"MS4" wishlist thread

A general forum and a place for initial or prospective users. See Manuals/Documentation
Click here to enter
Contact a Forum Administrator
If unsure where to post, post in this sub-forum.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

subwoofer
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: "MS4" wishlist thread

Post by subwoofer »

Retrofitting diesel glow plugs into a non-diesel head is also a PITA, unfortunately. Did you ever get any closer to a source for the spark plug piezo washer sensors?

Once we have usable combustion chamber pressure detection, the rest is Just a Small Matter of Programming(TM)...
Joachim
1974 Jensen-Healey
1990 VW Caravelle Syncro - running MS3+X
2014 Ford Fiesta EcoBoost
piledriver
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by piledriver »

subwoofer wrote:Retrofitting diesel glow plugs into a non-diesel head is also a PITA, unfortunately. Did you ever get any closer to a source for the spark plug piezo washer sensors?

Once we have usable combustion chamber pressure detection, the rest is Just a Small Matter of Programming(TM)...
No joy on the washers, I read somewhere about OEM spark plugs being worked on with similar sensors for GDI... with any luck they will be std thread/reach etc.

I suspect the existing knock chips as in MS3 etc would be able to use the signal for knock/det, PPP will always be harder, but the GPL source code is available online, uploaded to these forums.
Always doing things the hard way, MS2 sequential w/ v1.01 mainboard, LS2 coils. 80 mile/day commuter status.
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Post by jsmcortina »

piledriver wrote:the GPL source code is available online, uploaded to these forums.
Do remember that GPL code cannot be incorporated within any Megasquirt code due to the contagion problem.

James
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

My Success story: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 04&t=34277
MSEXTRA documentation at: http://www.msextra.com/doc/index.html
New users, please read the "Forum Help Page".
piledriver
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by piledriver »

jsmcortina wrote:
piledriver wrote:the GPL source code is available online, uploaded to these forums.
Do remember that GPL code cannot be incorporated within any Megasquirt code due to the contagion problem.

James

It's going to have to go in another box, no GPL issues if just hooked up electrically.

The author may also reliscence to LGPL, or to B&G if asked.
(The original author can reliscence as he wishes)

Honeywell/transmetra load cell brochure, still looking for any pricing, but they make herds of them...

http://www.transmetra.ch/images/transme ... eywell.pdf
Always doing things the hard way, MS2 sequential w/ v1.01 mainboard, LS2 coils. 80 mile/day commuter status.
piledriver
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by piledriver »

OooooooooooOoooooooOooooooooO these are $64 1000 PSI rated to 125C (others exist) looking for complete specs
Not an ebay fluke that's list price on alibaba, needs an amp etc but something to work with...
Thinking head bolt washer? There are higher and lower pressure versions, anyone know what range is normal?

THESE DO NOT APPEAR TO BE JUNK, just discontinued?
Entran was purchased by Measurement Specialties...

Entran Devices EL Compression Load Cell ELF-1000-1000
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Entran-Devi ... 1e8caafcc7
subwoofer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by subwoofer »

I think head bolts may be loaded too heavily for them? I haven't calculated the load on a head stud, but I imagine it to be a lot higher than 100 bars (1500psi). There is also the issue of cylinder-to-cylinder separation.

Rooting for OEM spark plugs with built in pressure sensors. As the push for fuel economy continues and petrol engines now being downsized the way diesels have been for the last 20 years, they will be looking for a way to close the loop on timing on the petrols too.
Joachim
1974 Jensen-Healey
piledriver
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by piledriver »

You are right, 1000 lbs would probably have to be used under bridge setup (AKA lever)
Shame really, they looked like nice bits, might be usable simply bolted to part of the head in some applications.

The seller on ebay revealed they are 1" OD and .380 thick, so the hole is pretty small. Can't even see if it a through hole...
piledriver
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by piledriver »

Those 1000 lb sensors are 1" OD, 1/4" ID, and 3/8" thick, and need a 15v bias.
For $80 delivered I have to try them...
I''ll probably pick up one or 2 payday, have an evil plan..for another thread.
piledriver
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by piledriver »

As previously looked at for MS3, programmable limp mode implementation i.e. Alpha-N fallback when MAP or MAF sensor fail is detected.
(does require at least a rough AN mode tuning, but more features=more effort)

May still be on "the list" for MS3 along with in FW lambda delay table and related tools.
subwoofer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by subwoofer »

OTOH, once you have a proper tune, producing the limp tune can easily be done by means of scatter plots from a set of SD card logs.

Eagerly awaiting the results of your evil plan! :twisted:
Joachim
1974 Jensen-Healey
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

piledriver wrote:As previously looked at for MS3, programmable limp mode implementation i.e. Alpha-N fallback when MAP or MAF sensor fail is detected.
MS3 is already there, at least with detecting MAP sensor failures. It's currently not implemented for MAF, but you may want to propose a strategy for that in the MS3 development forum.
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
athal
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by athal »

Matt Cramer wrote:There's been some looking at ion sensing before: single cylinder test engine Yes, I know it's an older thread.

But when doing research, by definition, it's hard to predict what you will find. No telling whether the end result will be a viable product, or a conclusion that the technology needed just isn't there yet.

Matt,

I have you book under my pillow. Nice reading I strongly recommend. :RTFM:

Delphi is pursuing combustion phasing detection:
http://delphi.com/pdf/techpapers/2013-01-0354.pdf

Regards.
seishuku
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by seishuku »

elaw wrote:Which brings me to my "wishlist for ms4" idea: an MC68332 processor! Now *that's* a processor with some horsepower, and is specifically designed for automotive applications. Of course it's also near end-of-life so maybe a ColdFire MCF532x type instead. :lol:
Didn't B&G already do that?
http://www.diy-efi.org/efi332/
subwoofer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by subwoofer »

The 68332 is old as the hills, why design anything with that now?

ARM based SoCs from Xilinx/Altera/Actel are a lot more powerful and incredibly flexible.
Joachim
1974 Jensen-Healey
piledriver
Super MS/Extra'er

Re:

Post by piledriver »

subwoofer wrote:The 68332 is old as the hills, why design anything with that now?

ARM based SoCs from Xilinx/Altera/Actel are a lot more powerful and incredibly flexible.

The 68xxx cpus could be (if needed) bit banged and relied on for hard real time uses.
subwoofer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by subwoofer »

I am all too aware of the Cortex M weakness in terms of the lack of single bit manipulation instructions, that is why I am suggesting to use an SoC. With the FPGA matrix there will never be a need to bit-bang anything, you stick a shift register in the matrix and provide a correct clock and off you go.
Joachim
1974 Jensen-Healey
JAM
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by JAM »

I don't know if this is appropriate place for this, so feel free to delete if needed.

First is just more I/O in general of various styles.

This may be a software wishlist item or both, and comes from a feature on another ecu.

To me it seems at times a bit confusing what pins can be used for what. And it used to be confusing what pins were in use but that is much better.

My wishlist includes something that would show you what features have been defined for use, where they are used, what type of input (ie 5V in this case) and if they are still waiting to be assigned. First pic shows that i setup custom inputs and curves to use 8 EGT TC's. but they have not been assigned to a pin. You can see the different inputs and what they can be used for. (ie 20V in, 5 V in, thermistor, hi, ground, frequency)
pin map 1.JPG
I have to put these unassigned in a 5V spot. to do so, drag from unassigned into desired pin. you can see where they are, what type was actually used, (5V) and the name.
pin map 2.JPG
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Post by jsmcortina »

JAM wrote:My wishlist includes something that would show you what features have been defined for use, where they are used,
These are there already in the current 1.3 firmware ? (Except for the voltage level.)

James
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

My Success story: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 04&t=34277
MSEXTRA documentation at: http://www.msextra.com/doc/index.html
New users, please read the "Forum Help Page".
JAM
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by JAM »

jsmcortina wrote:
JAM wrote:My wishlist includes something that would show you what features have been defined for use, where they are used,
These are there already in the current 1.3 firmware ? (Except for the voltage level.)

James
yes, that was a great addition. if it showed the voltage level etc that would be a good addition(what the options for pin are if it is not used, and if it is used what method was chosen)

the drag and drop I could take or leave. It seems that in the MS it is req to sometimes do hardware mods in order to change from a low or hi? if that is right it would be nice to not have to do that, or somehow indicate what it is setup on. not sure how this ecu does it but they had to figure how to not have to do anything inside..... THE WHOLE ENTIRE ECU IS POTTED!! full of epoxy, its about 10# and there must be no repairing it!!
Lincolnman
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Lincolnman »

I read through the thread (okay, I skimmed the last half dozen posts) and in he back of my mind the whole time I was thinking about things I would like to see. The 24 generic outputs idea was cool, but impractical, the software adjustable firing order seems a no-brainer (but I am no programmer, it may be much harder than it appears), I would like to see MS4 (MS4X?) "out of the box" capable of full sequential on V10 and V12 engines, but I suppose it is still too small a market. (It shouldn't be. Old V12s are ridiculous cheap because the OEM ECUs are awful.) Then it occurred to me what I really need, and so my request is through the lens of my own needs (and shortcomings).
Can we get smarter customers? (I include myself here more than other people - take no offense.)