Who loves Microsquirt ?

A general forum and a place for initial or prospective users. See Manuals/Documentation
Click here to enter
Contact a Forum Administrator
If unsure where to post, post in this sub-forum.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

dontz125
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: Who loves Microsquirt ?

Post by dontz125 »

piledriver wrote:Would you sell it as a kit for folks who have a stereo microscope, pace kit and hot air rework stations on their desk for ultra fine pitch rework :twisted: ?
Someone with a set-up like that has fancier toys than I do! :lol: Sure, if someone feels they're up to the installation, I'll cheerfully sell them just the board. This would however result in a NO WARRANTY situation on the assembly; I would still warrant the board itself, of course.
Temporarily shut down - back soon!
QuadraMAP Sensor Module -- PWM-to-Stepper Controller -- Dual Coil Driver
Coming soon: OctoMAP Sensor Module
TTR Ignition Systems
24c
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by 24c »

dontz125 wrote:...The problem is that the cost difference in components between a uS-T and a uS-TFE (which is basically a standard uS) is trivial, compared to the production costs of a separate board, enclosure, engineering time, tooling, separate packaging and handling ...
Agreed, but wasn't the now buried Sequencer a MicroSquirt on steroids. Never knew why that didn't get rolling.
piledriver wrote:Still trying to figure out how to integrate a Weissach (geometry, at least) rear axle under it.
(It looks archaic, but ~all the "modern" multi link setups emulate it)
It wasn't archaic, just a clever use of angled rubber bushes and a pivot, and elegantly simplistic. Should work well in a lighter car. :)
Yamaha GTS1000 v2 MicroSquirt, B&G 2.891
Yamaha GTS1000 v3 beta MicroSquirt, B&G3.760
Yamaha GTS1000 MSExtra 3.1, Dual VR Board
Yamaha YZF1000 MSExtra 3.1
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

24c wrote:Agreed, but wasn't the now buried Sequencer a MicroSquirt on steroids. Never knew why that didn't get rolling.
The Sequencer ended up being less capable than MS3 and more complicated from a programming and setup standpoint. A number of its design features ended up being spun off into the MS3-Pro, including its power supply circuit and the double-sized MicroSquirt case. Currently the Sequencer design has been mothballed, but it may be brought back if they find some particular niche that it fills better than the existing lineup.
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
24c
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by 24c »

Matt Cramer wrote:A number of its design features ended up being spun off into the MS3-Pro, including its power supply circuit and the double-sized MicroSquirt case.
I didn't realise that, and I have just looked on your website and seen the MS3 Module Board, now that's a very nice bit of kit.
Just a little too pricey for my projects, and a big step up from a baseline $250 Module Board, but wow its got a great feature set.
My thoughts after seeing this, there should ideally be a board that was situated halfway in this space, lurking around the sub $500 price point, that offered capabilities somewhere between these two module boards.

Mike
Yamaha GTS1000 v2 MicroSquirt, B&G 2.891
Yamaha GTS1000 v3 beta MicroSquirt, B&G3.760
Yamaha GTS1000 MSExtra 3.1, Dual VR Board
Yamaha YZF1000 MSExtra 3.1
racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by racingmini_mtl »

24c wrote:My thoughts after seeing this, there should ideally be a board that was situated halfway in this space, lurking around the sub $500 price point, that offered capabilities somewhere between these two module boards.
I agree. A 4-cylinder MS3 module without the output, ignition and injector drivers but with the basic input circuits, micro SD card, RTC and power supply in a size no bigger than the Microsquirt module would be great. The other circuits would be on the carrier board with a connector and the circuits used could be chosen for the application instead of having to live with the module circuits or work around what was imposed.

Jean
jbperf.com Main site . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . jbperf.com Forum
750essess
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by 750essess »

I too would be interested in a microsquirt sized 4 channel fuel device. Would it be possible to re purpose the 3rd and 4th ignition channels for injectors on the micro module? Then build injector drivers instead of ignition.
76 honda cb750 600rr tb's micosquirt module running extra code
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Post by jsmcortina »

750essess wrote:I too would be interested in a microsquirt sized 4 channel fuel device. Would it be possible to re purpose the 3rd and 4th ignition channels for injectors on the micro module? Then build injector drivers instead of ignition.
You can already do that on the module. EDIT: See how Jean explained it below.

James
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

My Success story: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 04&t=34277
MSEXTRA documentation at: http://www.msextra.com/doc/index.html
New users, please read the "Forum Help Page".
racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by racingmini_mtl »

750essess wrote:I too would be interested in a microsquirt sized 4 channel fuel device. Would it be possible to re purpose the 3rd and 4th ignition channels for injectors on the micro module? Then build injector drivers instead of ignition.
You can't repurpose the ignition channels. And if you're talking about the Microsquirt module (not the cased version) you can already have 4 injector channels by using PT6 and PT7 and adding the needed drivers. It is done (or an option) on almost all the Microsquirt module-based units including my own.

Jean
jbperf.com Main site . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . jbperf.com Forum
750essess
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by 750essess »

Ah ok. I see that now. I remembered in correctly that they where used for ignition. I can't use them though because I'm running a stepper driver. I do seem to recall seeing someone has a pwm to stepper add on now though. That might work. Hmmmm
Manu
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by Manu »

750essess wrote:I can't use them though because I'm running a stepper driver.
With recents firmware, Stepper motor can use some others pin than PT6 & PT7. So you can have 4 inj outputs & IAC at same time.
The big benefit with MS3 firmware is VVT which is more and more used and can't be driven by MS2 firmware.

A not too expensive with sequential 4 inj + 4 ing + VVT will be a good choice in France. When users have this kind of setup (and there is a lot), they buy an chanlenger C6 ECU from skynam for a little less than an MS3pro. This ECU is far less capable than MS3pro, but feed their needs.
I can supply, repair or upgrade Megasquirts in FRANCE.

https://www.megasquirt.fr
750essess
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by 750essess »

Is it documented anywhere which of the alternate pins go to what input on the stepper chip? Haven't been able to find anything
Manu
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by Manu »

This seem to be part of 3.4 stream. Grab the last alpha and you will see this in IDLE section ;-)

750essess
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by 750essess »

I'm assuming spare adc2 goes to iac enable. Fidle goes to iac in 1 and spare adc goes to iac in 2 on the stepper driver chip
dontz125
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by dontz125 »

That's only for the cased uS. If you're using a module, connect IACEn to IAC_Enable, PT6 to Phase2, and PT7 to Phase1.
Temporarily shut down - back soon!
QuadraMAP Sensor Module -- PWM-to-Stepper Controller -- Dual Coil Driver
Coming soon: OctoMAP Sensor Module
TTR Ignition Systems
Manu
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by Manu »

750essess wrote:I'm assuming spare adc2 goes to iac enable. Fidle goes to iac in 1 and spare adc goes to iac in 2 on the stepper driver chip
If the typo is correct, this should be that

750essess
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by 750essess »

Dontz125 that is correct if not using pt6-7 for extra injector outputs. Using like that now. Found the info on efi source Image
JoseMiguel
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by JoseMiguel »

Thanks to this thread, in which I participated more than a year ago, I began offering MicroSquirt to my clients instead of the usual MS unit and have got nothing but positive results and a better image from people that know nothing about MS and find that the MicroSquirt looks and is a more professional looking product, and needs no modding at all to get working.

But I still think, as I said before in thi thread, that there is a product missing in the "pro" line and my wish is still that you guys want to consider building somerhing like that. A product for the people that consider a MS3Pro a bit overkill and a MicroSquirt a bit lacking. My wish is a MicroSquirt based product with 4 fuel outputs, 4 logic spark outputs, same tach inputs as the MS, two pwm outputs and a few i/o. That would be a killer product, specially for the 4 cyl crowd.
racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by racingmini_mtl »

JoseMiguel wrote:But I still think, as I said before in thi thread, that there is a product missing in the "pro" line and my wish is still that you guys want to consider building somerhing like that. A product for the people that consider a MS3Pro a bit overkill and a MicroSquirt a bit lacking. My wish is a MicroSquirt based product with 4 fuel outputs, 4 logic spark outputs, same tach inputs as the MS, two pwm outputs and a few i/o. That would be a killer product, specially for the 4 cyl crowd.
I built one: http://forum.jbperf.com/viewtopic.php?f ... t=20#p3706. But the response has been underwhelming and I did not pursue that further. People want an MS3 based product (or think they need to) and there is no way to do the same thing with what is available (the MS3-Pro module is too big). And there seems to be no interest in granting a license to build one (at least not to me).

Jean
subwoofer
Super MS/Extra'er

Who loves Microsquirt ?

Post by subwoofer »

The question is whether the 4-cylinder version would be significantly cheaper than the MS3 Pro, and if the resulting product would be much smaller. For what it does, the MS3 pro compares favorably with the shrunk and restricted versions of the competition.

I'm not that advanced a user, but I use a lot of the MS3-only features, the ruggedized MS2 would not be an option.
Joachim
1974 Jensen-Healey
1990 VW Caravelle Syncro - running MS3+X
2014 Ford Fiesta EcoBoost
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Post by jsmcortina »

subwoofer wrote:The question is whether the 4-cylinder version would be significantly cheaper than the MS3 Pro.
I like that idea in concept too, but I think you have identified the main problem, it might end up being 90% the same and basically the same cost, so in the end it wouldn't make a lot of sense to sell at a lower price.

James
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

My Success story: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 04&t=34277
MSEXTRA documentation at: http://www.msextra.com/doc/index.html
New users, please read the "Forum Help Page".