1st Tooth position

A general forum and a place for initial or prospective users. See Manuals/Documentation
Click here to enter
Contact a Forum Administrator
If unsure where to post, post in this sub-forum.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

smalcol
Helpful MS/Extra'er

1st Tooth position

Post by smalcol »

Hi all,
Trying to determine the correct setting for my first tooth location. I am using a BMW M62 V8 engine with a 60-2 wheel on the flywheel. The sensor pokes through the bellhousing, I recorded a video of the teeth passing this point.

So, I started at TDC and turned the motor by hand counter clockwise. Counting the gaps, I get 12, including the missing two teeth. If I am understanding this each tooth or gap is 6 degrees and my setting should be 72 degress BTDC. Does that seem right?

Thanks in advance,
Seth
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: 1st Tooth position

Post by Matt Cramer »

That sounds about right - try putting that in, disconnecting the injectors, and using a timing light to fine tune the angle.
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
smalcol
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by smalcol »

Thanks, will do. I've never used a timing light with COP's. They sit right on top of the sparkplug in the head, is the signal from my coil driver enough to trigger the inductive light?
elutionsdesign
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by elutionsdesign »

I doubt it, they are used to triggering off of tens of thousands of volts.

You need a plug wire, just one, pull the COP from #1 cylinder and connect the wire from the COP to the plug. Now put your inductive timing light on that wire. Watch where you lay the COP as you don't want the path of least resistance to be anywhere but the plug wire.
Graduate of EFI University.

I build, repair, install and tune Megasquirt systems in North Dakota and beyond!
grom_e30
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by grom_e30 »

funnily enough my cheap timing light fires correctly if i put it round the 2 small wires (power and switch ground) on the denso cop my bike runs.
1990 bmw 320i daily driver with m20b25 ms3 sequential fuel, 380cc injectors, d585 coil near plug, home made cam sync, launch control, fan control, vss, homebrew egt logging what's next????
e30bavarian
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by e30bavarian »

smalcol wrote:Thanks, will do. I've never used a timing light with COP's. They sit right on top of the sparkplug in the head, is the signal from my coil driver enough to trigger the inductive light?
Wondering did this work for you. Im troubleshooting mine right now...as you know we have the same engine and 60-2 wheel :) only difference is MS2for me.

I already check for spark and had wasted spark C and B wired wrong :( but now I want to double check timing... we are sure the angle is infact 72 degree? for MS2 and MS3 is it setup the same? does the VR count after the 2 missing tooth or before?
grom_e30
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by grom_e30 »

the tooth1# is worked out the same between ms2 and ms3
1990 bmw 320i daily driver with m20b25 ms3 sequential fuel, 380cc injectors, d585 coil near plug, home made cam sync, launch control, fan control, vss, homebrew egt logging what's next????