New to MegaSquirt, '89 Subaru XT6

A general forum and a place for initial or prospective users. See Manuals/Documentation
Click here to enter
Contact a Forum Administrator
If unsure where to post, post in this sub-forum.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

Caboobaroo
MS/Extra Newbie

New to MegaSquirt, '89 Subaru XT6

Post by Caboobaroo »

Hello everyone. I have started to collect parts to run the MS2 on my 1989 Subaru XT6 and figure now would be a good time to post. I've been lurking for a year or so, searching out information and have gotten a pretty good understanding. I am also a professional Subaru mechanic so turning a wrench isn't a new thing to me.

I knew the guy who had done a MS swap on his '87 RX (posted on DIYAutotune's sight) and I know he was having some tuning issues with using the stock distributor, like this other post that recently has been started.
http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 94&t=52871

I've decided to ditch the factory distributor for the time being and run a Ford EDIS6 which I have gotten from a local wrecking yard. Also, looking at the factory service manual for the car, the IAC appears to be a PWM as well.

I know I have questions but I need to get the MS2 kit first so I can sort out how it needs to be built. Already have the Stim kit built and bought a new soldering iron and quality solder.

I'm excited to get it together and working in the car. I think my wife is a little tired of hearing about it :roll: :lol:
Subaru_EA82_4EAT_AWD
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Re: New to MegaSquirt, '89 Subaru XT6

Post by Subaru_EA82_4EAT_AWD »

What are you going to use for a CAS?

I think the ER27 have shorter inner slots than the EA82, I bet one of the existing Nissan decoders would work already...
The ER's have the benefit of having a proper IAC valve as you said.

What I am trying to find out is how MS(3) handles the 360 + 4 slot wheel, I have heard it only uses the 360 at cranking but I haven't been blessed with a proper explanation yet. If anyone can help with that I would be very greatful...

I think we should work together on this :)
Want a neat way to Check & Set Ignition timing AND CRANK the motor at the same time BY YOURSELF?
A little thing I made up... https://youtu.be/PajlPNF5mmQ
Caboobaroo
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Caboobaroo »

I plan on using the DIYauto tune 36 tooth 6 3/4" wheel mounted to an aluminum crank pulley I'm having made.

From what I understand, the ECU uses the large slots on the CAS for cylinder detection (the longer slot being cylinder #1) and uses the 360 slots for the ignition advance/retard. I found the Nissan VG30 distributors use the same CAS wheel as the ER27 but I would like to use the EDIS system over the stock distributor for the ignition. I would like to use the CAS system with a different wheel to act as a cam sensor but that will be later down the road.

I should be ordering my kit this week once I have nailed down what I'm going to need on top of the kit.
Caboobaroo
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Caboobaroo »

I just wanted to add that I received my package from DIYautotune and will start assembling it this week. I have also picked up an Innovative LM1 wideband O2 system that I plan to use as well. :yeah!: