Renault 5 turbo EFI conversion on MS1

A general forum and a place for initial or prospective users. See Manuals/Documentation
Click here to enter
Contact a Forum Administrator
If unsure where to post, post in this sub-forum.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

dvr
MS/Extra Newbie

Renault 5 turbo EFI conversion on MS1

Post by dvr »

Hy guys,I have a Renault 5 1.4 turbo engine with carb,I want to make a conversion on injection on it with individual throttle bodies,custom plenum for it and I want to use Megasquirt 1 V2.2 for it because I don't want to change the ignition system,it is a good one wich I have and I want to keep it,so I want to use the Ms1 v2.2 just for controll the fuel and maybe the boost,it is possible?
Thank's guys in advance and any advice is welcomed
tutuur
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Re: Renault 5 turbo EFI conversion on MS1

Post by tutuur »

Why go to so much hassle for so little result. The biggest gain you'll get will be by making the ignition controlable!
Individual throttle bodies are way too farfetched, especially on a turbo engine.

Imho it would be better to convert to efi completely and just use a comon plenum with a single throttle body!
dvr
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by dvr »

Hy mate,thank's for the reply. So,you are saying that if I don't tune the ignition also it doesn't worth to make the EFI conversion or the results will not be maximum wich it could be? About the ITB's,you say that doesen't worth to put them,just use a single throttle body? I have thinked that with the ITB's the engine will be more responsive and a little bit more agressive,that's the reason why I whant the ITB's.....
AndrewRX
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by AndrewRX »

Collectively, ITBs have more circumference which can give rise to greater idle and off-idle leakage issues, though admittedly it's not the end of the world. It seems to me that small throttle changes also result in large overall area changes so they can be a real handful to sort for low-speed (parking lots, etc). Bringing over the progressive linkage arrangement from the donor vehicle is a must at the very least. They look cool, but are of limited value on a street application.

# of ITB - 6
Diameter - 1.125"
Circumference - 21.21"
Throttle Area - 5.964" ^2

# of TB - 1
Diameter - 2.755"
Circumference - 8.66"
Throttle Area- 5.961"^2
dvr
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by dvr »

Thank's Andrew fro replying,so it doesn't worth the effort to put ITB's on this engine,it wont make any difference...?What throttle body diameter are you guys recomand for this Renault engines?A 60mm throttle body will be ok?
Also,I want to know if with MS1 V2.2 it will work the engine well if I controll ONLY the fuel,NOT the ignition?I will get a little more power with injection at the same boost pressure then with the carb or not so much difference?