Pressure sensors for fuel/air/oil

A general forum and a place for initial or prospective users. See Manuals/Documentation
Click here to enter
Contact a Forum Administrator
If unsure where to post, post in this sub-forum.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

elturbonitroso
Master MS/Extra'er

Re: Pressure sensors for fuel/air/oil

Post by elturbonitroso »

any update on this sensor.
MWPau
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by MWPau »

Year later it's working just fine.
Toyota Celica GT4/Alltrac with 5S-GTE stroker (2.2L I4 turbo, high CR) on E85 w/FlexFuel.
MS3 + MS3X + KnockBoard + RTC + BT + DIY CAN-IO-Board + DIY CAN Digital Dash.
sedd
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by sedd »

I have used this for both fuel and oil pressure transmitter 0 to 100 psig $58.99 30-2131-100 Jegs AEM (Advanced Engine Management). Comes with calibration curve information for use in setting them up. I had to tweak the values a bit to get zero and pressure maximum. Comes with a pig tail connector on the sensor. Pretty easy to set up and use.

I have replaced both oil and gasoline fuel pressure senders after only 5000 miles of run time. they were not leaking, the output values were erratic or reading very low.
1970 Chevelle, 540 big block, AFR heads, headers, mild cam
MS3 release 1.4.0, sequential fuel, LS2 coil per plug
Tuner Studio MS V3.0.05
jasaircraft
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by jasaircraft »

Good to know about the GM sensor, i will be installing the cheap stainless ones in a subaru today, in the past i installed a couple of the stainless ones too on a supra(fuel and oil) and the fuel one was very erratic even after max smoothing the signal.... then it just stopped working.
Laminar
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by Laminar »

I started with two of the cheap stainless sensors, one each for fuel and oil. Neither was actually calibrated well and required me to fudge the numbers to see a true zero. Then I didn't trust the actual value shown while running, so I had to further fudge the numbers after comparing with my mechanical gauge.

Finally one day a couple months back my oil pressure light began flickering and since this is a 160,000+ mile engine some kind of failure isn't too impossible. Turns out the sensor had been leaking and enough oil got into the plug that it was shorting out.

After looking at the aforementioned GM sensor and trying to find the right adapters to get it to 1/4NPT like I needed, I ended up getting this AEM 0-100psi sensor on Amazon for about $60. 1/8NPT like any standard sensor, and the body is much more substantial than the cheapo sensor. As an extra bonus, its plug is fully compatible with the cheap sensors so I didn't have to rewire anything.

What good is monitoring oil or fuel pressure if you can't trust the signal? It's no better than an on/off switch, and the switch is probably more reliable.

Last edited by Laminar on Mon Aug 02, 2021 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jasaircraft
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by jasaircraft »

Good info there, hope the AEM sensor is more reliable and accurate, i remember on the supra i couldnt really use the limiter ptions for low oil pressure or fuel pressure because readings werent consistent.
This time on this subaru im using a pressure damper before the sensor hoping it can help getting the signal steady.
The oil pressure sensor on the supra did work fine btw, that led me to think that either gasoline itself or the pulsations are damaging the sensor