Recomend a basic low cost oscilloscope?

A general forum and a place for initial or prospective users. See Manuals/Documentation
Click here to enter
Contact a Forum Administrator
If unsure where to post, post in this sub-forum.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

ReaperCustoms
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Recomend a basic low cost oscilloscope?

Post by ReaperCustoms »

Hey guys, im looking to buy a oscilloscope, At this stage mainly to test coils for the optimal dwell settings but im sure ill find other uses for it...

What do you class as the minimum required specs for a scope used on a car?

Any actual models you can recommend? There is some cheap usb ones on ebay but are these a waste of time?
arran
Master MS/Extra'er

Re: Recomend a basic low cost oscilloscope?

Post by arran »

I brought one of these a few years ago and it has been great
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/UNI-T-HANDHE ... 1e8b7b002f

It is just single channel and only goes to 8MHz but this is OK for automotive use.
RX7 Series 2 13B Turbo. Megasquirt 3 with 3X Expander and V3 CPU. Firmware 1.4.1
Knock module, twin EGT, real time clock, WBO2, full sequential fuel and spark
http://web.aanet.com.au/arran
elutionsdesign
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by elutionsdesign »

The cheap USB ones are fine, mine is a Disco, google that, cost $175 and is dual channel. Been using it steadily for 5 years now and channel A just died, otherwise perfect.
Graduate of EFI University.

I build, repair, install and tune Megasquirt systems in North Dakota and beyond!
kjones6039
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by kjones6039 »

elutionsdesign wrote:and is dual channel.
Certainly not essential, but I would recommend to the op that, if you're going to purchase a scope, by all means get a dual channel unit!

Ken
1979 Corvette - 383 CID SBC w/ Holley Pro-Jection 900 CFM TBI, 4-85 lb lo-z injectors & Walbro 255 pump
MS2 v3 w/extra 3.4.2 Release
36-1, Delphi LS2/7 coils in wasted spark, driven by v2.0 logic board from JBPerformance
Spartan Lambda Sensor from 14point7
TinyIOX from JBPerformance
dontz125
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by dontz125 »

Temporarily shut down - back soon!
QuadraMAP Sensor Module -- PWM-to-Stepper Controller -- Dual Coil Driver
Coming soon: OctoMAP Sensor Module
TTR Ignition Systems
Hey_Allen
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Hey_Allen »

If you can get by without data logging, you can often find CRT based scopes at affordable prices at electronics recyclers and swap meets.
I bought my dual channel 20MHz (or was it a 10MHz... either works for automotive needs!) scope for $20, and it worked fine other than slightly oxidized potentiometers on the controls. An afternoon of fiddling the knobs around while watching mindless entertainment on the TV and the scope has worked ever since.
Josh
-greasy fingered tinkerer
24c
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by 24c »

I had an old Tektronix CRT scope, two channel variety, ex school, that lasted me a while, but I needed something portable, that wasn't 240V outside when it was raining, so I bought a battery powered Velleman single channel scope with a crude display.

However, when you need to ask questions on a forum, you can't beat having a USB PC link, because that'll get you screenshots, and you can ask better questions.
So with this in mind, after using a camera previously, I bought a cheapo fleaBay USB scope, but the software isn't brilliant. It does its job, is prone to line noise/interference, but I think I'll be getting a higher end one in the future.

With hindsight looking at what is in the market now, I'd probably get a UNI-81T for portability, and a Hantek USB PC scope, but really I'm hoping that one day the tuning software will have a scope tab! :idea: :)

Mike
Yamaha GTS1000 v2 MicroSquirt, B&G 2.891
Yamaha GTS1000 v3 beta MicroSquirt, B&G3.760
Yamaha GTS1000 MSExtra 3.1, Dual VR Board
Yamaha YZF1000 MSExtra 3.1
dontz125
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by dontz125 »

24c wrote: but really I'm hoping that one day the tuning software will have a scope tab! :idea: :)
Now THAT'S something to send Phil a PM about! (rubbing-chin-thoughtfully smiley)
Temporarily shut down - back soon!
QuadraMAP Sensor Module -- PWM-to-Stepper Controller -- Dual Coil Driver
Coming soon: OctoMAP Sensor Module
TTR Ignition Systems
racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by racingmini_mtl »

dontz125 wrote:
24c wrote: but really I'm hoping that one day the tuning software will have a scope tab! :idea: :)
Now THAT'S something to send Phil a PM about! (rubbing-chin-thoughtfully smiley)
Even if you use the sound card as the scope input (with the limited bandwidth), you can't use a software-only approach. You still need at least some hardware connected to the PC. And I doubt anyone could beat the price of the cheap Chinese USB scopes.

Jean
jbperf.com Main site . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . jbperf.com Forum
24c
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by 24c »

racingmini_mtl wrote:...you can't use a software-only approach. You still need at least some hardware connected to the PC. And I doubt anyone could beat the price of the cheap Chinese USB scopes.
I know a company that does use a software approach, via USB connection to the ECU, but I totally agree, the cheap Chinese scopes are unbeatable. However, wouldn't it be great, if instead of opening some Mickey Mouse clunky cheap software package that came with your Chinese scope, TunerStudio had a scope tab that used the USB attached oscilloscope outputs. :twisted:

I'd pay for the option, and it isn't much different to having a Bluetooth adapter that is guaranteed to work with TunerStudio etc.

Just a 2¢
Mike
R100RT
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by R100RT »

24c wrote:
racingmini_mtl wrote:...you can't use a software-only approach. You still need at least some hardware connected to the PC. And I doubt anyone could beat the price of the cheap Chinese USB scopes.
I know a company that does use a software approach, via USB connection to the ECU, but I totally agree, the cheap Chinese scopes are unbeatable. However, wouldn't it be great, if instead of opening some Mickey Mouse clunky cheap software package that came with your Chinese scope, TunerStudio had a scope tab that used the USB attached oscilloscope outputs. :twisted:

I'd pay for the option, and it isn't much different to having a Bluetooth adapter that is guaranteed to work with TunerStudio etc.

Just a 2¢
Mike
Mike, great ideas!
Your a long way over here from your usual posting hangout lol?
Lorne
1983 BMW R100RT Motorbike
Turbocharged - Water/Meth
Sequential Ignition & Fuel
"Perky Sleeper" that excites bike enthusiasts once discovered (or being passed)
Newest project - 1995 BMW K75 is V3 Microsquirt, "Turbocharger - Of Course"
racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by racingmini_mtl »

24c wrote:I know a company that does use a software approach, via USB connection to the ECU ...
But if you're trying to see why your ECU isn't seeing a tach signal (for example), I don't see how connecting to the ECU will do any good. Unless there is something I'm missing or there are inputs on the ECU that can be used as separate scope probe inputs. In any case, there is still some sort of hardware needed to read the analog signal; in this case that would be the ECU.
24c wrote:However, wouldn't it be great, if instead of opening some Mickey Mouse clunky cheap software package that came with your Chinese scope, TunerStudio had a scope tab that used the USB attached oscilloscope outputs. :twisted:
That could be useful but I would suspect that it is a job that is much larger than what it could be worth to Phil. And I must say that I like to use independent software/hardware when troubleshooting to make sure that what I see is real and not some artifact; there's nothing more frustrating than chasing a ghost.

Jean
jbperf.com Main site . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . jbperf.com Forum
24c
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by 24c »

Jean,

They can monitor the VR, Hall sensor outputs of the ECU plug via the USB connector that connects to the ECU, and visualise these in their software package, which is very clunky, littered with odd translations and totally different to the TunerStudio/MSExtra experience. I have used a few of their base models in my projects, and they are surprisingly robust, and very different from the MS2 experience.

I also agree it's nice to have separate stuff, but integrated solutions have their place too, and I also realise it's a big ask for Phil (some stuff is available from FTDI, but not in Java AFAIK), when he has more important stuff to do. It was only a suggestion, a little bit of brainstorming and a tease! :)
Back on the OP topic, this was an oscilloscope I liked that had useful software. Not too expensive, dual channel with a signal generator too.

Mike
ReaperCustoms
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by ReaperCustoms »

Thanks guys, I ended up buying one of these:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Hantek-PC-10 ... 54090e454a

Now to learn how to use it!
DaveEFI
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by DaveEFI »

ReaperCustoms wrote:Thanks guys, I ended up buying one of these:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Hantek-PC-10 ... 54090e454a

Now to learn how to use it!
I bought one of those recently too - but not yet used it. Would be good to hear how you get on with it - as the instructions don't look brilliant.

I also have a small hand held one - about the size of a phone - which has served me well enough for use on the car, but it would be handy to capture a pic of the display, hence getting the Hantek.

Can't see me replacing my ancient Tek 465B in the workshop, though. To get a new one of similar spec would cost a fortune. :D
Rover SD1 3.5 EFI
MS2 V3
EDIS
Tech Edge O2
London UK.
ReaperCustoms
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by ReaperCustoms »

Will do Dave, im eagerly awaiting it.