Fresh N00B to Mega Squirt Need Advice

A general forum and a place for initial or prospective users. See Manuals/Documentation
Click here to enter
Contact a Forum Administrator
If unsure where to post, post in this sub-forum.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

KCARVIPERJ
MS/Extra Newbie

Fresh N00B to Mega Squirt Need Advice

Post by KCARVIPERJ »

Hello
I own a 98 dodge neon with a 2.4L Turbo Motor running MS. I have a AFR gauge and the car runs crazy Rich like black smoke Rich 10 AFR in Boost rich. So I wanna buy a Laptop strictly for MS Tuning in the car.
What is the cheapest Laptop I can use to Tune with Tuner studio?
When I purchase The software do I get it right away in an email?

If you where a complete n00b and have a car with MS in it where should I start? I need to get a laptop hooked up and see whats going on and not change anything till I understand whats going on.
Thanks
Ollie8974
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Re: Fresh N00B to Mega Squirt Need Advice

Post by Ollie8974 »

I purchased a IBM Think pad T41 with docking port, to use exclusively with MegaSquirt.
Picketed it up on E-bay for around $110.00
I up graded the hard drive to a SSD and 512 ram.
If you choose a think Pad with docking station. Open the BIOS and activate the serial port option.
I have never been able to connect to MS with USB.
When you purchase Turner Studio and Mega log viewer.
They can be down loaded right away.
What version of MS do you have, check the Manuals link at the top of this page.
Set up the basic perimeters of the engine, before starting engine.

I have found the 10 part, You Tube videos by Philip Ringwood, very helpful to set up MS.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZIfhKq ... caRWxgkepM
Very clear videos showing which tabs the settings are located.
This link will bring up a lot of other MS links that you might find informative.
Or go to You tube search use the key word MegaSquirt for a mind boggling experience.
Last edited by Ollie8974 on Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KCARVIPERJ
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by KCARVIPERJ »

I'm running MS1 on a 2.2V Board

What can I read about getting logs etc. The car runs just very rich. If I hook up a laptop after I buy tuner studio can I just log data and note screw anything up?

What should I read for first time hooking laptop up to a car.
Thanks
kjones6039
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by kjones6039 »

KCARVIPERJ wrote:have a car with MS in it where should I start? I need to get a laptop hooked up and see whats going on
Well.... I guess that would preclude my asking for a log or msq huh?

Never the less, I am impressed that the car is running and never been hooked up to a lap top :shock:

When you get hooked up, post up a log and msq and I'm sure you will get some help with that rich condition you are talking about!

Ken
1979 Corvette - 383 CID SBC w/ Holley Pro-Jection 900 CFM TBI, 4-85 lb lo-z injectors & Walbro 255 pump
MS2 v3 w/extra 3.4.2 Release
36-1, Delphi LS2/7 coils in wasted spark, driven by v2.0 logic board from JBPerformance
Spartan Lambda Sensor from 14point7
TinyIOX from JBPerformance
KCARVIPERJ
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by KCARVIPERJ »

where can I read about How to properly hook the Lapyop up to the car and not switch anything just log data for you guys.

So step one get a laptop then buy the tuner studio package my MS has a USB adapter on it so connecting it shouldn't be a problem.

The car drives fine other then being pig Rich when in Boost and even ildle id say.

So hook up laptop and open data logger and drive around while it logs what the car is doing? That simple?
Thanks
DeadStiff
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by DeadStiff »

Yes it is, the only exception is when Tuner Studio detects the ecu the first time it will ask you to overwrite what is on the ecu or to load the tune that is currently in the ecu. Make sure that you get the tune from the ecu or it will be lost.

On another note it wouldn't be a bad idea if Tuner Studio made a backup of the tune on the ecu before it overwrites what is on there. It would be helpful for times like this.
MS3+X on 73 Karmann Ghia ignition only with LS2 truck coils firing in sequential, fuel next.
2333(103*70) Type 4 with DTM also sitting in living room just need exhaust.
KCARVIPERJ
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by KCARVIPERJ »

You got me freaked out. Do you mean make sure the tune that's in the car now is put onto the laptop? The last thing I wanna do is wipe the WCU the car runs etc just super rich.

I got a laptop on the lend for 2 weeks. I downloaded tuner studio and data logger . I started to look threw tuner studio and it seemed overwhelming with all the setup questions extra. Does someone have a good getting started vid?
I have the laptop with software loaded. I need to set it up now and then hook it up to the car without wiping anything lol.

What would be a good tool for a n00b like me? Thanks
kjones6039
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by kjones6039 »

KCARVIPERJ wrote:Does someone have a good getting started vid?
Funny you should ask..... :lol: I was just looking at an excellent little MS2 MS3 Settings Tutorial on YouTube, that Phil Ringwood posted. I will post up a link when I get some time..... In the mean time you can probably find it with a little searching..........

Ken

EDIT: Hopefully, this link will get you to Phil's little TS series on YouTube..................
Last edited by kjones6039 on Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1979 Corvette - 383 CID SBC w/ Holley Pro-Jection 900 CFM TBI, 4-85 lb lo-z injectors & Walbro 255 pump
36-1, Delphi LS2/7 coils in wasted spark, driven by v2.0 logic board from JBPerformance
Ollie8974
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by Ollie8974 »

The link to Philip Ringwood's YT videos is in post #2 above.
kjones6039
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by kjones6039 »

Way to make me look bad, Ollie!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

d***! I knew I read that somewhere! Clearly, the dementia is catching up with me!!! aaaaarghhhhhh

Ken