Jimstim Jumpers

A general forum and a place for initial or prospective users. See Manuals/Documentation
Click here to enter
Contact a Forum Administrator
If unsure where to post, post in this sub-forum.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

mchenso
MS/Extra Newbie

Jimstim Jumpers

Post by mchenso »

I am new here, and I have assembled my jimstim correctly and i am confused about the jumper set up i need to use. I know this is probably a pretty basic question for many of you, but can someone please tell me what jumpers i need to connect in order to get proper readings on Tunerstudio? My set up will be a edis4 reading a 36-1 toothed wheel.

So far if i understand correctly, i need to jump the two 5v pull ups, the bottom two on the primary tach header, and the O2 WB 2 pin header.
Where i get confused is what i need to connect to the 10 pin header in order to see the led light up for the ignition and injection banks.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
elutionsdesign
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: Jimstim Jumpers

Post by elutionsdesign »

So far if i understand correctly, i need to jump the two 5v pull ups, the bottom two on the primary tach header, and the O2 WB 2 pin header.
Where i get confused is what i need to connect to the 10 pin header in order to see the led light up for the ignition and injection banks.
You need only jump the 5V on the primary, if you do the secondary also it won't matter but its not needed as you're not running a cam signal. The programmable DIP should have all the switches in the off position. Injector leds are built in, no jumpers required. Assuming you're bringing the ignition out on pin 36 you'll want to jumper the ign pin in the long row of pins to any of the top 6 pins in the 10 pin row. Each of the top six pins correspond to an led just to the right of the header.
Graduate of EFI University.

I build, repair, install and tune Megasquirt systems in North Dakota and beyond!
mchenso
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by mchenso »

thanks! ill try that out
mchenso
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by mchenso »

Okay, i am still having trouble with my jimstim.
On my attached picture, i marked in blue where my jumpers are. From what i understand, this is all i need to be able to get the injector leds to light up according to the Tach, and have ignition one firing as well.
However, i do not get any LED's to light up with these connections.
I have tested my primary tach by running it and a 12 volt source to one of the IAC Leds'
What is wrong with my setup? Could there be something wrong with my board?
As yall can see, this is not my forte and i am trying to learn all of this.

Ollie8974
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by Ollie8974 »

The Wheel mode selector is set wrong.

http://jbperf.com/JimStim/JimStim_v2_0_ ... .html#tach

Set the DIP Switches like this for a 36-1 Trigger Wheel.
DaveEFI
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by DaveEFI »

Think the OP says he's using EDIS?
Rover SD1 3.5 EFI
MS2 V3
EDIS
Tech Edge O2
London UK.
elutionsdesign
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by elutionsdesign »

The "ON" toggle switch in your photo is straight up and down, shouldn't it be all the way to ON? You do have the stim connected to a Megasquirt with supporting circuitry for your application?

I build, repair, install and tune Megasquirt systems in North Dakota and beyond!
mchenso
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by mchenso »

By the "ON" toggle switch, do you mean the on off power switch? If so, I turned the "ON" toggle switch off when i took the picture. Before i took the picture i had it switched to on and the power LED was lit.
I do have a MS2 v3 to plug this jimstim into. I have hooked them up before, and i get a reading on all of the gauges except for RPM and Wideband O2. I set up my MS2 for a hall sensor since i will be using EDIS
racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by racingmini_mtl »

Try to use the 12V pull up instead of the 5V.

Jean
jbperf.com Main site . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . jbperf.com Forum
mchenso
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by mchenso »

Wouldn't the 12 volt pull up burn out the red led's?
racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by racingmini_mtl »

I meant the jumper for the tach input, not on the output side. Setting it for 5V is likely not high enough to trigger the input circuit.

Jean
jbperf.com Main site . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . jbperf.com Forum
mchenso
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by mchenso »

Oh okay, I understand. Do I need both 12 volt pull ups?
Also, I'm just curious, when would the 5v pull up be adequate?
racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by racingmini_mtl »

There are different ones where 5V is adequate (the VR circuit being one when the pots are correctly adjusted) but the standard MS opto input needs more current for a reliable trigger than the JimStim can provide with a 5V pull up.

Jean
mchenso
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by mchenso »

when i jumped the 12 volt pull ups, i got the fuel pump light and injector lights to light up for split seconds while i adjust the RPM C knob. However because they will not stay on, this makes me think maybe i have a short on the board somewhere?
mchenso
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by mchenso »

From messing with it a bit more, the 5 volt pull ups and the 12 volt pull ups do the same thing.
I do not get the first led to light up when its jumpered to ign.
However, when i jumper led 1 to the tach pin on the long row of pins, i can see the tach signal.
elutionsdesign
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by elutionsdesign »

You're making progress, which hall input circuit did you build on the board? Did you use a +12V pullup on the board as well?

mchenso
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by mchenso »

It turns out that it is wired up correctly, I had just set tuner studio to 36-1 wheel instead of edis. As soon as I switched it, everything read correctly. Thanks for the help!