like to use my factory VSS sensor, however to do that I would need to get a vr conditioner. Something like what Jean makes would be good but have it built onto the main board or be able to be added. Sorta like how you can add the real time clock, or knock modules to the MS3x.
88 Stang LX Vert. 3.73s and MS3x, D585 Coils AEM EPM
Rickster
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Rickster »

I agree with Jeans post above (previous page) 100%
There is no middle ground for those who want to build their own. You get to choose from the micro squirt that doesnt have enough of what you might need, you have the MS3 v3.0 or v3.57 that is too big and has really sub par connections, or you have the super (too) expensive MS3Pro variants.

Rick
JAM
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by JAM »

Rickster wrote: you have the MS3 v3.0 or v3.57 that is too big and has really sub par connections,

Rick
what does this mean ?
dontz125
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by dontz125 »

Compared with some ECUs, the MS3 is physically massive - it's not something that can be easily fitted on a bike, or even some cars.

A lot of people do NOT like the DB connectors, and is a large part of the MS line's poor reputation. That said, there has been at least one aircraft type who notes that some of the avionics modules he works on use DB connectors.
Temporarily shut down - back soon!
QuadraMAP Sensor Module -- PWM-to-Stepper Controller -- Dual Coil Driver
Coming soon: OctoMAP Sensor Module
TTR Ignition Systems
JAM
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by JAM »

dontz125 wrote:Compared with some ECUs, the MS3 is physically massive - it's not something that can be easily fitted on a bike, or even some cars.

A lot of people do NOT like the DB connectors, and is a large part of the MS line's poor reputation. That said, there has been at least one aircraft type who notes that some of the avionics modules he works on use DB connectors.
I see. The DB connectors down fall i would think would be the waterproof/sealed element- which the standard non-pro case is not waterproof anyway. if a person is into bikes or heavy off road which may be subject to water that would be an issue. As far as an electrical connection i was at first skeptical but after sending it through high vibration vehicles with solid motor mounts and tire shake year after year i realized its a good electrical connection. on the other hand I have shaken the SD card right out of the unit on more than one occasion- :? :lol: . but i would say DB are not the prettiest thing- which i think is the real complaint rather than the actual connection ? :?:
dontz125
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by dontz125 »

Given the existence of industrial-quality DB connectors rated to IP67 water-tightness, at this point I would suggest it's very much a prejudice left over from "I saw that connector on the back of my Commodore PET computer from 30 years ago, so it must be crap!" :roll:
TTR Ignition Systems
JAM
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by JAM »

dontz125 wrote:Given the existence of industrial-quality DB connectors rated to IP67 water-tightness, at this point I would suggest it's very much a prejudice left over from "I saw that connector on the back of my Commodore PET computer from 30 years ago, so it must be crap!" :roll:
:lol: it is that way. i didn't even know they were water tight- shows what i know but i guess it doesn't matter if the case is not. I forget that they are DB connectors, i just like that the unit works good, the connections have no problems and is flexible and expandable. But i am weird like that
dontz125
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by dontz125 »

The DB connectors provided in the MS line are NOT waterproof; there are such things out there, though.
TTR Ignition Systems
Rickster
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Rickster »

Has there been any traction on this? We desperately need an updated, cost effective solution...my 2 cents.

Rick
DaveEFI
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by DaveEFI »

dontz125 wrote:Compared with some ECUs, the MS3 is physically massive - it's not something that can be easily fitted on a bike, or even some cars.

They're used on broadcast equipment too - not noted for penny pinching.

They are also available from several makers in several qualities - and at differing prices. Buying the cheapest unbranded may not get the best one.

As with any connector, it is important not to exceed the rating.

They are a bit fiddly to wire correctly - but the same can be said of any small multi-pole connector. And I can think of several which are more tricky.

Other thing is it's an industry standard connector which has been available for ages and which will continue to be available from a wide variety of suppliers. Go to a more specific connector this might not be the case. Car makers can have a connector specially designed for them due to the volumes involved. It also allows then to control the price of spares.
Rover SD1 3.5 EFI
MS2 V3
EDIS
Tech Edge O2
London UK.
muythaibxr
Site Admin

Post by muythaibxr »

Rickster wrote:I agree with Jeans post above (previous page) 100%
There is no middle ground for those who want to build their own. You get to choose from the micro squirt that doesnt have enough of what you might need, you have the MS3 v3.0 or v3.57 that is too big and has really sub par connections, or you have the super (too) expensive MS3Pro variants.

Rick
Super expensive compared to what?
Megasquirt is not for use on pollution controlled vehicles. Any advice I give is for off road use only.
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

Rick
How about a DIYPNP? 4 cylinder sequential injection, your choice of OEM automotive connector, around $460 for a kit with the sequential injection option.
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
Rickster
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Rickster »

muythaibxr wrote:Super expensive compared to what?
Compared to whats actually on the board. I can buy similar PCB's & components for a fraction of the $850 for the base module. I feel that is way overpriced for what it is, a PCB and components.

Again just my 2 cents, and what has kept me from purchasing one.

Rick
Rickster
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Rickster »

Matt Cramer wrote:

Rick
How about a DIYPNP? 4 cylinder sequential injection, your choice of OEM automotive connector, around $460 for a kit with the sequential injection option.
Possibly for my next 4 cyl project, but my last 2 have been 8cyl and I really wanted full sequential.

Rick
slow_hemi6
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by slow_hemi6 »

Rickster wrote:
muythaibxr wrote:Super expensive compared to what?
Compared to whats actually on the board. I can buy similar PCB's & components for a fraction of the $850 for the base module. I feel that is way overpriced for what it is, a PCB and components.

Again just my 2 cents, and what has kept me from purchasing one.

Rick
Economies of scale. It's not a raspberry pi, Those are cheap but they've also sold 4 million of those. Not hard to cover costs and make some money when you got this kind of turnover. look at gaming consoles they release at around $800 but within a few years they've sold millions and they are re-released as a newer smaller footprint and the price steadily falls to under $200. Maybe after DIY have sold their 1 millionth module they might put them on sale for us. :D
Find the Manuals up top under Quick links: Manuals. :RTFM:
Cheers Luke
racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by racingmini_mtl »

You also have to consider that you're buying the rights to the firmware, development of said firmware, and support from the developers and vendors. Because you can buy your own board and components but you'd still need to spend a lot of time and effort on the rest before you have got an ECU and not just a pile of electronics.

Having said that I still think I raised valid points in my post.

Jean
jbperf.com Main site . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . jbperf.com Forum
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Post by jsmcortina »

Yes, there's a huge difference between a pile of electronic components and a product.

James
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

My Success story: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 04&t=34277
MSEXTRA documentation at: http://www.msextra.com/doc/index.html
New users, please read the "Forum Help Page".
nismoautoxr
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by nismoautoxr »

strictly speaking to the DB connectors....I have been daily driving my install for 2 years now with some pretty brutal time attack duty as well. Im on and off rumble strips/gators that will just about take the rear view mirror off the windshield ...the rotors get so hot sometimes that its a challenge to hold on to the steering wheel....anybody thats seen my road atlanta sessions or TGPR sessions can attest to this LOL. I have yet to have any problems with anything on this unit including the DB connectors . I have my MS3+X attached to the rollbar mainhoop so its a direct mounting .I like the fact that its a connector that is not likely to become scarce in the event that Im at some unknown podunk town at a racetrack and need parts . It sure beats bus bar screws like a few old electromotive units I have worked with in the past (Im telling my age now).
Ricky-
1995 Nissan 240sx, 403 LS strokerv8 N/A 6speed trans
MS3&MS3X v.3.0 PCB
42lb/hr Hi-Z inj.,230/232 @.050 on 114LSA cam
sequential fuel and sequential spark
LS3/LSA card MAF sensor
97 Mazda MX5
MS3 2002 vvt motor
.60 trim T4 Turbo at 15 PSI
billr
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by billr »

I usually ignore this thread, since the MS3 has more capability than I can understand or fully use. However, I gotta say... DB contacts and crimp tools are much more available and much more affordable than the "insanely expensive" tools complained about in other threads.
dontz125
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by dontz125 »

racingmini_mtl wrote:You also have to consider that you're buying the rights to the firmware, development of said firmware, and support from the developers and vendors. Because you can buy your own board and components but you'd still need to spend a lot of time and effort on the rest before you have got an ECU and not just a pile of electronics.
By the same token, DIY sells a MS3/X + RTC + knock module for $810, and it's a ready-to-roll unit. The MS3Pro Module, at $850, still has to be fitted with a carrier board and mounting hardware, an enclosure (which may or may not require significant machining to accept the boards and include the openings), and connectors. For a full-on drag car with a V8 plus nitrous and a turbo, it may well be the non plus ultra. For someone with a simpler installation, it's over-horsed, over-designed, over-sized, and over-priced.
TTR Ignition Systems