Use a Rasp. pi to output dash visuals?

A general forum and a place for initial or prospective users. See Manuals/Documentation
Click here to enter
Contact a Forum Administrator
If unsure where to post, post in this sub-forum.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

MostHated
MS/Extra Newbie

Use a Rasp. pi to output dash visuals?

Post by MostHated »

I just got my DIYPNP MS2 system the other day and have been trying to get my info in order, seeing that you can connect via PC to the MS2, can it be done via a linux based raspberry pi, and then have the pi output to a tablet or some other visual device (phone, or something) to have nice visual gauges and such? I have not seen much on what types of options are available for digital gauges. Something like the Lexus LFA dash would be amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haF4mTntX2s
Trev16v
Master MS/Extra'er

Re: Use a Rasp. pi to output dash visuals?

Post by Trev16v »

How about trying out Android? See my signature for one option :)
Golf MK2 G60 Syncro with 16VG60 on MSNS-E

MSDroid :: MegaSquirt tuning on Android

Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

TunerStudio will run on Linux, so it could be used on various in car computers. I don't think we used a Raspberry Pi specifically, but we did a similar thing for the instrument cluster on our 240SX land speed racing car.
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
weeblebiker
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by weeblebiker »

there have been advances this year on raspberry pi that make this worth looking into again.
the pi can be stably overclocked to 1GHz
the chip mfr released the code so hardware video acceleration drivers could be written, which have been done and make the graphics much faster/smoother
oracle authorized a pi based java and is included in current releases which is much faster than the java emulator type fixes previously used.

it may be able to run full ts adequately
i'm working on it but I am not a programmer.
v2.2 box, ms2, dual wheel, sequential ignition, staged injection, boost control, maf
'87 VW scirocco, 2L16V, TD0-14T turbo, itbs
beefeater
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by beefeater »

Hi,

I'm already using a couple of RPI's in my project (one as a media server, the other as a frontend / driver for an LCD Screen).

I've looked at TunerStudio on the ARM chipset... It looks doable but I think there are some stability / performance issues at the moment with the RPi. TunerStudio is Java based from memory.

Given the choice, I'd pick a BeagleBone Black over the RPi for this... Video performance isn't as good, but you get a 1GHz (newer) ARM chip, more RAM, a heck of a lot more GPIO, etc. 2D (bitmap) based gauge display shouldn't need a lot of GPU power, especially at the resolutions likely to be used in-car.

I'm hoping to write a minimal interface for either USB or CAN that can be used for datalogging / gauge display etc. I'm already sending GPS info, weather conditions etc. back to my server on a regular basis -- sending some of the MS stuff back there would be great!

Will be a long while until I get to this though....

Cheers.
mangocats
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by mangocats »

I'm on the fence between trying to run TS on a Pi2, or something like this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... -_-Product Intel NUC NUC5i3RYK

The Pi2 is certainly cheaper, but I'd rather not be mucking around with sluggish response times and flaky software update issues.

Anybody here have experience "on both sides" of this?