cop on v8 without edis???

A general forum and a place for initial or prospective users. See Manuals/Documentation
Click here to enter
Contact a Forum Administrator
If unsure where to post, post in this sub-forum.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

taka28
Helpful MS/Extra'er

cop on v8 without edis???

Post by taka28 »

hey everyone im new to this and looking to learn as much as I can. forgive me if this is the wrong section.
my question is; can i run coil on plug on a v8 (lexus 1uzfe) without edis? with an ms2???
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: cop on v8 without edis???

Post by Matt Cramer »

Yes, the MS2 would need to fire the coils in pairs since it has a maximum of 6 spark outputs.
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
taka28
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by taka28 »

awesome thanks, im curious as to how the wasted spark will work for my v8 (1uzfe)
im just trying to wrap my mind around this whole thing.
taka28
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by taka28 »

can the stock 12 tooth trigger wheel be used with this setup or will i need to switch to a different one?
dontz125
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by dontz125 »

If this is a missing tooth wheel (say, 12-1), then yes. If there are no missing teeth, then you need to look at something on the cam as well.
Temporarily shut down - back soon!
QuadraMAP Sensor Module -- PWM-to-Stepper Controller -- Dual Coil Driver
Coming soon: OctoMAP Sensor Module
TTR Ignition Systems
ol boy
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by ol boy »

taka28 wrote:awesome thanks, im curious as to how the wasted spark will work for my v8 (1uzfe)
Looks like a standard SBChevy hole layout and firing order to me.... 1 8 4 3 6 5 7 2

These pistons are at TDC in pairs at the same time. 1 and 6, 8 and 5, 4 and 7, 3 and 2. Take the first half of the order and lay it over the second half. You now have the pairs. This becomes your waste spark layout. I have this same setup on a SBFord using GM LS2 style coils. You can drive 2 logic level coils from one spark output (D14)Spark A, and so forth.

Read up on this. http://msextra.com/doc/general/sparkout.html
and http://msextra.com/doc/ms1extra/MS_Extr ... htm#2coils
306 SBFord, Torquer II EFI intake, 60 lbs injectors, 8 LS2 coils, VS Racing 7668 turbo, 4R70W, MS3x fw1.4 w/built in trans controller.
taka28
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by taka28 »

dontz125 wrote:If this is a missing tooth wheel (say, 12-1), then yes. If there are no missing teeth, then you need to look at something on the cam as well.
its not a missing tooth wheel. 12 teeth equally spaced. both of the cams have a single tooth wheel as well though.
taka28
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by taka28 »

ol boy wrote:
taka28 wrote:awesome thanks, im curious as to how the wasted spark will work for my v8 (1uzfe)
Looks like a standard SBChevy hole layout and firing order to me.... 1 8 4 3 6 5 7 2

These pistons are at TDC in pairs at the same time. 1 and 6, 8 and 5, 4 and 7, 3 and 2. Take the first half of the order and lay it over the second half. You now have the pairs. This becomes your waste spark layout. I have this same setup on a SBFord using GM LS2 style coils. You can drive 2 logic level coils from one spark output (D14)Spark A, and so forth.

Read up on this. http://msextra.com/doc/general/sparkout.html
and http://msextra.com/doc/ms1extra/MS_Extr ... htm#2coils
Awesome thank you for the info and links this really helps out.
taka28
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by taka28 »

ok so what do i need to do to use the 12 tooth crank wheel with the 1 tooth cam wheel?
will that give me sequential injection (or paired maybe)?
also i saw that i have to wire in resistors for the logic coil drivers, but im unsure on the forth one. if anyone could explain where the fourth circut comes from that would be awesome.
also the unit i bought came with the MSnS-E Daughterboard wired up and im lost as to what it does and how it will help me achieve this goal.

the end goal is to be running the 1uz with the ms2 v3 with logic coil on plug (in wasted spark) with sequential fuel injection (or paired) and boosted via holset he351 turbocharger.
im contiuously reading and trying to wrap my mind around what needs to be done so i truly appreciate everyones help on here.
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Post by jsmcortina »

MS2 cannot do sequential injection on a V8. As standard it has two injector outputs and with customisation it has a maximum of four.

This is all covered in the MS2/V3.0 Hardware manual.

James
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

My Success story: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 04&t=34277
MSEXTRA documentation at: http://www.msextra.com/doc/index.html
New users, please read the "Forum Help Page".
racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by racingmini_mtl »

taka28 wrote:also the unit i bought came with the MSnS-E Daughterboard wired up and im lost as to what it does and how it will help me achieve this goal.
Are you sure this is an MS2? That doesn't sound like an MS2 add-on but an MS1. Can you post pictures of your unit with and without that board?

Jean
jbperf.com Main site . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . jbperf.com Forum
taka28
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by taka28 »

its a v3 main board with the ms2 daughter card and the error*s card wired in.
cant seem to make the picture small enough to post here

ok i got it to work now
racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by racingmini_mtl »

Ok, it is an MS2. But you'll have to establish exactly which options you have and how they're wired before you can do anything. And you have a lot of them. So you are the only one who's going to be able to know what you have and you'll need to go through all the wiring and compare it with the documentation. If you can't do that you need to have someone else look at it in person because that's not something you can do on the forum with pictures. One issue is that this add-on board is old and was likely not using the latest recommended circuits and wiring.

Or remove everything and start over using the documentation as a guide. But that also has the potential of breaking something in the process.

Those are the realities of using second hand units especially if you're not familiar with Megasquirt and its history.

Jean
jbperf.com Main site . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . jbperf.com Forum
kjones6039
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by kjones6039 »

racingmini_mtl wrote:Those are the realities of using second hand units especially if you're not familiar with Megasquirt and its history.
Amen!

I am curious to know what that board is though! :?:

Ken
1979 Corvette - 383 CID SBC w/ Holley Pro-Jection 900 CFM TBI, 4-85 lb lo-z injectors & Walbro 255 pump
MS2 v3 w/extra 3.4.2 Release
36-1, Delphi LS2/7 coils in wasted spark, driven by v2.0 logic board from JBPerformance
Spartan Lambda Sensor from 14point7
TinyIOX from JBPerformance
taka28
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by taka28 »

racingmini_mtl wrote:Ok, it is an MS2. But you'll have to establish exactly which options you have and how they're wired before you can do anything. And you have a lot of them. So you are the only one who's going to be able to know what you have and you'll need to go through all the wiring and compare it with the documentation. If you can't do that you need to have someone else look at it in person because that's not something you can do on the forum with pictures. One issue is that this add-on board is old and was likely not using the latest recommended circuits and wiring.

Or remove everything and start over using the documentation as a guide. But that also has the potential of breaking something in the process.

Those are the realities of using second hand units especially if you're not familiar with Megasquirt and its history.

Jean
I figured it was going to come down to that. ill pull the errors card and start matching whats on the main board with the assembly diagrams.
taka28
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by taka28 »

kjones6039 wrote:
racingmini_mtl wrote:Those are the realities of using second hand units especially if you're not familiar with Megasquirt and its history.
Amen!

I am curious to know what that board is though! :?:

Ken
its and error*s daughter board (if im not mistaken)
racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by racingmini_mtl »

That's what it is and it (or at least its design) dates back from before the MS2 was introduced. As far as I remember it was designed to include all the MS1Extra (then called MSnS for MegaSquirt and Spark) extra features on a single add-on board.

So it could be made to work but would mean knowing how things were done then and adapting it to the current standard.

Jean
taka28
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by taka28 »

ok so quick update ive removed the errors daughter board and gone back through the assembly of the main board and found almost everything is already layed out the way i want. i did the wire for the vr sensor and now im going to try and figure out the spark outputs for the logic coils