Newbie question about creating maps

A general forum and a place for initial or prospective users. See Manuals/Documentation
Click here to enter
Contact a Forum Administrator
If unsure where to post, post in this sub-forum.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

96halx
MS/Extra Newbie

Newbie question about creating maps

Post by 96halx »

Hey y'all, new guy here, trying to learn as much as I can as quick as I can :RTFM:.

The project I'm working on is converting an 83 Honda Nighthawk 650 to fuel injection, using throttle bodies and injectors from an 02 GSXR 600. Then I'm planning on bolting up a turbo after I get the tuning how-to down pat.

I have a question:

I was wondering if there is any way to start making basemaps for fuel, spark etc. before I actually have any of the megasquirt hardware. Only reason I ask is because I have more time than money at the moment, so it'd be nice to use some time to get some of the basics filled in while waiting to scrape some money together...
firyembers
MS/Extra Newbie

Re: Newbie question about creating maps

Post by firyembers »

In a similar boat myself,although i have the hardware and no time to implement.

Just a suggestion look around see if you can find a map for a similar engine size,550,650,750

It is most unlikely you will find an exact what you want so expand your horizons to get something closish learn and bring into your scope of engine management when you have the hardware

best of
DaveEFI
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by DaveEFI »

Tuner Studio will create a base map based on engine size, power output, max torque, injector flow, etc.

It does seem at first using a map from a similar engine may speed things up - but it very rarely does. It is better to go through all the parameters yourself using the guides than to rely on someone else having done it correctly for your exact installation.

It's really not difficult to get an engine running reasonably well from scratch, once the hardware side is sorted. What does take the time is getting it perfect - specially as regards economy.

Basically, when someone fits MS, it is rarely to a bog standard engine. So unless you can find one from an engine identical in every respect to yours, it is unlikely to be perfect.
Rover SD1 3.5 EFI
MS2 V3
EDIS
Tech Edge O2
London UK.
R100RT
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by R100RT »

96halx wrote:Hey y'all, new guy here, trying to learn as much as I can as quick as I can :RTFM:.

The project I'm working on is converting an 83 Honda Nighthawk 650 to fuel injection, using throttle bodies and injectors from an 02 GSXR 600. Then I'm planning on bolting up a turbo after I get the tuning how-to down pat.

I have a question:

I was wondering if there is any way to start making basemaps for fuel, spark etc. before I actually have any of the megasquirt hardware. Only reason I ask is because I have more time than money at the moment, so it'd be nice to use some time to get some of the basics filled in while waiting to scrape some money together...
If you have the time, I'd suggest proving the crank (and cam if applicable) signals that you'll be relying on for a solid sync and platform from which to build your project success from. If you read many of the posts here, the challenges can relate to various forms of poor or lost sync and which are significantly more challenging to troubleshoot and tinker with for a mobile motorbike. To do this, install the actual parts being entertained to a drill press or router table such that they can be spun up in similar fashion to being on an engine. Have your MicroSquirt (or other) connections made via actual rough harness and check your results on the paid subscription to Tuner Studio - for composite tooth and trigger logging and such. You can confirm the robustness and behaviour of this key/ critical aspect of the project in the comfort of your workshop and deal with rationally and quickly should tinkering be required. For that matter you can connect to your TPS, and other items to confirm their settings too.
Once the bike is running, the base map data is adequate to get running and you'll never look back from that point. You can carry a tunning/ logging lap top on the bike (in a nap sack for instance, never mount her over the fuel tank where you can peck at keys as you motor along - wait, I did that lol)
Good luck,

Lorne
1983 BMW R100RT Motorbike
Turbocharged - Water/Meth
Sequential Ignition & Fuel
"Perky Sleeper" that excites bike enthusiasts once discovered (or being passed)
Newest project - 1995 BMW K75 is V3 Microsquirt, "Turbocharger - Of Course"