Hi Guys, New here. Need some help

A general forum and a place for initial or prospective users. See Manuals/Documentation
Click here to enter
Contact a Forum Administrator
If unsure where to post, post in this sub-forum.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

Fenix22
MS/Extra Newbie

Hi Guys, New here. Need some help

Post by Fenix22 »

Hey guys, I'm new here and am weighing my options between stand-alone engine management system. I have a 2000 Mitsubishi Eclipse (3.0L 6G72 Stock), engine swapped with the 6G75 3.8L v6 Non-Mivec from an 05 Galant, with a custom turbo setup using a Precision 6176E turbo (6262 Soon hopefully). I'm still using stock ECM and have been really limited for tuning options. I want to get away from the MAF and go Speed Density, have boost by gear control, electronic boost control, and launch control (aka studder box).

My biggest question is, exactly what do I need to purchase to have a 100% Stand-Alone. I want to pull my engine harness out and build a new harness and redo my entire setup the way I want it.
I'm just really confused on what has to be bought to get started with this. Thanks for any help

The sensors I have
75 Mitsu Crank Sensor
75 Mitsu Cam Sensor
75 Mitsu Coil Packs (x6)
72 Mitsu Speedometer Sensor
72 Mitsu Backup Sensor
PTE 550cc Fuel Injectors (x6) Low Impedance
Qx45 Throttle Body TPS Sensor
Qx45 Throttle Body IAC Control
GM Intake Temp Sensor
75 Mitsu Coolant Temp Sensor (Or GM, whichever is easier)
Walbro 255LPH
AEM Wideband Sensor
Evo 8 MAP Sensor
75 Mitsu Knock Sensor
--Fenix Eclipse Build Thread--
2000 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT - Turbocharged 6G75 Swapped
1992 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX - 4G63 AWD Turbocharged Daily Driver
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: Hi Guys, New here. Need some help

Post by Matt Cramer »

I have not been able to determine what trigger pattern this engine uses - do you have any information about it? Worst case is, you'll need to add an aftermarket crank trigger.

The good news is the only ECU driven gauge in this car is the tach - some later cars can be a real pain to make work with stock gauges and other body electronics.

Is this one using a manual or automatic transmission?

Any features you're looking for beyond fuel and ignition control?
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
Fenix22
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Fenix22 »

I have two options for OEM Crank wheels. One is a 3 tooth, the other is a 32 tooth I think. I'll post pictures in a bit. I'll also post my cam wheel.
My primary goals are to sell my MAF setup and go full speed density. Setup launch control. Control boost per gear, 2psi first, 10psi 2nd,16psi 3rd and so on. Electronic boost control will come with that I suppose. Then standard controls over IAC with the Qx45 throttle body

I'm not really concerned about other body controls. I'll rewire then manually and make them work how I want. I would like to use the factory tach & speedometer. Maybe I can just find a way to use the stock tach. Not looking for any fancy features like Theft Prevention or an Alarm. Would be nice to have an output for A/C and idle-up for Power Steering though.

Here is the Crank on the left and the Cam on the right. I also have a 3-blade crank sensor that's on my car, can't take a pic of it but here's a link to what it looks like.
http://s3.amazonaws.com/f01.justanswer. ... -00169.jpg
BigLou240sx
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by BigLou240sx »

Fenix22 wrote:Control boost per gear, 2psi first, 10psi 2nd,16psi 3rd and so on. Electronic boost control will come with that I suppose.
Does your wastegate only have a 2 psi spring installed? Electronic boost control can only regulate down to the base pressure spring rating
1990 Nissan 240sx / SOHC KA-T / DIYPNP
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

Boost by gear will require an MS3.

The crank / cam trigger setup in that picture is not supported, but if you can swap to the earlier 3 blade crank / 4 blade cam setup, you can use 6G72 spark mode no problem.
Fenix22
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Fenix22 »

BigLou240sx wrote:
Fenix22 wrote:Control boost per gear, 2psi first, 10psi 2nd,16psi 3rd and so on. Electronic boost control will come with that I suppose.
Does your wastegate only have a 2 psi spring installed? Electronic boost control can only regulate down to the base pressure spring rating
Ooops, I knew that :o You're right, I'm running a 8psi spring so I wouldn't be able to go that low without changing springs, but then I wouldn't be able to go that high. Thanks for reminding me lol

Matt Cramer wrote:Boost by gear will require an MS3.

The crank / cam trigger setup in that picture is not supported, but if you can swap to the earlier 3 blade crank / 4 blade cam setup, you can use 6G72 spark mode no problem.
So MS3 is the one that I'll be looking at, assuming it has a cam/crank combo that is compatible to run my engine. Would I need just the MS3 box & wiring harness or is there more to go with it?

I'm using the crank 3blade now so I could run my stock ecm. Which 4-blade cam is compatible with MS? I've been searching & this is what I've found so far. Think the top one is from a 380 magna (might not even be able to get one), and the bottom is from Montero. I'm not 100% that either will be a direct fit for my engine either, although I believe they should be.
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

I'd also get a JimStim to bench test it if you're building it from a kit.

The trigger at the bottom is the one the code is set up for.
Fenix22
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Fenix22 »

Going to get my hands on this cam wheel & cam sensor in a few days so I can be prepared for this.

I assume the common tuning software for MS3 is TunerStudio & datalogger MegaLogViewer.

I'm going to dive deeper into MS3 over the next week or so and see what all I can learn. Hopefully I can answer most of my questions just searching lol. Thanks for the help thus far guys.
BigLou240sx
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by BigLou240sx »

Fenix22 wrote:I assume the common tuning software for MS3 is TunerStudio & datalogger MegaLogViewer.
You are mostly correct - although Tuner Studio actually performs the datalogging, Megalogviewer is the means to view the logs and run analysis.
1990 Nissan 240sx / SOHC KA-T / DIYPNP
Fenix22
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Fenix22 »

Got the Cam Gear (with trigger wheel) and cam sensor, looks like it fits on my engine perfect so I think that'll take care of the crank & cam signal.
Now I'm trying to figure out what to do about alternator control. I have a 4-wire alternator that is controlled by my ECU (not exactly sure how but I have the wiring diagram). Is this something built into MS3 or do I need another component to control alternator?

I've been reading the manual slowly.. trying to grasp all I can before dumping the money for MS3
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

The MS3 can control an alternator - but you'll first need to figure out how the stock ECU controlled it.