"MS4" wishlist thread

A general forum and a place for initial or prospective users. See Manuals/Documentation
Click here to enter
Contact a Forum Administrator
If unsure where to post, post in this sub-forum.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: "MS4" wishlist thread

Post by racingmini_mtl »

jacky4566 wrote:My point is there must be a faster better stronger cpu than the one introduced in 2004.
See the last sentence in my previous post.

And if your goal is to reduce the BOM, adding level shifters (which are not what you need for analog signals) is not the way to go. And 5V tolerant inputs are useless for analog signals. I think you need to find out what is needed for engine management before you tell people here what they should be looking at. Generic consumer type CPUs look very interesting and cheap until you try finding one that will actually do the job. I have not seen one ARM-based one that fills the needs (for a start: lots of timers of the right kind, lots of 5V ADC inputs, at least one CAN bus).

Jean
jbperf.com Main site . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . jbperf.com Forum
slow_hemi6
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by slow_hemi6 »

The uC's used currently are automotive spec. If I am not mistaken the initial use for this family of uC was ABS controllers. Just think how many people are driving around with this family of controller keeping them safe and the reliability required for such an application.
Find the Manuals up top under Quick links: Manuals. :RTFM:
Cheers Luke
Peter Florance
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Peter Florance »

Everyone will think I'm nuts, but I'm a little nostalgic for the multi processor topology like the MS2 Sequencer used.
It was nice having stumble free burns with MS2 hardware.
With more Canbus applications, main processor is going to get a workout.
Having said that, I don't have to do the programming, so not sure implications of multi processor topology.
Peter Florance
PF Tuning
81 BMW Euro 528i ESP Car
60-2 Wheel LS2 Coils, Low Z Inj
Co-Driver 1999 BMW E46 DSP car.
dontz125
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by dontz125 »

Fascinating. How was the stumble-free burn achieved, using (I assume) a second identical processor? Without denigrating the suggestion, if the MS3 is capable of smooth burns and the MS4 will presumably have a newer processor, what is achieved by adding a second older processor?

Or am I not understanding the point? (Always a possibility ...)
Temporarily shut down - back soon!
QuadraMAP Sensor Module -- PWM-to-Stepper Controller -- Dual Coil Driver
Coming soon: OctoMAP Sensor Module
TTR Ignition Systems
Peter Florance
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Peter Florance »

One processor handled ignition IIRC.
I was a beta tester and its where the newer VR sensor input hardware was tested.
Peter Florance
PF Tuning
81 BMW Euro 528i ESP Car
Peter Florance
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Peter Florance »

But this could be a PITA to develop. I don't know.
Peter Florance
PF Tuning
81 BMW Euro 528i ESP Car
racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by racingmini_mtl »

You can have a much better hardware and software solution with a single processor that has things like multi-cores, DMA and other specialized modules.

Jean
jbperf.com Main site . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . jbperf.com Forum
Peter Florance
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Peter Florance »

racingmini_mtl wrote:You can have a much better hardware and software solution with a single processor that has things like multi-cores, DMA and other specialized modules.

Jean
Makes sense.
The broadcast rate required to make our OEM cluster function is a pretty good load for MS3.
Multicore; I guess in a way the MS2 Sequencer demonstrated the power of more than one core or processor.
Peter Florance
PF Tuning
81 BMW Euro 528i ESP Car
racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Re:

Post by racingmini_mtl »

Peter Florance wrote:The broadcast rate required to make our OEM cluster function is a pretty good load for MS3.
That's where DMA is very useful. You can just have the CAN module read memory and transmit the data without interrupting the main loop.

And the MS3 CPU is multi-core.

Jean
jsimmons
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by jsimmons »

What is the difference in a processor thats used for a deaktop and one thats used for a car? Is it the volage requirements or what? I ask because i dont have a clue. i know that while the processors used in ms3 are way cheaper than the one i have in my custom built desktop, dual and quad core processors for that matter can be had cheap that far surpass a 50 mhz cloak speed.
jacky4566
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by jacky4566 »

jsimmons what your really asking is the difference between Microprocessor and Microcontroller.

Microprocessor is an IC which has only the CPU inside them i.e. only the processing powers such as Intel’s Pentium 1,2,3,4, core 2 duo, i3, i5 etc. These microprocessors don’t have RAM, ROM, and other peripheral on the chip. A system designer has to add them externally to make them functional. Application of microprocessor includes Desktop PC’s, Laptops, notepads etc.

But this is not the case with Microcontrollers. Microcontroller has a CPU, in addition with a fixed amount of RAM, ROM and other peripherals all embedded on a single chip. These are the chips used for the MS project and include features like dedicated CAN BUS controller, Analog inputs, and special timer circuits.

Microcontrollers are designed to perform specific tasks. Specific means applications where the relationship of input and output is defined. Depending on the input, some processing needs to be done and output is delivered. For example, keyboards, mouse, washing machine, digicam, pendrive, remote, microwave, cars, bikes, telephone, mobiles, watches, etc. Since the applications are very specific, they need small resources like RAM, ROM, I/O ports etc and hence can be embedded on a single chip. This in turn reduces the size and the cost. Additionally Microcontrollers tend to be harded for harsh environments and can tolerate bumps, shocks, and cold weather without problem, they tend to be more reliable.

Hope that helps!
jsimmons
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by jsimmons »

Very much so thanks.
jacky4566
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by jacky4566 »

It's been a year since this thread was active. Is there any development for MS4? I see DIY has released the MSPRO ultimate.

So are we at peak ECU where most people have all the features they need?

Just curious really.
Suprazz
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by Suprazz »

I think you can forget about it.
Best looking and most advanced CAN-bus gauge
Toyota Supra 7MGE, 7M-GTE and 1JZ-GTE Plug and play ECUs: http://www.perfecttuning.net
Serial to Bluetooth or Serial to WiFi
DIYAutotune Canadian, EFI Source and ECUMaster reseller!
Peter Florance
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: Re:

Post by Peter Florance »

racingmini_mtl wrote:
Peter Florance wrote:The broadcast rate required to make our OEM cluster function is a pretty good load for MS3.
That's where DMA is very useful. You can just have the CAN module read memory and transmit the data without interrupting the main loop.

And the MS3 CPU is multi-core.

Jean
So MS3 is already used in this fashion?
Peter Florance
PF Tuning
81 BMW Euro 528i ESP Car
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Post by jsmcortina »

There's no DMA on the processors we currently use. Newer parts do.

The MS3's second core (XGATE) is used to operate the fuel and spark outputs with low latency.

Stumble free burn is possible because the processor used in MS3 has "data flash" and "programme flash" so we can store new calibration data while the engine keeps running. MS2 only has programme flash and execution stops while the 'burn' takes place.

James
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

My Success story: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 04&t=34277
MSEXTRA documentation at: http://www.msextra.com/doc/index.html
New users, please read the "Forum Help Page".
jacky4566
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by jacky4566 »

Suprazz wrote:I think you can forget about it.
Forget about what? Do you think MS is dying?
Its inevitable there will be a 4. I was just curious if anyone was actively working on it, or if its more of a pipe dream for now.
Peter Florance
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Peter Florance »

jsmcortina wrote:There's no DMA on the processors we currently use. Newer parts do.

The MS3's second core (XGATE) is used to operate the fuel and spark outputs with low latency.

Stumble free burn is possible because the processor used in MS3 has "data flash" and "programme flash" so we can store new calibration data while the engine keeps running. MS2 only has programme flash and execution stops while the 'burn' takes place.

James
Cheers James.
I'm hoping for enough horsepower that we can broadcast CANbus at a good rate without threat of main loop getting too long (if that was the issue; forget exactly what the concern was)

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
Peter Florance
PF Tuning
81 BMW Euro 528i ESP Car
whittlebeast
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by whittlebeast »

I would like to see DBW so we can do throttle mapping and serious traction control.

On board GPS and accelerators/gyros.

Plenty of IO so that we can do suspension data and aero data.

Larger generic PWM tables.

Larger VE tables up to about 30x30 or so. High reving boosted motors simply don't fit a 16x16 model very well. Jet skis are commonly reving to 9000 rpm and pushing 250 KPA and spending lots of time there. They idle at 1600 RPM.

Plenty of speed to pass data to a dedicated dash package that is just as slick as the typical factory dashes. Having the ECU and touch screen dash as one integrated package would be cool.

Andy
Peter Florance
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Peter Florance »

DBW means the price needs to go way up to fund legal defense.
People in Motorsports do sue...

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
Peter Florance
PF Tuning
81 BMW Euro 528i ESP Car