New MS3x user with ka24det

A general forum and a place for initial or prospective users. See Manuals/Documentation
Click here to enter
Contact a Forum Administrator
If unsure where to post, post in this sub-forum.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

callmelinc
MS/Extra Newbie

New MS3x user with ka24det

Post by callmelinc »

I recently purchased an MS3X v3.57 pre-assembled and the diyautotune trigger disc with the plan to squirt my 95 240sx ka24det build. I got the ms3x with the intention of only using the basic features and getting into what the expansion board offers later. I was going to run batch injection and the factory single internal coil/distributor but now I am not sure this is my best option because there doesn't seem to be much information out on this. I thought that buying the ms3x was best bang for my buck and would not need to upgrade later. I also have the main harness connector pig tail to wire in to the factory Nissan harness. I am struggling a little bit right now and these are some of the questions I have:
-In order to use the factory Nissan optical cam sensor I need to follow diy's directions on the hardware setup (using the vr input)?
-Are there any other hardware modifications I would have to do to use the factory coil?
-Should my ignition setting look as follows? (since diy only shows settings for sequential)
Spark mode: Toothed Wheel
Ignition input capture: Rising Edge( ms2 insalls suggest falling edge but ms3 rising, why is that?)
Spark output: Going High/ Inverted
Trigger wheel arrangement: single wheel with missing tooth
Trigger wheel teeth: 12
Missing Teeth: 1
Tooth #1 angle: 345 (This varies slightly between individual engines. Check with a timing light and adjust as needed.)
Wheel speed: Crank wheel
Second trigger active on: ?
Spark hardware in use: ????? I have 4 options and I'm not sure what any of that does to be honest
-I opened up the ms2 base map for a 95 240sx ka24de with 12-1 trigger wheel in a temporary project to get some of the settings such as dwell times because I can't find an ms3 base map for it, is that an okay practice? When I did that I noticed the tooth #1 angle to be 146 degrees as opposed to the 345 suggested on the disc install page, is that incorrect?

I think those are my questions for now. I am trying to grasp a hold of this before the ms3 gets wired into the car (I have a stimulator v2.2 to get me by). If anyone has some insight or could point me in the right direction that would be awesome. And if trying to use the factory coil and distributor set up is a waste of time let me know, I do have 4 ls coils and connectors sitting around from a previous project, I just figured single coil and batch would be a better place to get my feet wet, thanks.
callmelinc
MS/Extra Newbie

Re: New MS3x user with ka24det

Post by callmelinc »

I also have a hardware question. When setting up the ms3 for the optical cam sensor the directions say to use a 1k resistor. Is this a 1/4 watt? Or 1/8 watt? Or some other?
thomas1510
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Re: New MS3x user with ka24det

Post by thomas1510 »

Either should be fine.
98 Subaru Forester, ej205 turbo, MS2 extra.

1970 Datsun 510 turbo running MSx 029t. L20b with wasted spark, 4-1 crank wheel, td04 turbo