fuel pump wont prime or pump fuel

A general forum and a place for initial or prospective users. See Manuals/Documentation
Click here to enter
Contact a Forum Administrator
If unsure where to post, post in this sub-forum.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

AustinM
MS/Extra Newbie

fuel pump wont prime or pump fuel

Post by AustinM »

Hello I started messing with my Megasquirt again and now I ran into a wall. When I turn the key on the middle led flashes blue really quick and the fuel pump does nothing. Every once in awhile the pump will randomly prime when I turn the key on but not very often. Also when I try connecting it to my computer it does not connect so I haven't been able to check anything on there. when I crank the engine over the two outer led lights flash. I disconnected the wire going from the megasquirt to the fuel pump relay and grounded the wire on the relay and it started pumping fuel so Im guessing its a bad ground or something in the computer messed up. My car is a 98 talon with the 420a engine.
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: fuel pump wont prime or pump fuel

Post by Matt Cramer »

Does the fuel pump output work on a Stim?

On the non-communicating issue, what happens if you try Port Check?
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
AustinM
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by AustinM »

Hi sorry for the late reply But first I don't have a stim I thought about taking it to a shop around here that has a stim and could look at it for me. But I would like to run some test's first myself before running it over and paying extra money.
As for the port check I have not tried it how do I do that exactly?
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

To do the port check, you'll need the program portcheck.exe. If you don't have a copy, download it here:

http://www.diyautotune.com/downloads/tu ... tCheck.zip

Power up the Megasquirt and connect it to your PC. You do not need to open the case and should not put the boot jumper in place for this test. Close TunerStudio if it's running, and run the portcheck.exe program. When this program starts, it will scan the available COM ports.

If the port it's scanning is not connected to a working Megasquirt, or it's on the wrong speed, it'll say "No connection made." If it's on the right port and right speed, it will give you the version of the Megasquirt firmware that's on the Megasquirt.

If you get a port where it replies with "S" or something else that doesn't look like a firmware version, this port is probably a mouse port or other port that echoes back everything that's typed. You can usually ignore these unless you're doing certain specific tests.

Please post a screen shot of what you get. It's probably best to attack this problem before dealing with the fuel pump.
AustinM
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by AustinM »

Ok heres what I got from the port check. Also I think my fuel pump relay is bad I wired up the asd relay with the fuel pump wires and the fuel pump started woring so I am going to try picking up a new relay thanks for the help!
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

It's communicating fine with Port Check. What happens if you try making a new project in TunerStudio and detecting it?
AustinM
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by AustinM »

Ill have to wait till the weekend to try it. But usually I just plug the usb in and tuner studio just pops on. I think its something with my laptop its has a hard time finding usb devices at times.
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Post by jsmcortina »

AustinM wrote:Ill have to wait till the weekend to try it. But usually I just plug the usb in and tuner studio just pops on. I think its something with my laptop its has a hard time finding usb devices at times.
The portcheck screenshot you posted confirms that your laptop DID find the USB-serial port, so that's good.

But perhaps Windows decided to change the COM port number for it. Using "Detect" on "Communications->Settings" in TunerStudio should sort that out.

James
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

My Success story: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 04&t=34277
MSEXTRA documentation at: http://www.msextra.com/doc/index.html
New users, please read the "Forum Help Page".
AustinM
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by AustinM »

well I went over to my the garage and replaced the relay now the pump is working :) and I went ahead and restored my computer to a earlier date not sure if it helped or not but I can now connect to my computer! Thanks for the help guys!