Suggested Ignition Setup

A general forum and a place for initial or prospective users. See Manuals/Documentation
Click here to enter
Contact a Forum Administrator
If unsure where to post, post in this sub-forum.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

Nicholas H
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Suggested Ignition Setup

Post by Nicholas H »

good afternoon everyone,
I apologize for the numerous questions in advance.
I am currently building a 2.2l ecotec (4 cylinder) and I am looking at ignition system options.
engine: Forged engine with BorgWarner Based S259 turbo custom everything as this is going into a fiero. I plan to use the factory GM 7X trigger wheel on the crank. Meth injection will be added as well. I am trying to plan for ignition setup from a clean slate. I would like a relatively well documented setup to use as this will be my first time with any megasquirt. The system will also need to be rather robust as I plan to make 400+ hp with 18+ lbs of boost. I have considered both GM DIS and Ford EDIS for wasted spark if I go with MSII. Currently these have been my focus of research. If a setup using MS3 with COP comes out to a comparable price I will go in that direction given the ability to do sequential IGN and INJ and run meth injection.

Questions:
-With GM DIS do I need to add a second Bosch BIP373 kit to the MSII to run the second coil in wasted spark configuration?
-What is the recommended ignitor for these coils if I even need one?
-With Ford EDIS can I run this with the GM 7X trigger wheel or does this system only respond to factor trigger wheel arrangements.
-With MS3 it appears I need to use MS3X along with it to operate sequential COP and INJ system; is this true or can the MS3 with added components operate 4 coils sequentially.

The ignition system is an open book currently so if you have a fool proof solution that you suggest I will be all ears. Whether it be MS2 or MS3

Thank you in advance,
Nicholas H
dontz125
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: Suggested Ignition Setup

Post by dontz125 »

My (limited) understanding of the DIS is that it IS the ignitor / coil driver; the internal MS wiring is a logic-only set-up, with no BIPs in sight, and the same with the EDIS. Since you're pondering using BIPs, don't even bother with the DIS or EDIS - just drive the coils directly with the MS.

I don't know the specifics of the GM 7X wheel, but the EDIS module will only work with a 36-1 wheel with the sensor in a very specific position relative to TDC.

An MS3 (without the MS3X board) can drive the normal 4 ignition channels; select 'LED' for ignition mode. The MS3 does not have the ability to use the DIY 3rd and 4th injector channels of the MS2, but you CAN use the signals from the J1 10-pin header on the MS3 card to drive the 4 injector channels on a jbperf 4-channel driver card. For that matter, you could use the Spark A-D channels on the JP2 34-pin header to drive the 4 ignition channels (logic or high-current on the latest edition) on the same driver card. Be VERY careful how you select and install your header wiring ...
Temporarily shut down - back soon!
QuadraMAP Sensor Module -- PWM-to-Stepper Controller -- Dual Coil Driver
Coming soon: OctoMAP Sensor Module
TTR Ignition Systems
prof315
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by prof315 »

Why not use the stock ignition? It's already wasted spark, uses logic level triggers and the ignition module generates a 5V cam signal which will let you do sequential fueling.

Or use a late model 2.2 or 2.4 Ecotec ( 07 and up until they switched to GDI) which use a 58X (60-2) crank trigger and 2 narrow 2 wide (poll level) cam trigger along with COP and true dual VVT.
Linfert Performance/321 Motorsports
SCCA 2019 SM National Champion Crew Chief
SCCA 2023 FP National Champion Tuner/electrical engineer
100s of MS systems built installed and tuned
Support the developers!
Nicholas H
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Nicholas H »

Very interesting points you both bring up. I did consider using the stock coils but was unsure of its compatibility with megasquirt as I have not heard of anyone using the factory ignition setup on the boards. It is very good to know that the Ford EDIS is particular to the 36-1 wheel so I will eliminate that from my list of possibilities. The reason I considered the GM DIS was due to the widespread success I had read about with people using megasquirt systems. I am going to try to stick with the GM7X trigger wheel that is part of the crank as I have had the crank polished and is in good shape already. With the replies thus far I am thinking that using the stock ignition setup with wasted spark and ignition module is going to be the easiest way to go. It is an interesting point you bring up that there is a possibility of running sequential injection. I am leaning towards using a MSII but if there may be a great benefit to using a MSIII please feel free to inform me of what I may be overlooking. Not being able to run meth with the MSII appears to be the worst that may happen but I believe with the use of the kits available I can work around it.

Thank you,
Nicholas H
prof315
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by prof315 »

Actually you can do basic on/off meth control with 2 variables (kpa and TPS being the usual choice but kpa and IAT are equally good) very easily with MS2 using the generic programmable outputs.
Linfert Performance/321 Motorsports
SCCA 2019 SM National Champion Crew Chief
SCCA 2023 FP National Champion Tuner/electrical engineer
100s of MS systems built installed and tuned
Support the developers!
Nicholas H
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Nicholas H »

Awesome! Thank you for that information. Looks like I will be ordering a MSII this week or the next. I will be trying the stock ignition setup using the wasted spark and ignition cassette. It will not be until next year before the key gets turned but I am sure I will have other small questions on my way through this project.

Thanks again for all of the help everyone. Its fantastic knowing that there is so much support and knowledge on here for those who are new to this.