3 cylinder 2 stroke, spark and ignition

A general forum and a place for initial or prospective users. See Manuals/Documentation
Click here to enter
Contact a Forum Administrator
If unsure where to post, post in this sub-forum.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

axelg89
MS/Extra Newbie

3 cylinder 2 stroke, spark and ignition

Post by axelg89 »

Hi,

I'm building a 3 cylinder 2-stroke with 120 degrees between the cylinders and would like to know my options when it comes to MS. I would like to control both ignition and fuel and do so at a relatively low cost. The system is going on a bike so I have a limited amount of space and power to support the system.

What would you recommend? I've searched a lot but come up with very little regarding 3 cylinders. If I understand correctly I can either run MS1/2 with EDIS 6 or MS3X with full sequential timing options. Is there something else? MS3X seems like quite an expensive way and over complicated way to control my little 2-stroke engine...

Would greatly appritiate any input.
Best Regards
Axel, Sweden
dontz125
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: 3 cylinder 2 stroke, spark and ignition

Post by dontz125 »

Hi, Axel.

The MS2 running Extra code can control up to 6 spark channels and (with a mod to the MS2 daughter card) up to 4 injector channels. 3+3 sequential on a 2-stroke is no issue.
Temporarily shut down - back soon!
QuadraMAP Sensor Module -- PWM-to-Stepper Controller -- Dual Coil Driver
Coming soon: OctoMAP Sensor Module
TTR Ignition Systems
axelg89
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by axelg89 »

How about microsquirt, how would I go about controlling ignition on a 3 cylinder?

Thanks for the answer :)
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

It can run three spark output channels with the current code, but you'd have to fire all the injectors at the same time.
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
dontz125
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by dontz125 »

I have a test board in hand to add the 3rd and 4th fuel channels of a MicroSquirt Module to a V3.0 MicroSquirt. This will be fully internal and transparent to the end user, with re-purposed AMP35 pins for CH3, CH4, and PA0. B&G were kind enough to donate a dead V3 for dry fitting, and it fits perfectly.

Now I just have to practice installing it on the dead one (delicate soldering of wires to the processor itself), then perform the surgery on a live test box ...
TTR Ignition Systems
axelg89
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by axelg89 »

dontz125 wrote:I have a test board in hand to add the 3rd and 4th fuel channels of a MicroSquirt Module to a V3.0 MicroSquirt. This will be fully internal and transparent to the end user, with re-purposed AMP35 pins for CH3, CH4, and PA0. B&G were kind enough to donate a dead V3 for dry fitting, and it fits perfectly.

Now I just have to practice installing it on the dead one (delicate soldering of wires to the processor itself), then perform the surgery on a live test box ...
Hi, that sounds very interesting I must say... But I guess it will be a good while before that's something commercially available?

Could I control an EDIS module with the microsquirt and run wasted spark and that way control both fuel and spark with microsquirt? Or would that draw to much power for my stator to handle?

Best Regards
grom_e30
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by grom_e30 »

The cased microsquirt can run up to 4 ignition outputs, ign1, ing2 and using a pull up resistor connected to the Wled would give you the 3rd spark output. as already said as there is only 2 injector drivers all 3 would need to be connected to channel1 and fired at the same time.
1990 bmw 320i daily driver with m20b25 ms3 sequential fuel, 380cc injectors, d585 coil near plug, home made cam sync, launch control, fan control, vss, homebrew egt logging what's next????
axelg89
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by axelg89 »

Does anyone here run their engine that way? All injectors firing at the same time? How big of a disadvantage will it be? I read on the net that many of the early 1990s cars were wired this way but I can't find anything more concrete on performance disadvantages using the system...
grom_e30
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by grom_e30 »

how exactly do multi cylinder 2 strokes work??? is the inlet charge (fuel & air) for all cylinders mixed together in the crank case and then distributed or is it 3 totally independent chambers?
1990 bmw 320i daily driver with m20b25 ms3 sequential fuel, 380cc injectors, d585 coil near plug, home made cam sync, launch control, fan control, vss, homebrew egt logging what's next????
dontz125
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by dontz125 »

Three independent cylinders, with seals on the crank between cyls. Otherwise the crankcase volume would be effectively unchanging, and no mix would be drawn into or pumped out of the cases.
TTR Ignition Systems
billr
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by billr »

" 3 cylinder 2-stroke with 120 degrees between the cylinders"

I'm more curious about that... are these cylinders arranged like a radial aircraft engine?
racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by racingmini_mtl »

I think he meant the crankshaft.

Jean
jbperf.com Main site . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . jbperf.com Forum
axelg89
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by axelg89 »

billr wrote:" 3 cylinder 2-stroke with 120 degrees between the cylinders"

I'm more curious about that... are these cylinders arranged like a radial aircraft engine?
As Jean sais the cranking separation between the cylinders is 120degrees which is pretty obvious as 360/3=120 i guess. The cylinders are however parallel as seen below in the picture.

As dontz sais the crankcase is separated for the different cylinders using seals which can also be seen in the picture...

grom_e30
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by grom_e30 »

With them being 3 different chambers i would assume 3 throttle bodies and inlets so you wouldn't have a fuel scavenging problem going on but i do wonder how important the injection timing would be on a 2 stroke having less time to atomise the fuel and mix the inlet charge