replacement connector for DB37

A general forum and a place for initial or prospective users. See Manuals/Documentation
Click here to enter
Contact a Forum Administrator
If unsure where to post, post in this sub-forum.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

Vanhoe
Experienced MS/Extra'er

replacement connector for DB37

Post by Vanhoe »

Hello

I was wondering that anybody has found a better connector or a better connector housing on the DB 37
for MS board.
I'm not so found on this type for competition use and every time a take the connector in my hands I can't seem te be pleased
with it. For internal use ok but I would place the board in a larger box and use beter external connectors
military stuf for example
kjones6039
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: replacement connector for DB37

Post by kjones6039 »

Vanhoe wrote:Hello

I was wondering that anybody has found a better connector or a better connector housing on the DB 37
for MS board.
I'm not so found on this type for competition use and every time a take the connector in my hands I can't seem te be pleased
with it. For internal use ok but I would place the board in a larger box and use beter external connectors
military stuf for example
This has been discussed many times here and there are about as many alternatives as there are posts on the subject. FWIW, I have used the same connector on my race car for ~7 years without a connector related failure. Of the solutions I have seen here on the forum, I would opt to put the MS into my choice of oem cases and wire it directly from the board to the case connector. If you search the forum you will find many other solutions!

Ken
1979 Corvette - 383 CID SBC w/ Holley Pro-Jection 900 CFM TBI, 4-85 lb lo-z injectors & Walbro 255 pump
MS2 v3 w/extra 3.4.2 Release
36-1, Delphi LS2/7 coils in wasted spark, driven by v2.0 logic board from JBPerformance
Spartan Lambda Sensor from 14point7
TinyIOX from JBPerformance
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Post by jsmcortina »

for MS board.
Try the Microsquirt. Better connector, smaller package AND cheaper.

James
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

My Success story: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 04&t=34277
MSEXTRA documentation at: http://www.msextra.com/doc/index.html
New users, please read the "Forum Help Page".
racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by racingmini_mtl »

jsmcortina wrote:

for MS board.
Try the Microsquirt. Better connector, smaller package AND cheaper.

James
Makes sure that fits your needs though because there are fewer I/Os and you can't modify it or add circuits. So some of the extra features are not available.

Jean
jbperf.com Main site . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . jbperf.com Forum
Vanhoe
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by Vanhoe »

I was looking already for that microsquirt

Most of the time on 4 cilinder engines I'm using only VR and TPS wasted spark.
When using high imp injectors and dis coil with internal driver it should do fine.

On the other side I have my MS 1 sitting here an would like to use it with better connector.

Ivan
DaveEFI
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by DaveEFI »

To change the connector on the PCB is fraught with danger. The danger of damaging the PCB when you remove the old one. And that PCB is specifically made for that connector - to use a different one will involve tails from it to the PCB. Adding another possible source of faults.

If you don't like the supplied shell for the harness connector, there are many alternatives from a variety of suppliers like DigiKey.

The D connector is used extensively in industry and broadcasting. Where cost isn't a factor. But performance is. True it isn't splash proof - but then neither is an MS1 case. If you really need a splash proof unit, you'll need to pay more than an MS1 costs.
Rover SD1 3.5 EFI
MS2 V3
EDIS
Tech Edge O2
London UK.
Vanhoe
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by Vanhoe »

I would already be happy with a better shell for the connector
Can you show me an example please of those stronger ones?

Thanks

On the other hand I was thinking on putting the MS board in a larger housing and
using the DB 37 connector as internal one and wiring to a better external connector
or multiple connectors to seperate power feed and sensor signals.
Hey_Allen
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Hey_Allen »

I'm working on using an Ampseal connector much like the Microsquirt uses, but pigtailing from my MS2 over to it.

Currently thinking of putting it in a slightly larger enclosure and trying my luck in the engine bay, but Im not sure that I want to dare the gremlins of EMI to play with me quite that boldly. :D
Josh
-greasy fingered tinkerer
knightrous
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by knightrous »

I'd be happy with a good old Tyco MultiLock connector like a lot of factory ECU's use and what DIYAuto offer for the DIYPNP. A lot of them break down into seperate plug sizes which would be good for splitting your wiring into dedicated groups, one for I/O, one for Injectors/Spark, one for Power/Grounds, one for accessories.
'89 Toyota MR2 AW11 - 1MZFE 3L V6 - Need to finish car before ecu :(
'89 Toyota MR2 AW11 - 16V 4AGZE - DIYPNP 1.5v
'90 Toyota MR2 SW20 - 1MZFE 3L V6 - MS3X