Is this wiring correct? MS2 V3 direct coil drive

A general forum and a place for initial or prospective users. See Manuals/Documentation
Click here to enter
Contact a Forum Administrator
If unsure where to post, post in this sub-forum.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

Ledfut
MS/Extra Newbie

Is this wiring correct? MS2 V3 direct coil drive

Post by Ledfut »

Hey,

This will be my first Megasquirt install.

I've fitted a 24v Cosworth V6 into my 2.8i Capri and I've just got my MS2 V3 for it(pre built with firmware installed) and first fit wired it as below. I was wondering if this was all ok and if I have to do anything through tunestudio before I'm able to plug the unit in and start the engine, thanks.
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: Is this wiring correct? MS2 V3 direct coil drive

Post by Matt Cramer »

Do you have a pinout for that coil pack?

What pins did the MS have its coil drivers installed on?
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Post by jsmcortina »

The coilpack looks like a regular EDIS6 type.

Be sure to use the spark test mode to check the function of the coils before trying to start the engine.

Also, re-check the "Quickstart guide" in the manual.

James
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

My Success story: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 04&t=34277
MSEXTRA documentation at: http://www.msextra.com/doc/index.html
New users, please read the "Forum Help Page".
Ledfut
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Ledfut »

Thanks or the responses;

Matt - Found this pic of pinout for the coil pack(by the looks of it I currently have 1 and 3 wired around the wrong way), and I didn't build the MS unit so I don't know what pins the coil drivers are installed on, I just have three holes in the case with three wires coming out labelled A, B and C.

James - It is the standard EDIS coil pack that came with the engine 2.9i 24v Cosworth V6 out of a Ford Scorpio. I'll check out the spark test mode.

I've now added a main relay and with the ignition on the fuel pump pressurises the system and cuts, the TPS responds and I've calibrated it. The coolant and air temp gauges are also reading a value. When turning the engine over I don't get any RPM response though, do I need to do any calibration for this as I have checked the crank sensor and wiring and all seems fine?

I also checked the plugs and they aren't sparking yet.

Thanks again
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Post by jsmcortina »

Unless you get RPM, nothing else is going to happen.

Start trying the tooth logger to see if any signal is coming in.
See here: http://www.msextra.com/doc/ms2extra/MS2 ... ogger.html

James
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

My Success story: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 04&t=34277
MSEXTRA documentation at: http://www.msextra.com/doc/index.html
New users, please read the "Forum Help Page".
Ledfut
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Ledfut »

Had a quick play today, used the trigger logger but on turn over nothing happened, so I reversed the crank sensor wires and on the next turn over noticed a single blue spike then nothing, and nothing on any of the subsequent turn overs. Any ideas on this?

Also my ECU randomly goes offline, power to the unit is fine so I assume this is the usb to serial cable I'm using(currently using a Prolific)?
Rick Finsta
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by Rick Finsta »

IMHO throw that Prolific chipset adapter into the trash and pick up one of the FTDI units. I had problems with comms for over a year and almost abandoned this project and went back to my caveman technology Pro-Systems 4150 before I figured out that the USB to Serial was the biggest problem I had.
Ledfut
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Ledfut »

Got Ftdi cable which has sorted the dropping out problem, just working my way through the software manual now with the unit out of the car in the hopes that when I get it back in(Thursday maybe) I'll be a little closer to start up.
Ledfut
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Ledfut »

Still can't seem to get a signal from the crank sensor so I've taken some voltage readings as follows:

With everything connected and ignition on I'm getting 2.18v at pin 24 of the ECU and 0v at pin 2.

On turnover I get 0.01v at pin 2 although measuring closer to the sensor output I get 0.04v.

When I disconnect the output of the sensor(that goes to pin 2 of the ecu) the voltage at pin 24 goes up to 4.17v and the output of the sensor also reads 4.17v. When turned over this output goes up to 4.19v(while still disconnect from pin 2 of the ecu).

If I reverse the sensor wires exactly the same happens as above.

Any ideas on this?
mickeymarrows
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by mickeymarrows »

Is the loom just as it came out of the Scorpio? Have you altered the wiring between the ecu and the crank sensor?
'82 Golf GTI ABF 16v MS2 Extra sequential COP
'77 Scirocco G60 MS2 Extra sequential
Ledfut
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Ledfut »

I don't have the ecu or loom for the cosworth engine, I only had engine harness which had deteriorated and broken down so I built a complete new one harness. This harness simply took all the engine sensors and bought them to one large plug. I've done away with the plug and wired direct to the new megasquirt ecu.

I did get an oscilloscope on the megasquirt unit tach in and out with the following results(see below pic). Adjusting pots R52 and R56 didn't seem to have any effect though. In Tune studio I just get Empty read.
mickeymarrows
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by mickeymarrows »

OK.. its good that you have a scope.. makes life easier!

Did you use a shielded cable between the sensor and the ECU? Signal seems noisy...

Only question would be if you have connected the sensor to 5v? rather than one going to Tachin and the other to sensor ground..
'82 Golf GTI ABF 16v MS2 Extra sequential COP
'77 Scirocco G60 MS2 Extra sequential
steve4179
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by steve4179 »

Are you using the EDIS unit to fire the coil?