What else do I need??

A general forum and a place for initial or prospective users. See Manuals/Documentation
Click here to enter
Contact a Forum Administrator
If unsure where to post, post in this sub-forum.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

A112H
MS/Extra Newbie

What else do I need??

Post by A112H »

So I received my delivery today and couldn't be happier :yeah!:
I got;
1 x MegaSquirt-II EMS System - SMD PCB3.57 Assembled ECU
1 x MegaSquirt Tuning Cable (DB9 Straight Thru)
1 x 10' MegaSquirt Wiring Harness (MS1 / MS2 / MS3 Ready)

So I am converting a complete, running stock Efi engine to use the MS-II. So I have the coolant sensors, TPS and so on but I am not sure what I need in the way of spark.
I am wanting to run a trigger wheel on the crank and a hall sensor.

Questions;
1. What coil pack is recommended for an inline 4 or should I just use the one sold by DIY?
1a. I have a new coil pack from a Galant VR4, is this any use?
2. I see on my loom there is one wire for the coil(s). Is this fine for a 4 outlet coil pack or do I need something else in between?

I am sure there is more, i will get back to you, lol
Rick Finsta
Master MS/Extra'er

Re: What else do I need??

Post by Rick Finsta »

The single ignition output is useful for spark distribution with a single coil and a distributor. You will need to READ THIS (bottom of Page 67 to start), and then decide how you want to modify your unit to run two or four spark outputs. Two would be a "Wasted Spark" system where there are always two coils firing at once - one cylinder on its power stroke and one on the exhaust stroke. Four would be more challenging (well the first three are more challenging than the fourth) but allow you to run full coil on plug ignition.

Oh, and did I mention READ THIS?
A112H
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by A112H »

Awesome reply, thank you Rick.
I am thinking for now I will keep my dizzy and run the single coil. Maybe down the track mess with it and run a wasted spark set up.

So, am I correct in thinking I am good to go if I run the stock coil and dizzy?
A112H
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by A112H »

Got my custom manifold today and I am very happy. But I have another question, do I need an idle control valve?? I don't run air conditioning or power steering so I would think I wouldn't need it but the MSII may need it for some reason?

elutionsdesign
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by elutionsdesign »

Wow, nice picture, being heavily involved in G54b's I've never seen an ITB setup with the correct 100 mm spacing between cylinders, where did those come from?

I've found these motors to be very tolerant at idle even with A/C and power steering, you won't need an idle valve. The factory idle valve on these cars was an odd beast that can't be adapted to MS, I have done a few 2 wire and 3 wire idle valves but it just isn't needed. My own car idles at 900 rpm beautifully and the only downside is cold idle would be 500 rpm if you didn't keep your foot on the gas a bit at first.
Graduate of EFI University.

I build, repair, install and tune Megasquirt systems in North Dakota and beyond!
A112H
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by A112H »

Awesome news, thank you. I was running the stock Magna efi on this before without the idle up and it was exactly as you discribed, 900rpm warm and 500rpm cold.
The throttle plates are RB26DETT GTR Skyline. We did a few measurements and was amazed to find they are just about a perfect fit. They are also 46mm which is spot on to the M7 head I am running.
I wanted everything hidden away as much as possible, in that pic above it is fully fitted and ready to go, injectors, throttle cable, TPS, fuel rail and 4 vacuum ports. Just all hiding :o
More pics :D