First Project DIYPNP for a 1990 Porsche S2

A general forum and a place for initial or prospective users. See Manuals/Documentation
Click here to enter
Contact a Forum Administrator
If unsure where to post, post in this sub-forum.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

AZbanks
MS/Extra Newbie

First Project DIYPNP for a 1990 Porsche S2

Post by AZbanks »

Hello, First post for my first MS project.

I am building a DIYPNP Bosch 55 pin kit. It is based on MS2/E Firmware Version 3.0.3 or later. It will be installed on a 1990 Porsche 944 S2 Cabriolet.

I'm planning a full sequential injection and COP ignition. I bought the sequential injection upgrade kit, AFM removal kit(AIT sensor) and a 4 bar MAP sensor(I will be rebuilding this engine and turbocharging it).

It is an ambitious project and I am excited to see the results. My plan is to get MS built, installed, and tuned for the current naturally aspirated engine. Once I have that finished, I will pull the engine, rebuild it with proper forged turbo pistons and forged rods, and put it all back together with a turbo and FMIC.

I will be replacing quite a bit of the 25 year old wiring and sensors with newer style connectors,and sensors, etc.

The factory 60-1 crank/flywheel trigger wheel and hall sensor on the cam will help make this project a little easier. I've been doing a lot of reading in the manuals and on the various MS forums and all that reading is making me really happy I'm not working with an older 944 or 944 turbo.
IMG_4590-r.jpg
Last edited by AZbanks on Sun Oct 19, 2014 10:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
elutionsdesign
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: First Project DIYPNP for a 1990 Porsche S2

Post by elutionsdesign »

Cool project, best of luck!
Graduate of EFI University.

I build, repair, install and tune Megasquirt systems in North Dakota and beyond!
AZbanks
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by AZbanks »

I'm new to this forum but I am not new to car forums in general. I'm familiar with doing searches and I've tried a bunch of different searches here and come up relatively empty handed so I hope someone can answer some questions.
There doesn't seem to be a lot of 944 S2 specific information here.(yet, I hope to change that with the help of you fine folks)

I'm trying to figure out which COP's would require the least amount of components and customization for my car. I know that these from a 1.8 liter VW will work but I'm not sure if they are the easiest to set up. Any suggestions?

http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/SiteSea ... /ES260103/
elutionsdesign
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by elutionsdesign »

It will come down to a smart type coil (more than two wires) or a dumb coil (two wires). I've done many dumb coil COP setups, DIYautotune sells a nice coil driver called a QuadSpark that is very easy to wire up and understand. That will drive any two wire coil pack in a wasted spark or fully sequential (done both). Those VAG coils in your link are four wire, just put a set of them in my son's 1.8T and replaced the connectors while I was at it, they seem pretty robust. Maybe look at what someone else has done that fits as you'll have to come up with a custom way of mounting them securely.
Graduate of EFI University.

I build, repair, install and tune Megasquirt systems in North Dakota and beyond!
old guy
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by old guy »

Search for 106 coil on this forum and you will find information on a really nice coil for your application. It is small,all in one unit and pretty cheap if you do some searching on E-Bay.
AZbanks
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by AZbanks »

My project will be a COP(coil on plug) setup, not a single coil setup.
ramius665
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by ramius665 »

AZbanks,
I'm in the process of doing a very similar build. Haven't posted on Rennlist about it yet because I really don't want to hear the crowd complain about going with a DIYPNP vs some of the other stand alones.

I've got an 89 S2 engine that will be COP and full sequential as well. I purchased a set of genuine Audi 1.8T coils from Amazon with the harness-side connectors for $120/shipped. After putting them on the engine, they are just a bit too short to clear the valve cover. Speaking with some of the guys in Europe via PMs, apparently the 2.0 FSI coils are just slightly longer which allows them to clear the valve cover. Fit would be easier with a 968 valve cover but there's a lot of parts necessary to make the switch. At least one person on RL used a male/female standoff on the end of the plug to gain the needed clearance.

I'm turbocharging my motor from the start, so it will be getting a SFR 16V turbo intake and will re-use the S2 headers. I'm using a flange machined to match the S2 headers which will be welded to the 951 crossover. There are a surprising amount of custom exhaust threads out there of guys building very impressive exhaust components but I don't trust my welding and fabrication skills well enough to try my hand at building them.

Very interested to see how your build goes. Are you going to retain the S2 wiring harness or build your own? Right now I'm somewhere in between, I plan to start with a S2 harness which I will de-construct to add in the wiring necessary for the coils and delete some of the unnecessary wiring. Shoot me a PM on RL (same forum name there) if you'd like to swap data.
AZbanks
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by AZbanks »

elutionsdesign wrote:It will come down to a smart type coil (more than two wires) or a dumb coil (two wires). I've done many dumb coil COP setups, DIYautotune sells a nice coil driver called a QuadSpark that is very easy to wire up and understand. That will drive any two wire coil pack in a wasted spark or fully sequential (done both). Those VAG coils in your link are four wire, just put a set of them in my son's 1.8T and replaced the connectors while I was at it, they seem pretty robust. Maybe look at what someone else has done that fits as you'll have to come up with a custom way of mounting them securely.

From the information I have found, I believe that using these coil packs will mean that I do not need to install the R10, R11, R12, and R13 resistors. Do you know if this is correct?
AZbanks
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by AZbanks »

Is there a location/thread that has several visio(or other format) wiring diagrams?
prof315
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by prof315 »

Be careful with VAG coils..... most of them require a logic trigger that is more robust than the standard one on a microsquirt/DIYPNP.
Linfert Performance/321 Motorsports
SCCA 2019 SM National Champion Crew Chief
SCCA 2023 FP National Champion Tuner/electrical engineer
100s of MS systems built installed and tuned
Support the developers!
AZbanks
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by AZbanks »

prof315 wrote:Be careful with VAG coils..... most of them require a logic trigger that is more robust than the standard one on a microsquirt/DIYPNP.

So what should I do to fix that? Are there any threads that address these issues?
prof315
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by prof315 »

AZbanks wrote:
prof315 wrote:Be careful with VAG coils..... most of them require a logic trigger that is more robust than the standard one on a microsquirt/DIYPNP.

So what should I do to fix that? Are there any threads that address these issues?
The simplest thing to do is use a different logic coil. If you feel you just HAVE to run them then: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 91&t=53612
Linfert Performance/321 Motorsports
SCCA 2019 SM National Champion Crew Chief
SCCA 2023 FP National Champion Tuner/electrical engineer
100s of MS systems built installed and tuned
Support the developers!