Newbie - Mustang 5.0L / 1958 F100 engine swap

A general forum and a place for initial or prospective users. See Manuals/Documentation
Click here to enter
Contact a Forum Administrator
If unsure where to post, post in this sub-forum.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

FlashCadillac
MS/Extra Newbie

Newbie - Mustang 5.0L / 1958 F100 engine swap

Post by FlashCadillac »

Evening.

I was guided here by one of the Mods for a bit of advice...

a little about myself first.

I live up near Leeds and have a 1990 Mustang with a 347ci (5.7L) Stroker motor with a DIY-Autotune PNP microsquirt unit that so far, I have been very impressed with.

I have recently bought a 1958 Ford F100 Pickup that has the origina (although modified) 292 (4.8L) Y-Block, I am wanting to remove this and drop in another Fox motor I have sourced to get more MPG out of the heavy girl. At the end of the day, what the fox motor looks like in the truck is going to be a compromise, although I am going to try my best to replicate the looks of the original Y-Block

I am going to have some adapter plates made so i can use the original valve covers, i have bought a mulit port injection manifold that has a traditional 4-barrel carb mount in the middle and a throttle body that is designed to mount on a 4-barrel manifold, then hopfully i can install the original filter over the top of it all just having the addition of the fuel rails.

Here is the bit I am wanting some advice on. I would like to do away with the dizzy and change over to coil packs, that way it sill looks like the dizzy is at the back. I know some of the later Ford Explorers had a cam sensor in the Dizzy hole which also runs the oil pump... so i do need something in the hole.

can i use this for the MS timing? I have also seen a few timing covers available for the 5.0L engine that will house a crank sensor although i do no know what there were originally fitted to? Also i have seen a lower left mounted crank sensor, again, not sure what used these originally.

If i go down the route of fitting a crank sensor, I will need to change the crank pulley to one that has the trigger wheel on the back. Does anyone know if the pulley is the same depth as the fox pulley? that way i wont have to change the other pulleys on the motor for correct belt alignment

Any help would be much appreciated :)
ol boy
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: Newbie - Mustang 5.0L / 1958 F100 engine swap

Post by ol boy »

Why not just inject the Y block.? A simple GM TBI will gain a few mpg and might gain some seat of the pants power too. Pull the dizy and to cop.
306 SBFord, Torquer II EFI intake, 60 lbs injectors, 8 LS2 coils, VS Racing 7668 turbo, 4R70W, MS3x fw1.4 w/built in trans controller.
Ollie8974
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by Ollie8974 »

Yes, The Ford cam position sensors can be used with MS.
There are two cam position sensors.
As you can see the sensors are quite a bit different.
The sensor on the left measures 1.495 inch in diameter.
The sensor on the right measures 1.30 inches.
Measure the hole in the block on your engine, that is the sensor to use.
There is a Ford 36-1 trigger wheel used on cars equipped with The EDIS
That should work for the trigger wheel.
FORD CAM SENSOR2.jpg
FlashCadillac
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by FlashCadillac »

Thanks ollie, do i need both the cam sensor and the crank sensor to run coil packs?
FlashCadillac
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by FlashCadillac »

ol boy wrote:Why not just inject the Y block.? A simple GM TBI will gain a few mpg and might gain some seat of the pants power too. Pull the dizy and to cop.
I know what you're saying, and i would like to fuel inject the old motor one day. At the moment, the gearbox is on the way out, its having some kind of running issues and id like to put an auto in it. Just happen to have a fox mustang drive train sat there, just makes sense to put it in as i know its a good runner

Im building the truck for comfort over performance, so the more modern the engine the better, id have gone for an ally modular motor if i could afford it. Maybe one day
Ollie8974
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by Ollie8974 »

FlashCadillac wrote:Thanks ollie, do i need both the cam sensor and the crank sensor to run coil packs?
Yes, To run sequential fuel and ignition.
IMG_1632CROPED.jpg
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

You can use the crank sensor alone if not running anything sequentially, but as you noted, there needs to be something in there for the oil pump drive.
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X