Injectors Stopped Firing

A general forum and a place for initial or prospective users. See Manuals/Documentation
Click here to enter
Contact a Forum Administrator
If unsure where to post, post in this sub-forum.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

fsmlittler
MS/Extra Newbie

Injectors Stopped Firing

Post by fsmlittler »

Ive been using Microsquirt for a while with no problems then today whilst doing a lot of stop start driving the engine started to run really badly and wouldn't pick up clenly at all. When I tried it later (after hving charged the battery) it seemed fine but after a few more stop starts it refusd to pick up cleanly and I had real difficulty getting up a slope without constantly 'blipping' the throttle and slipping the clutch.
I turned it off and left it for a while but now it completely refuses to start and when I checked the plugs it seemed like it wasn't fuelling-it does spark though. When I took one of the injector plugs off it didn't seem to have power when cranking.
I'm really confused why it was intermittently running so badly and now won't go at all.
I'm running Edis and its a full race Hillman Imp engine.
billr
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: Injectors Stopped Firing

Post by billr »

"When I took one of the injector plugs off it didn't seem to have power when cranking."

Please clarify that: does that mean no 12V power to the injectors, or no grounding pulses from the MS to "power on" the injectors?
fsmlittler
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by fsmlittler »

With a meter measuring DC across the two pins of the injector plug there was no power pulsing whilst we cranked the car over but I can't be sure whether that is a lack of +ve 12v or whether the ECU isn't sending the earth pulses to fire them.

I had the problem ealrier on in the day where it wouldn't run cleanly but I suspected the battery so put it back on tricklecharge and when I tried again later it seemed to have cured the problem. I do wonder whether its battery related and a quick check showed 12.4v which seemed a little low with no load.

Hasn't been a problem before so baffled.
billr
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by billr »

"but I can't be sure whether that is a lack of +ve 12v or whether the ECU isn't sending the earth pulses to fire them."

Do you need instruction on how to do that? That's the first thing to determine, it will tell whether the problem is likely to be in the MS hardware/programming or out in your wiring.
fsmlittler
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by fsmlittler »

Think I can manage that on my own!
kjones6039
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by kjones6039 »

With a meter measuring DC across the two pins of the injector plug there was no power pulsing
FWIW, I prefer to use a 12v test light for this. It is easier to visualize the injector activity than trying to discern a change in voltage on a meter.

Ken
1979 Corvette - 383 CID SBC w/ Holley Pro-Jection 900 CFM TBI, 4-85 lb lo-z injectors & Walbro 255 pump
MS2 v3 w/extra 3.4.2 Release
36-1, Delphi LS2/7 coils in wasted spark, driven by v2.0 logic board from JBPerformance
Spartan Lambda Sensor from 14point7
TinyIOX from JBPerformance
fsmlittler
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by fsmlittler »

After recharging the battery I tried the car again the next day and it fired first time. Tried the car with the battery deliberately dischrged a bit and it started fine but when warm it backfires and the AF guage is all over the place.

Cant log it until the weekend but open to any ideas as it's been set up on the rolling road and used for competition with no problems until now.

Is Microsquirt particularly voltage sensitive? Could it be faulty Lambda Sensor
elutionsdesign
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by elutionsdesign »

Misfires will make the lambda gauge go all over the place, it sounds like you need to go through your wiring very carefully. I wouldn't believe the controller itself is especially sensitive to voltage, consider that during cold cranking its probably barely getting 7 volts and it starts.
Graduate of EFI University.

I build, repair, install and tune Megasquirt systems in North Dakota and beyond!
billr
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by billr »

:msq: