...a Lincoln.

A general forum and a place for initial or prospective users. See Manuals/Documentation
Click here to enter
Contact a Forum Administrator
If unsure where to post, post in this sub-forum.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

Pirate
MS/Extra Newbie

...a Lincoln.

Post by Pirate »

Hi. To keep this simple...I own a 1994 Lincoln MK8, 4.6 DOHC.

I'd like to simplify the car a bit, as I'm thinking of running this engine and a manual trans in another car.

Any idea as to which system might be best for this? There might be a turbo option in the future....
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: ...a Lincoln.

Post by Matt Cramer »

"Son, you're going to drive me to drinking..."

These engines can be run on either an MS2 for bank to bank fueling, or an MS3 for full sequential fuel and ignition control. This one uses Ford's 36-1 crank trigger, which is one of the most common trigger arrangements used with MegaSquirt.

Any specific features you're looking to use?
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
Pirate
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Pirate »

Matt Cramer wrote:"Son, you're going to drive me to drinking..."

These engines can be run on either an MS2 for bank to bank fueling, or an MS3 for full sequential fuel and ignition control. This one uses Ford's 36-1 crank trigger, which is one of the most common trigger arrangements used with MegaSquirt.

Any specific features you're looking to use?
I sincerely apologize for the incredibly-vague post, as I've been kinda stuck at work over the last several days, unable to be a bit more detailed...and I did do a fairly-lengthy search, not being able to find much of anything that matched what I was looking for...but once again, I was kinda rushed...

I own a '94 Lincoln MK8, but given that the engine takes up just a bit of space under the hood, I'm seriously considering either converting this engine to a 2V arrangement (if it stays in this car), either going with a 5.0 stroker kit for the stock block, or moving to a 5.4 SOHC, so the auto trans doesn't have to shift down three times to get the car moving.

IF I keep this car...or move to a nicer one, as I really like the way these things drive...after having fought with this car over the last couple of days in an attempt to just simply get the O2 sensors unplugged...there's no way in hell I'll ever modify one of these cars with the stock 4.6 DOHC in place, as I'm getting sick of cars with crap jammed into every free square inch of room.

To that end, this engine and a T45 Cobra 5-speed might just end up in a 1970's or early 1980's (up to 1986) 2wd F-series pickup with a 03-up Crown Vic front clip...and there will be room to play. If that happens, and it just might, as I'm not enjoying having to make the oil filter to three right turns to come out of the DOHC Lincoln...I wouldn't mind doing the MS3 with sequential control on this engine, and wouldn't mind being directed as to where to look for more information. When the Lincoln is working correctly...it's an awesome car, and I'd like to get as close as possible to how good it runs stock...while maybe adding a single turbo or Terminator Cobra M112 blower, and calling it a day.
Essentially, it won't be a drag truck, but I'd like for it to get out of its own way.

Now, concerning the Lincoln shell itself...I'd like to look at using MS for a LS swap into this car, as the LS seems to be about half the size of the 4.6 DOHC, and I have an early 5.3 truck motor sitting on a stand in the garage...

To summarize:

With the 4.6 DOHC engine...if I keep it...I'd like to maybe run a mild blower or turbo (after or intercooled, of course) with that engine, using stock cams, and unless the MS2 will work just fine with the batch-fire systems, I wouldn't mind upgrading for the 3.

With the early 5.3 LS...I'm thinking of the same thing for this engine, although I don't see me adding any forced induction to it right now, as this car platform (the FS-10 Lincoln/MN12 Thunderbird...I also have a 1992 T-bird) really doesn't need more than 400hp...especially with a manual transmission.

Emissions won't be an issue, due to my location.

Thank you for any advice you might have...I'm scared stiff of screwing around with 20-year-old factory EFI systems, as I've seen owner after owner have nothing but issues with getting them tuned...
elutionsdesign
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by elutionsdesign »

I would say just use an MS3 Pro for both, they'll do all that you want. If you don't want all that they offer at first you might after you begin to understand the capabilities and its only a few hundred dollars more. Still the best bang for the buck in aftermarket control. And emissions aren't a problem, you can make it clean as OEM if you desire.
Graduate of EFI University.

I build, repair, install and tune Megasquirt systems in North Dakota and beyond!
Pirate
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Pirate »

Um, what part of the Pacific NW do you hail from?
ashford
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by ashford »

i have run one of these engines both stock/stock ecm and modified turboed with ms3. if oy plan on keeping the 4r70w go ahead and use the stock pcm it is capable of doing what you want and runs a bit better if staying na.

also DO NOT get a 5.0 stroker unless you don't mid changing $900 pistons every 10,000 miles. my car on "C" heads stock cams and 8 lbs boost made 460 rwhp and 550rwtq. it was a blast to drive but utterly sucked for drag racing with a manual best of 12.18@ 124.

also i don't think a ls engine will fit(oil pan wise) in the mark chassis. the sump is farther back than any ls pan i have seen and the early corvette might be shallow enough.