new user questions

A general forum and a place for initial or prospective users. See Manuals/Documentation
Click here to enter
Contact a Forum Administrator
If unsure where to post, post in this sub-forum.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

afri-stang
MS/Extra Newbie

new user questions

Post by afri-stang »

Hi all,

My mspnp2 for my 88, factory SD, mustang should be here soon and I have a few (probably mind numbingly boring) qu's. Sorry, I have searched, and not found the answers.

First, what do I do with the current map sensor? Will the ms automatically read it as a second map sensor for baro correction if I unhook the vac. Line? Thats wishful thinking I imagine. Haha. Do I just plug the vac port? Can I use this port for the ms map sensor? All this may be covered in the documentation I get with the unit, but all I have read so far suggests the documentation is aimed more at factory maf cars.

In preparation for the arrival of my mspnp I have removed the egr valve (which was throwing codes anyway, and isnt used by the ms). Anything else I can/should remove when doing this? I have plugged the vac. Line. While on the subject, after removing the egr, I found that the engine runs a LOT hotter, is this something I should be concerned about? Or is it just because its running leaner and this can be sorted out with ms tuning?

Probably getting ahead of myself with this one, but are there any setting's that need to be changed due to the fact I'm not running the stock coil? Injectors?

Any advice given is much appreciated.
Darren
'88 LX Mustang - Shorty headers, high flow catted H-pipe, cold air intake, 70 ml TB, MSD (coil, cap, rotor, wires), Accel 19lb injectors (stock replacement), front and rear shock tower braces, SFC's, Bilstein rear shocks and quadshocks.
afri-stang
MS/Extra Newbie

Re: new user questions

Post by afri-stang »

Sorry still new here. I think this is in the wrong place. Any chance a mod could move it for me pls?
Darren
'88 LX Mustang - Shorty headers, high flow catted H-pipe, cold air intake, 70 ml TB, MSD (coil, cap, rotor, wires), Accel 19lb injectors (stock replacement), front and rear shock tower braces, SFC's, Bilstein rear shocks and quadshocks.
Lincolnman
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Lincolnman »

Well, I think you are in the right area, at least.
I would think that changing things with the PNP module will mean a little extra work on your part to compensate for the differences, but I don't know the specifics of your hardware. I am fairly sure the injectors will require you to change it slightly, the coil I have no idea. This is mostly a bump.
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

afri-stang wrote:Hi all,

My mspnp2 for my 88, factory SD, mustang should be here soon and I have a few (probably mind numbingly boring) qu's. Sorry, I have searched, and not found the answers.

First, what do I do with the current map sensor? Will the ms automatically read it as a second map sensor for baro correction if I unhook the vac. Line? Thats wishful thinking I imagine. Haha. Do I just plug the vac port? Can I use this port for the ms map sensor? All this may be covered in the documentation I get with the unit, but all I have read so far suggests the documentation is aimed more at factory maf cars.
The MSPNP ignores the factory MAP sensor - it uses its own built in 4 bar MAP sensor and has a barometric correction sensor built in. You can simply remove the factory MAP sensor or leave it as-is.
I found that the engine runs a LOT hotter, is this something I should be concerned about? Or is it just because its running leaner and this can be sorted out with ms tuning?
It's possibly either one. I'd make sure the cooling systems is up to par.
Probably getting ahead of myself with this one, but are there any setting's that need to be changed due to the fact I'm not running the stock coil?
The TFI module on this car controls the dwell, so there's nothing to adjust for the coils.
Injectors?

Any advice given is much appreciated.
Tuning for larger injectors is covered in the MSPNP manual.
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
afri-stang
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by afri-stang »

Thanks for the replies. Got the MS and wideband installed. Very straightforward, I was pleasantly surprised. Got it idling, first trip out to start tuning, melted the dashboard harness. This will hopefully be fixed today. Cant believe no one sells these things any more.
Darren