Simple and Quick Grounding Question

A general forum and a place for initial or prospective users. See Manuals/Documentation
Click here to enter
Contact a Forum Administrator
If unsure where to post, post in this sub-forum.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

dnz
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Simple and Quick Grounding Question

Post by dnz »

I am currently wiring up a microsquirt unit on a motorcycle.

In regards to grounding, all documentation including http://www.msextra.com/doc/general/grounding.html indicate that grounds need to be connected to one common point on the block to avoid loops and noise.

In my application, the Microsquirt unit will be mounted at the rear of the tail, with the battery just under the main seat and the nearest engine grounding point slightly further up the front of the bike.

This means that to ground the microsquirt to the block as recommended I am actually running more wire than if I was to ground these points to the battery (and the grounding wires will be physically running straight past the battery to get to the block).
Is there any issue with grounding straight to the battery terminal instead of the block? I personally don't think so but I am struggling to find information to back this up.

Thanks
elutionsdesign
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: Simple and Quick Grounding Question

Post by elutionsdesign »

I've done just that without issues. Just make sure everything comes to the battery, nothing going to the frame.
Graduate of EFI University.

I build, repair, install and tune Megasquirt systems in North Dakota and beyond!
ewflyer
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by ewflyer »

Your project sounds very similar to my project. I'm working on a 1993 Suzuki GSF400 Bandit. I haven't finished the build yet, but I'm getting close.

Here's my build-thread: http://forums.banditalley.net/index.php?topic=13747.0. I haven't updated it lately because I've been working on the wiring, which isn't very interesting for pictures. I'm planning to update it sometime next week.

On the Bandit I had to re-locate the battery to the tail of the bike because I needed the OEM battery location for the fuel pump. Just like you I then had to run a longer-than-stock grounding cable to the original main grounding point (on the Bandit this is one of the two bolts that mount the starter motor to the engine block). The Bandit has a two-piece seat, "driver" and "passenger" so I've removed the "passenger" seat and will be replacing it with a solo cowl.

As far as the Microsquirt grounds (the two Black wires from Pin 22 and Pin 23), I ran them to the original main ground point on the starter bolt.
dnz
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by dnz »

I will just run the grounds to the battery and be sure they don't go to the frame at all.
Thanks