Diferent kind of sparks, and hardware latency

A general forum and a place for initial or prospective users. See Manuals/Documentation
Click here to enter
Contact a Forum Administrator
If unsure where to post, post in this sub-forum.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

botasjr
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Diferent kind of sparks, and hardware latency

Post by botasjr »

im a little disapointed with megasquirt,

on some cars, using the same coil pack and same megasquirt construction i dont have a blue hot spark like some other cars,
justo on 30% of the cars i have this blue hot spark, the others is a yellow spark, on most cases the engines runs, but it seems that is not the same thing.

what are the important points to have a good spark?

i just have tested with ford, gm, bosch coils,
all on 4 cilinder wasted spark setups. megasquirt 2 using the BIP

i just have tested on bosch coils, that originaly on the car uses the Bosch ignition module, but i never have used this bosch module attached to the megasquirt.

the other problem for me, is about hardware latency, on most cases i need to apply hardware latency to have a good power curve, tested on dyno.

i apreciate some ideias,
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Re: Diferent kind of sparks, and hardware latency

Post by jsmcortina »

You will need to provide a lot more information before anyone can realistically answer you.

Take one install at a time, describe it fully (tach in, coils in use, wiring, Megasquirt modifications etc.) and post MSQ and datalogs.

James
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

My Success story: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 04&t=34277
MSEXTRA documentation at: http://www.msextra.com/doc/index.html
New users, please read the "Forum Help Page".
racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by racingmini_mtl »

As James says, you need to provide all the relevant information. But what you mention about spark intensity and hardware latency sounds like you don't always have the correct polarity for both the tach input and the spark output. That would create all sorts of problems.

Jean
jbperf.com Main site . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . jbperf.com Forum
botasjr
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by botasjr »

about the correct polarity you give me an ideia,

on the spark output, the polarity is correct, because the coil only fires that way,

but on tach input i dont know, the car starts good, and revs, but have a little latency, and the spark is poor.

recently im talking on 2 opel C20Xe engines, with the same configuration, and 2 megasquirt 2 wasted spark, build on the same time, same hardware, same firmware 3.3.2.

but my question now is, it is possible to have hardware latency, and a poor spark if the tach input is reversed? but at the same time, the engine starts good and run relatively good?

on tuner studio, on the tach input section, wath is the meaning of rising edge, and faling edge?

regards